What's new

Question Was out of the loop for long time, having 2 questions

I am a PC player, havent played since January, came back after PC MKXL release but burned out quick, coming back again, and need two things explained:

1.What was the deal with "armor breaking moves"? From what I ve read there was such a thing earlier but its not existant now, is that correct?

2.How does "stagger pressure" work? I hear this term a lot since latest patch and dont understand it fully.

Thank you in advance, I just wish to get fundamentals in check.

Matix218

Get over here!
I am a PC player, havent played since January, came back after PC MKXL release but burned out quick, coming back again, and need two things explained:

1.What was the deal with "armor breaking moves"? From what I ve read there was such a thing earlier but its not existant now, is that correct?

2.How does "stagger pressure" work? I hear this term a lot since latest patch and dont understand it fully.

Armor breaking moves are moves that hit multiple times very quickly which allowed them to break a single hit of armor. Many armored moves (specifically wake up armored moves) now have more than one hit of armor which makes armor breaking in the current version much more difficult.

A prime example was Ninjutsu scorpions f2 that used to shred through armored wakeups like they were not even there, but now with the two hits of armor on armored wakeups this no longer works.

Stagger pressure is simply staggering moves/strings that are plus on block to allow you to keep your opponent guessing as to when they should be pressing a button again. So lets say you have a safe 212 string and the 21 is +2. You may do 21, 21, 212 or 21, 21 throw or 21 then start another string, etc. You wouldnt want to stagger a string when the sub parts of the string has bad frame data on block. So if in the previous example the 21 part of the string was -6 on block, you are going to get beat out by your opponent before you would be able to follow up with anything of your own, thus rendering the "stagger" mindgame useless.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
If you want some games, I'd be up for a few, and I mostly use stagger pressure as Venomous D'vorah. She's also one of the few characters that still has a fairly consistent armor break. Steam is Coin Flip [USA]

Glad to see you getting back into the game man. Enjoy and have fun!