What's new

Wanting to learn SF

I've primarily been a MK guy, but lately I've really gotten into the SF series. I've never really payed much attention to it until recently. Although I have to admit, reading some information on SRK, watching videos, I can honestly say, it DOES look a lot more complex than any other FG I've played. There's like tons of pages of information that's overwhelming me, so, I'd thought I'd ask the MK community, maybe they can shed some light, before I purchase.

First things first, I've noticed, that as opposed to MK9, combos in SF, consist of like 2-5 hits, that's a combo in SF, which I'm still getting used to.

It's like SF combos are like a Jab or 2 and a special. That's how I always see combos, in streams or videos.

Is this correct?

Also, I've notice that the primary gameplay in SF, is ALOT of footsies and pokes, with some jabs into specials.

There's so much to learn, and I feel as if I'm starting out to late, Lol. FADC, Armor, Supers, Ultra, Fakes, Throws, Techs, ugh to much things and techniques.

What would be your best advice? I've been interested in Ibuki, Dalshim, and some others I can't think of now.

Also, I've been planning on getting a HitBox, keep in mind, no matter what I end up getting a Stick or HitBox, if will be completely foreign and new to me. So, IMO, I thought a HB, would be the best fit. Since, I've played on pad, use the computer a lot, and have played some MMOs on PC for sometime.

What's your guys take on that?

Thanks!

Victor

Noob
Street Fighter is an awesome fighter. Better than MK hands down if you ask me. I used to be an MK player myself, but now it seems like I've switched to SF 100% of the time. I currently have about 13,500 games played on AE and over 1000 hours logged on PSN, just from playing SF, (yeah, I know, it's kind of a lot, lol).

It's not really as complex, full of depth, or balanced as you may think, though. It's true, the game is full of footsies, pokes, jabs, mix-ups, knockdowns, etc., but the main thing I would focus on is the match-ups. There are a ton of combinations of character match-ups, and you need to know what tools to utilize vs. each one of these characters using your specific chosen character of choice. I personally use 7 characters; my roster looks like: Seth, Sagat, Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dhalsim, Zangief. I am fairly good with all of them and for the most part I practically know all of their match-ups (most of the knowledge has come from watching videos, though).

Also, you don't necessarily need a stick to play this game, though it does help, pads do just fine. I personally use a pad and I can play this game just as well as anyone else can. There are a lot of really good pad players, even pad players that have won big tournys or have placed really good in them (Vangief being an example; seeing as he is one of the best Gief players in the world in my opinion and uses a pad at that).

There is a lot to go over when it comes to this game, but yeah. If you have any questions you can just ask. I'm always free to help convert people to the Street Fighter side of things! lol.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
I'm trying very hard to learn this, but it's pretty much impossible now. Why? There is NO ONE online you can have a good game with. Everybody who's playing plays since vanilla or the beginning of chocolate so they will just sweep the floor with you. No new players. Why? Because this game is no fun for beginners. At all. Add me on XBL if you'd like to play. Maybe we can have some fun out of that shit lol.

gamesun

Noob
I think ur right in that the game focuses on pokes n what not but also like most fighting games but i think this series in particular is about timing I played sf4 for more than a year got my record real good had like a 80% win percentage n I didn't know a lot of combos it's all about timing waiting 4 ur opponent to leave an opening unlike mk that sometimes u can wing it n win don't get me wrong I prefer mk but sf is the series ahead of it's time every one else just borrows

JrK

Probably Drunk
I've made the jump from MK to sf myself. I get owned like mad, I get frustrated to no end, but I feel like it's just more than a dial a combo and get lucky. There is more depth in regards to learning and self improvement

doomfarmer

unorthodox
Street Fighter IS a more complex game. Any high level players of both MK and SF will tell you this. When you read threads about "MK is the best" or "it's just as deep as Street Fighter", these are also the same kids that say, you know, "Street Fighter and Tekken are gay" or whatever. They just don't know what they're talking about. Genuine scrubs. (For the record, MK is where my <3 is though)

The PROBLEM with getting into SF at this point, like other posters have mentioned, is that it's very had for a beginner now due to the fact everyone else has been playing this game for so long. If you have other friends that will play it with you, pick it up. SF is fun as hell, there's a lot to it. If you don't really have other people to learn with it's going to be a serious uphill battle for you, and you may want to just stick with leveling up your MK game because you already have your foot in the door.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Oh and best advice IS.........do NOT start with the SF4 series.

Go back to either Hyper Fighter or Super Turbo and learn the basics. I cannot even begin to describe to tell you how important that is. But good luck. Those games are amazing, and it will lead you into other classics like the Alpha Series, Vs (not MvC3 or TvC) and the SF3's.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Yes maam, SF is the bomb!

The best place to find good street fighter tips, if you're new is Eventhubs.com. They have easy to read guides that can help you get started. Also go to shoryuken.com, where there is a plethora of information for each character. If you haven't already, you can sign up there and ask questions in every character's general discussion thread.

I love the footsies in SF, makes me feel like i'm in a real kung fu match at times. Having to learn when to poke, what to poke, how to avoid pokes, all that shit is fun as hell as to me. There are many link combos, which require strict timing, for pro players, but the good thing about SF is that you can improvise combos based on your ability.

For example, Rufus' bread and butter is a difficult one frame link(meaning you have one frame to input correctly) from weak kick to fierce punch, then Galactic Tornado. I just do low weak kick to galactic tornado. Less damage, but easier to pull off.

I hope you enjoy your time with SF. I was never good at the games, but SF4 rekindled my interest by making things a lot easier than the older series (much to many ppl chagrin), and I hope it can keep you interested too.

Plus were getting a free new patch this year, so that's good too!