What's new

Wake up attacks in MK11

Justfitz

Noob
I am aware of the universal options available to each character when getting up from the ground, and I rather like the changes. Although I've noticed that either my timing is terrible or it's not possible to perform a wake up special move, and my opponents haven't been doing wake up specials either. I know that wake up specials wouldn't have invincibility of course, but if it's true that you can't perform them as a true reversal that seems like a slight oversight.

There are times that it would be nice to get up with a shadow kick with jade for example. I'm wondering if maybe NRS didn't want people to wake up with parties, like jade's or scarlets. Of course this is all depending if it's true that it's no longer possible. Thoughts?

Justfitz

Noob
it is true, there are no wakeup specials, just up +2 and up + 3
Ah, I see. I guess I was hoping for a bit more in the way of wake up options. Imo the up 2 and 3 don't really seem to cover enough of the bases, at least with the characters we've been given. I like the idea of what they're going for, but I'm kinda worried that people may eventually figure out how to beat almost all of your offensive wake up options. I've notice alot of people going for alot more down 2's and 4's on wake up compared to what we saw in mkx. Whether that's because people aren't familiar with the new wake up options, or of it's because people dont really trust them to get the job done, I'm not sure.

Now, I know you wouldn't want to let people MB wake up specials. Obviously that would defeat the purpose in what they're trying to do, and you wouldn't want Kabal waking up with a move like his dash attack. But I have to admit, I'll miss having the versatility and options that having true wake up specials provide. I'll really miss the additional mind games that they can provide.

Justfitz

Noob
It’s the same as wakeups, you have to do it as you’re getting up.
In retrospect it may have been meter mismanagement that was causing me to screw it up. Still getting used to the meter in the game lol.

Do we know if the wake up up 2 or 3 is punishable for any of the characters? I hardly get them used against me, so it's hard to figure out.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I still can’t land a single roll. Has to be the timing. On Xbox I cannot get LT and left or right to work.
I think that is the 1 noticeable advantage on ps4 pads, the trigger/button difference. The timing with the trigger takes a lot more getting used to. I've played it on both now & can get it fine on ps & was @ 25% on xb.

In retrospect it may have been meter mismanagement that was causing me to screw it up. Still getting used to the meter in the game lol.

Do we know if the wake up up 2 or 3 is punishable for any of the characters? I hardly get them used against me, so it's hard to figure out.
Yea I had the same problem with specials lol. I have trouble sometimes getting a special to come out, but I forget I have the input window at short so I have to do it quick. Same thing with the rolls, you have to remember timing and resources lol

Justfitz

Noob
Yea I had the same problem with specials lol. I have trouble sometimes getting a special to come out, but I forget I have the input window at short so I have to do it quick. Same thing with the rolls, you have to remember timing and resources lol
I play on a stick and I cannot fathom wanting input timing on long. The amount of input memory it stores is insane, you'd be getting accidental specials all over the place. Even medium was so unacceptable that I had to change it right away.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think the no wakeup special was a great change considering how obnoxious some of those wakeups have been. Imagine playing against Mileena in MKX but she can't meterlessly ball roll on wakeup, that would be rad. It's nice to not have people spamming Scorp's teleport on wakeup and whatnot.

I still still try to do a wakeup projectile every once in a while

Justfitz

Noob
I think the no wakeup special was a great change considering how obnoxious some of those wakeups have been. Imagine playing against Mileena in MKX but she can't meterlessly ball roll on wakeup, that would be rad. It's nice to not have people spamming Scorp's teleport on wakeup and whatnot.

The new system is DEFINITELY more balanced, I'd be a fool to argue that. But I guess I'm just worried they went overboard in terms of normalizing wake up options. Does making everyone's wake up options nearly identical diminish the flavor and diversity of each unique character/variation? In mkx characters were even balanced around their wake up game to some degree. It added another layer to why you might choose one character over the other.

I just really hope there isn't an ideal way to deal with all options, while maintaining pressure. I'm hoping that characters movesets have been tailored to be balanced around the risk/reward of the new system. Only time will tell in that regard though.

That being said, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a combination of the mkx and inj2 system. Giving only certain specials wake up invincibility frames, but charge a bar of meter for using a wake up special. I think that would be fun, but I'm not as smart as NRS obviously.

There are probably reasons they went this direction that I'm not even considering. Plus this is still all really fresh. Who knows, by the time release hits, there might be nuances to the system we didnt even realize.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
The new system is DEFINITELY more balanced, I'd be a fool to argue that. But I guess I'm just worried they went overboard in terms of normalizing wake up options. Does making everyone's wake up options nearly identical diminish the flavor and diversity of each unique character/variation? In mkx characters were even balanced around their wake up game to some degree. It added another layer to why you might choose one character over the other.

I just really hope there isn't an ideal way to deal with all options, while maintaining pressure. I'm hoping that characters movesets have been tailored to be balanced around the risk/reward of the new system. Only time will tell in that regard though.

That being said, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a combination of the mkx and inj2 system. Giving only certain specials wake up invincibility frames, but charge a bar of meter for using a wake up special. I think that would be fun, but I'm not as smart as NRS obviously.

There are probably reasons they went this direction that I'm not even considering. Plus this is still all really fresh. Who knows, by the time release hits, there might be nuances to the system we didnt even realize.
There is definite quality of play in the new wake up system the u3 is a wake up for grounded opponents and from what i can gather u2 is to stop jump ins well at least with skarlet anyways then when the skill increases they can bate your wake up with a neutral jump kombo and thats what back/forward roll is for also holding l2 delays your wakeup

Justfitz

Noob
There is definite quality of play in the new wake up system the u3 is a wake up for grounded opponents and from what i can gather u2 is to stop jump ins well at least with skarlet anyways then when the skill increases they can bate your wake up with a neutral jump kombo and thats what back/forward roll is for also holding l2 delays your wakeup
One question I have is does the u2 wake up have any sort of upper body invincibility?

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter

Those are not ecen bad, you can bait them and punish all day. Those that are not punishable (Shinnok’s shoulder, Liu’s Dragon Roar, Kenshi’s BF2) on block or toigh to punish (Scorpion’s takedown) are the cancer of MKX wake ups. Not even touching backdashes ( just compare Triborg’s with Kung Lao’s)