What's new

General/Other - Ferra/Torr Vote for how we should reference Ferra/Torr in conversation; He, She, They, It?

How shall we call Ferra/Torr?

• Total voters

GGA Max

Some discussion I had with 16 bit about this. How should we call Ferra/Torr in conversation?

IMO...

My problem with "They" is if you say:
They're a great fighter.
Or
Subzero's only bad matchup is them.
Grammatically incorrect.

Argument for "she":
Ferra gives the commands and speaks in the openning battle cries.

Argument for "he":
Torr actually does the work in the fight and can actually fight by himself.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
With a "symbiosis" of that type I usually go with the "dominant" half of the team. So I used "she" or neutral words BUT one of their "types" is just Torr with Ferra in the background so I'd use "he"
Definitely an interesting question
I'd think we'll end up just using/shortening the name and using that for all situations

Grammatically incorrect.
"Subzero's only bad matchup is them"

-is not grammatically incorrect at all. Just sounds weird because you're using passive tense (Object, Verb, Subject).

Active tense (Subject, Verb, Object) "They are Sub Zero's only bad matchup"

It sounds grammatically incorrect the way you put it, because you are using passive tense, which puts the subject of the sentence (Ferrah/Torr) AFTER the Object of the sentence (Sub Zero). So you end up having to use "is" which is a singular verb, even though the subject is plural, because the subject comes after the object. When you put subject and object in the right order, your verb always matches the singular/plurality of the subject and therefore sounds correct.

Last edited:

GGA Max

"Subzero's only bad matchup is them"

Is not grammatically incorrect at all. Just sounds weird because you're using passive tense.

"They are Sub Zero's only bad matchup"
True, but I feel like some situations would certainly arise where you need to refer to them as a single character, but using "they" would be incorrect.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Some discussion I had with 16 bit about this. How should we call Ferra/Torr in conversation?

IMO...

They're a great fighter.
Or
Subzero's only bad matchup is Ferra/Torr.
Grammatically incorrect.

Argument for "she":

Argument for "he":
I think we should refer to Ferra/Torr as they, unless he/she needs to be specified individually. For example, "Ferra/Torr is a bad matchup for Subs." Or, "Ferra's a little bitch."

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
oh god not this liberal mumbo jumbo j/k

But seriously, he because he's the one doing the work lol

REYTHEGREAT

It's common sense. HE. He is the one doing all the work and can fight without her. She's just there being used as a projectile or whatever.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I would almost guarantee this is what it'll be the majority of the time. We literally had the exact same thing in MK: D with Noob/Smoke. You didn't need an article. Anywhere you would place a he/she/it... you just plugged in N/S.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Part of it can also depend on what variety you use. Since one of them only have Torr fighting while Ferra is on the side lines watching. Although saying they would be the correct answer in the situation probably. But saying both their names is probably easier. Or just their full name as a whole. Ferra Torr. As one full name. Such as Borth Majar being two names included into one name.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!

IMO...

They're a great fighter.
Or
Grammatically incorrect.

Argument for "she":

Argument for "he":
Why am i not surprised he could be ur main :D

coolwhip

Noob
I'm just gonna say Ferra/Torr
"Kitana beats Kung Lao 6-4. She controls the air so he can't dive kick and tele at will. On top of that, she dominates the footsies with her rangy normals and better pokes. Her low hitbox really troubles him too and if he makes a bad read on a spin, she takes half his life."

Now, I'm sure there's a way around it, but if I were to say the above in an oral conversation while replacing Kitana with Ferra/Torr, it would sound hella repetitive.