What's new

Viennality Top 8 Results and Breakdown

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

GOOOODDDDD AFTERNOOOON TYM. In a change of pace for the US FGC, Viennality's Top 8 took place on the 8PM main-stage over in Vienna, which resulted in things going down 3PM EST. Speaking of results (you like that segue?) TYM has got your back with the play-by-play and the winner of that $10k pot bonus.

Here's who actually got into this Top 8:

Winner's
bc Biohazard vs. PG Kitana Prime
PG Hayatei vs. Irishmantis

Loser's
NASR Shark Teeth vs. HappyPow
NASR Tekken Master vs. bc Honeybee

As usual, just click that spoiler for the details. The stream will be available on the NRS Twitch and Youtube. Yes, the NRS Youtube. Not EPIC FGC STREAMZ or some other weird Russian/Chinese rip. The NRS Youtube. NRS YOUTUBE. Anyways, here we go!

P.S. NRS YOUUUTUBE

P.P.S. Super proud of the community for tuning in to the stream, started out at 11k before things got started, and the count just grew from there (14k as of putting this piece together). This is how you show support for a game.

Opening things on top and super quick, we got right into it with Biohazard vs Kitana Prime. Closing game 1 out with a super, KP's Harley Quinn brought out some hype to match the general shipment brought in from the Bane Train. After going down 2 games, Biohazard swapped over to Starfire hoping to slow KP down some. And that he did, Biohazard brought it back 2-2, forcing KP to switch to Wonder Woman. In a game 5 that went down to the wire, Biohazard brought it back 3-2.

Next on the list was Hayatei against Irish Mantis. It was Robin against Atrocitus, red vs. red, angry teenager vs angry blood potato. After a decisive game 1 for Hayatei, Irish Mantis made some adjustments to bring it back in game 2 and to hold Hayatei to a relatively close game 3. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough for him, Hayatei won the set 3-1.

Over to Loser's, we were looking at Shark Teeth's Supergirl up against HappyPow, that French Flash playing madman. Shark Teeth was looking real good game 1, but HappyPow ran it back for game 2. After some quick advice from Tekken Master, Shark Teeth took game 3, putting HappyPow in danger of going home. In the end, HappyPow was able to run it back and take the set 3-2.

Taking over for the fallen NASR member was Tekken Master playing against Honeybee. Honeybee stuck it out as our second Flash of the night while Tekken Master was our second Atrocitus. Tekken Master took game 1 and kept Honeybee from really doing anything of substance against him. Honeybee played a bit more defensive game 2 and was able to tie it up 1-1. In a super close game 3, Honeybee made an amazing read on TM's trait and brought the score up 2-1. It was at this point, TM revealed that he's been playing Atom and brought him out for game 4. It ended up being a poor decision and Honeybee took the set 3-1 with another crazy read.

In a match that nobody wanted to see, we had the two EU crowd favorites up to eliminate each other: HappyPow against Irish Mantis. Once again, we had the Flash against Atrocitus. After a slight delay due to some sound issues, Irish Mantis took game 1. HappyPow ran it back game 2, showing us some strange Flash tech you can do to trade a hit and still combo. Sitting on a potential game winning super, Happypow went down in game 3. In a heartbreaking game 3 that had quite possibly the first Match Extended ever during Injustice 2's tournament life, Irish Mantis took the set 3-1 and sent HappyPow home.

Next was Kitana Prime playing Honeybee. KP decide to start things off with Wonder Woman while Honeybee took some notes from his brother and opened up with Starfire. Despite some good reads by KP, Honeybee stayed strong in games 1 and 2 for the win. Clearly feeling better with her in this match up, KP stuck with Wonder Woman for game 3. Finally getting a game on the board, KP brought things over to game 4, looking much more confident with a win. Honeybee was able to win the next game and closed out the set 3-1.

Back to winners, we had Biohazard's surprise Cheetah against Hayatei's Robin. It looks like Biohazard has been working on this for a while, as he took game 1 looking like a day 1 Cheetah main. Game 2 went even better for Biohazard, devouring Hayatei's lifebar and putting him on the bad side of a 2-0. In a much closer game 3, Hayatei put up a fight, but Biohazard was able to close things out 3-0 and moved on to Grand Finals.

Playing for the opportunity for a shot against Hayatei and Grand Finals was not Irish Mantis' Atrocitus against Honeybee's Starfire. Honeybee took games 1 and 2, taking away Mantis' hope of that 3rd place finish that he needs to stay competitive in the IPS standings. In game 3, dreamkiller Honeybee won, taking the set 3-0 and moving on to Loser's Finals.

In the battle for the Biohazard runback, Hayatei's Robin duked it out against Honeybee's Starfire. Game 1 was looking fine for Honeybee, whose Starfire has been on a tear his last few sets. After taking a minute to breathe, Hayatei came back looking a lot stronger in game 2 and got a point on the board. Riding this momentum out, he took game 3 and rolled into game 4 taking the first life-bar. Despite a good fight from Honeybee, Hayatei came out the winner 3-1 and earned his rematch against Biohazard.

Over in Grand Finals, Hayatei opened up the set by using his Phone-a-Friend to get some advice (yes, you are allowed those, don't ask me why nobody used it before now) and kept his Robin vs. Biohazard's Cheetah. Whatever advice he got didn't seem to help, Biohazard looked just as good as he did in Winner's Finals. Not even taking a health bar, Hayatei took another minute to try and figure out what options he had. Despite finally doing some damage, Biohazard ran away with game 2, looking better than Sonic with this pick. Hayatei slowed things down in game 3, finally getting some control over this runaway train. He brought things down to the last chunk of life, but Biohazard was not going to be stopped. He took the set 3-0 and became the Viennality 2018 champion.

So there you have it. Apparently Canada is the best country for the NRS scene right now, taking the top 3 spots in this Top 8. They will be coming for that IPS money, so be on the look out for that.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
This was a pretty great major for the NRS scene. Not a lot of people went, but a ton of viewers, things actually ran on time, the most of the matches were great.

i appreciate the no spoilers approach here, but then pushing the winner into the faces of people who dont even visit tym, but via facebook, is just dumb. and please dont tell me to unfollow tym.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
i appreciate the no spoilers approach here, but then pushing the winner into the faces of people who dont even visit tym, but via facebook, is just dumb. and please dont tell me to unfollow tym.
If this sounds hostile, I don't mean it to be. I'm going to tell you to unfollow TYM if that's an issue. Unless you want to start a campaign to get the entire FGC to not talk about tourney events on social media until you can get around to watching a stream, I'm not seeing the problem

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
un
unfollow tym

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think the highlight for me was seeing some enchantress play. I know she has a rep for bing a little gimmicky.. but I still think she is pretty strong. She is the kind of character that if the NRS scene had some staying power would get some legend working out how to be a killer with her. The two year cycle in NRS doesn't give enough time for these kind of characters to breath.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I think the highlight for me was seeing some enchantress play. I know she has a rep for bing a little gimmicky.. but I still think she is pretty strong. She is the kind of character that if the NRS scene had some staying power would get some legend working out how to be a killer with her. The two year cycle in NRS doesn't give enough time for these kind of characters to breath.
Good thing that NRS is (possibly!) delaying their next big release :p

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I feel like INJ2 has a lot of characters like that.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Revetleafing has been demoing Cheetah for a while on War of the Gods. he has beaten Biohazard a few times, and I am kinda sure that Bio picked her up after seeing revet. She can drop HUGE damage... and has a really unique playstyle. If you look at Bio's games at vienality then you can see that he is still pretty loose with her.. I mean he did excellent do not get me wrong.. but he hardly ever used her trait. It recharges super quick and he should be popping it much more often. So, if he keeps at it.. basically.. you ain't seen nothing yet.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Revetleafing has been demoing Cheetah for a while on War of the Gods. he has beaten Biohazard a few times, and I am kinda sure that Bio picked her up after seeing revet. She can drop HUGE damage... and has a really unique playstyle. If you look at Bio's games at vienality then you can see that he is still pretty loose with her.. I mean he did excellent do not get me wrong.. but he hardly ever used her trait. It recharges super quick and he should be popping it much more often. So, if he keeps at it.. basically.. you ain't seen nothing yet.
Honestly, I think this might be the better character for him. Grappler with a ton of damage, like Bane, but has significantly better mobility

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
That was an excellent tournament for sure. It brought a ton of great moments and matches, huge kudos to everyone.

I was so glad that both of my friends, Yammini and Harukaze returned to Viennality to compete. Yammini was in both the IJ2 and DBFZ tournies and Harukaze was at the BBCTB one, I actually checked all 3 tournies just to cheer them on (that was the first time I've ever checked a tourney for an ASW game, BTW). It is unfortunate that neither guy made that far, but they still gave it all and as a friend of both of them, I'm proud of them.

Also huge kudos to Yuzu RZA for both winning the MKX tourney for the 2nd year in a row and getting at 4th place for DBFZ, the guy rocked it (no pun intended). Huge kudos to him.

Also kudos to Happy Pow for both his stuff in MKX, IJ2 and DBFZ. I wish he would've use Nimble Reptile though but he still delivered the hype like he always does. His set against Irish Mantis at the IJ2 Top 8 was the best match of the IJ2 tourney hands down, it was such a clutch set.

Also I was very glad to see Noxious Reptile, my main, from Fake Asian, I just wish he switched back to Noxious Reptile from Grandmaster Sub-Zero on the 2nd game, he clearly had the better chance against Foxy with Reptile, but I'm still glad to see him winning matches with him on pools and that it was caught on stream.

And finally, kudos to Biohazard for winning the IJ2 tourney, that guy earned it.

The MKX tourney was of course my favorite to watch, so much hype overall, and the IJ2 tourney was awesome as well.

Once again huge credit to everyone for making such an amazing event, it's so good that the NRS scene have their own focused EU major. Can't wait until next year.