What's new

Viennality 2019 MK11 Stream!

Europe's Premier MK11 Pro Tour event, Viennality is going down this weekend. The stream is live right now, go check out who is gunning for tomorrow's Top 8.

live stream

brackets

First match was Liu Kang vs Shao Khan. Of course Shao Khan get his a*** kicked and switched to Liu Kang and equalize the game.
Liu Kang imba. I expect to see more and more PRO using him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Just to set it straight:
I am not a better player than Shark Teeth, and I also do not struggle against Scorpion I just think his design is ass.

Just to set it straight:
I am not a better player than Shark Teeth, and I also do not struggle against Scorpion I just think his design is ass.
It's all good man. None of us "dont like you" or "don't think you are contributing" to TYM (or at least I don't feel that way). Do I agree with you regarding scorpion's teleport being too good? No. The move is full combo punishable and every character can punish it with a 1 bar combo that leads to way more damage than scorpion gets for hitting you with a raw random amp teleport. Is the reborn teleport cancel good? Yes. Is it too good? No information or high level competative play that I have seen indicates that it is too good as is. Plus that is the ONLY thing you get with reborn. If you nerf the teleport cancel NRS may as well delete that variation alltogether. Does it mess with neutral? Sure, but if you are using it to mess with neutral it is a pretty high risk thing to do. Very few good scorpions are saying "f your neutral... random TP" because they WILL lose if they do. As I mentioned, the risk vs. Reward is not in scorpions favor based on the damage he gets off amp teleport even if he uses both bars with the exception of when he (1 per match) ends in the 212 kb.

It's all good man. None of us "dont like you" or "don't think you are contributing" to TYM (or at least I don't feel that way). Do I agree with you regarding scorpion's teleport being too good? No. The move is full combo punishable and every character can punish it with a 1 bar combo that leads to way more damage than scorpion gets for hitting you with a raw random amp teleport. Is the reborn teleport cancel good? Yes. Is it too good? No information or high level competative play that I have seen indicates that it is too good as is. Plus that is the ONLY thing you get with reborn. If you nerf the teleport cancel NRS may as well delete that variation alltogether. Does it mess with neutral? Sure, but if you are using it to mess with neutral it is a pretty high risk thing to do. Very few good scorpions are saying "f your neutral... random TP" because they WILL lose if they do. As I mentioned, the risk vs. Reward is not in scorpions favor based on the damage he gets off amp teleport even if he uses both bars with the exception of when he (1 per match) ends in the 212 kb.
I don't agree, at all. His teleport is quick and if you guess wrong about the amp then you're vulnerable to a throw or pressure he can combo off of. It's really hard to react to unless you know it's coming and the player is doing it after every backwards jump. Especially if they get the cancel, then the guessing game gets worse.

Remember when people said Scorpion wouldn't be viable without misery blade? Yeah, TP is just too good of a tool and needs to be made for combos only, it shouldn't say FU to footsies and it shouldn't take away the need to open up your opponent the old fashioned way.

Predictability is very important in any game and if the opponent is unpredictable, then no matter how good you think you are, it's going to hit you 9/10.

Go watch the video i give and come back and tell me how OP that teleport is.
The guy litteraly punish every time Scorpion decide to use teleport.

I don't agree, at all. His teleport is quick and if you guess wrong about the amp then you're vulnerable to a throw or pressure he can combo off of. It's really hard to react to unless you know it's coming and the player is doing it after every backwards jump. Especially if they get the cancel, then the guessing game gets worse.

Remember when people said Scorpion wouldn't be viable without misery blade? Yeah, TP is just too good of a tool and needs to be made for combos only, it shouldn't say FU to footsies and it shouldn't take away the need to open up your opponent the old fashioned way.

Predictability is very important in any game and if the opponent is unpredictable, then no matter how good you think you are, it's going to hit you 9/10.
This is simply not true. There is no guess on the Amp teleport despite what TYM posts would have you believe, it is 100% full combo punishable when blocked even the scorpion delays the amp. If you dont block it you get hit for approx 25% for 1 bar. If you block it you hit scorpion for 30+% for 1 bar. The cancel costs a defensive bar so if you read the cancel and catch scorpion in a combo he has no ability to breakaway. Saying a good player will be hit 9 times out of 10 just due to the "unpredictable" nature of the move is laughable. Where are all of the scorpions in major top 8's? What about top 3's? The proof is in the results. Is the move dumb in laggy wifi online? Of course. Can you balance a game to laggy wifi online? Heck no.

The scorpion players coming to hanzos rescue were a lot more cringe in that thread to be fair.
I am a scorpion player and I am the first to say just remove the whole "amp on block" thing and make both regular and amp tp -20 on block. But that change is just so lazy players who refuse to learn how to consistently punish it as-is (which is not hard unless you are playing in an absolute garbage connection online) can stop complaining and making threads on TYM about this move. Scorpion is good but is likely around 7th-8th overall IMO if ranking the current top characters (which REO agrees with btw). He is NOT the character who people should be complaining about this much.

This is simply not true. There is no guess on the Amp teleport despite what TYM posts would have you believe, it is 100% full combo punishable when blocked even the scorpion delays the amp. If you dont block it you get hit for approx 25% for 1 bar. If you block it you hit scorpion for 30+% for 1 bar. The cancel costs a defensive bar so if you read the cancel and catch scorpion in a combo he has no ability to breakaway. Saying a good player will be hit 9 times out of 10 just due to the "unpredictable" nature of the move is laughable. Where are all of the scorpions in major top 8's? What about top 3's? The proof is in the results. Is the move dumb in laggy wifi online? Of course. Can you balance a game to laggy wifi online? Heck no.
If I were to agree with you, let me say this, MOST of the player base plays online, should NRS only consider making changes based on the pros? Pretty sure we're the ones who make them money. So no, they shouldn't balance the game based on offline tourneys, they need to consider everything.

Scorpion players can still not chose to amp even if they have the bar, and if you're blocking longer expecting the amp, then you'll miss the punish window and get grabbed or combo'ed. There is guessing involved, hence with the cancel it's 100x time worse, online and offline. The move needs toning down.

And it's not about labbing, I can punish it with Cassie pretty consistently, I still get hit by the yolo one cause no one can react to it, unless they guess right.

If I were to agree with you, let me say this, MOST of the player base plays online, should NRS only consider making changes based on the pros? Pretty sure we're the ones who make them money. So no, they shouldn't balance the game based on offline tourneys, they need to consider everything.

Scorpion players can still not chose to amp even if they have the bar, and if you're blocking longer expecting the amp, then you'll miss the punish window and get grabbed or combo'ed. There is guessing involved, hence with the cancel it's 100x time worse, online and offline. The move needs toning down.
But V slayer, you can make this argument about any move or mechanic in a bad connection online. Multiple d1's are a viable option in a high ping/wifi lagfest online. You name the punishable move/string, if it is laggy and a horrible connection it becomes hard to punish. You cannot base balance around that environment. In a decent (not even great, just decent) online connection scorpions teleport is 100% punishable online period. I even have played the switch version online in handheld via wifi before and was consistently punishing other scorpions blocked teleport, amp or not. If you base balance changes on bad online connections you will end up with one mess of a game...

But V slayer, you can make this argument about any move or mechanic in a bad connection online. Multiple d1's are a viable option in a high ping/wifi lagfest online. You name the punishable move/string, if it is laggy and a horrible connection it becomes hard to punish. You cannot base balance around that environment. In a decent (not even great, just decent) online connection scorpions teleport is 100% punishable online period. I even have played the switch version online in handheld via wifi before and was consistently punishing other scorpions blocked teleport, amp or not. If you base balance changes on bad online connections you will end up with one mess of a game...
It's not just about bad connections, no one can react to his TP consistently because it's so damn quick and with the added guessing games of the AMP or cancel, even if you lab that all day with every character in the game, it's still going to hit you.

It's the same thing with Cassie's F4, even if I said to people 'block it, block it', that thing is damn quick, has good range and you have to guess if she'll do it or not, especially after a restand, or you'll get grabbed. It's a similar situation, and it's partly why these two characters are top tier.

It's not just about bad connections, no one can react to his TP consistently because it's so damn quick and with the added guessing games of the AMP or cancel, even if you lab that all day with every character in the game, it's still going to hit you.

It's the same thing with Cassie's F4, even if I said to people 'block it, block it', that thing is damn quick, has good range and you have to guess if she'll do it or not, especially after a restand, or you'll get grabbed. It's a similar situation, and it's partly why these two characters are top tier.
Add jacqui's dash punch or sub zeros/EB's slide to that list too. There are many moves that cant be reacted to (especially online) but that is why they are usually unsafe (block scorpions tp or subs/EB slide > full combo, neutral duck jacqui's dp > full combo). Not every move should be reactable, reads are a major part of fighting games. But unreactable moves are balanced by being risky and requiring a read by both the attacker and defender.

Add jacqui's dash punch or sub zeros/EB's slide to that list too. There are many moves that cant be reacted to (especially online) but that is why they are usually unsafe (block scorpions tp or subs/EB slide > full combo, neutral duck jacqui's dp > full combo). Not every move should be reactable, reads are a major part of fighting games. But unreactable moves are balanced by being risky and requiring a read by both the attacker and defender.
Yeah, I agree with that, only time will tell and the game's been out for close to 3months which is nothing. I'm sure there's stuff we're missing, but at the same time if we want a balanced game some stuff needs to be adjusted, not too much, just a little.

But to not derail this thread further, that GF mirror match was literal cancer, I'm starting to think that @STB Sgt Reed is right about hating mirrors matches.

Yeah, I agree with that, only time will tell and the game's been out for close to 3months which is nothing. I'm sure there's stuff we're missing, but at the same time if we want a balanced game some stuff needs to be adjusted, not too much, just a little.

But to not derail this thread further, that GF mirror match was literal cancer, I'm starting to think that @STB Sgt Reed is right about hating mirrors matches.
Back on topic, yeah... the EB mirror is not what I hope to see in a grand finals lol

So scorpion is both "broken" but also "sucks" and "is bad"? Dude your anti scorpion teleport thread was already full of cringe wothy posts but this one has to take the cake...
Another mis conception; I am not responsible for a lot of that thread. That thread was moved and merged with a bunch of others including the addition of the poll, which I think is real stupid, and I don't really like that my name is on it.

Pls dont use word like "no one can react" simply because you cant react to it.
Once again check this video:
Asodimazze reacting to every Scorpion teleport and it punish him like 90% of the time.
And Asodimazze is not some duper ultra PRO with crazy reaction, to be fair he comes out of nowhere.

And whether you or anyone like it or not, such games with competitive stage its balanced arround top-pro players, always been and always will be and this is for good.
Otherwise the game will be totally unbalanced and High, Top, Pro players will have huge problem.

I`m also far from from that level, probably low-mid tier player, but i totally understand why they do this in every game.

Who cares about that Ninja, the final was pure ecstasy (of gold) lol! The meta is there until Shang drops at EVO and i don't think that some last minute tech will change it. The fun to me was in the reads and how players wanted to be in each other minds so badly. I even enjoyed the wake up fbs that happened constantly!!! JUST DO IT!!!

Asodimazze reacting to every Scorpion teleport and it punish him like 90% of the time.
And Asodimazze is not some duper ultra PRO with crazy reaction, to be fair he comes out of nowhere.

And whether you or anyone like it or not, such games with competitive stage its balanced arround top-pro players, always been and always will be and this is for good.
Otherwise the game will be totally unbalanced and High, Top, Pro players will have huge problem.

I`m also far from from that level, probably low-mid tier player, but i totally understand why they do this in every game.
He read the cancels, not reacted to them. You could see that at some point he even got hit out of nowhere because he thought Shark would cancel it. Cut your downplaying fool.

There was plenty of time he didn`t read anything, Scorpion just teleport, he blocked and punish. I documented every teleport moment where he eat it in the other thread.
This Scorpion move is pretty okay. Nothing imba about it.

Asodimazze doesn't come out of nowhere. He's one of the best Italian/European players and everybody in Europe knows him tbh.

There was plenty of time he didn`t read anything, Scorpion just teleport, he blocked and punish. I documented every teleport moment where he eat it in the other thread.
This Scorpion move is pretty okay. Nothing imba about it.
No, just no.

He read it. it's a guessing game with Scorpion 99% of the time. His teleport is not just okay, it's by far the best move in the game and he has so many tools to go along with it, it's pretty incredible.

I figured I'd chime in here. You can ask anyone here Ive never been on the Nerd Scorpion to oblivion fan club.
That teleport isn't always reactable. Maybe if you are holding block waiting for it but if I'm not mistaken there is a 3f window topunish both. Its when you throw in 5 other moves that require different responses that you have a hard time punishing 23f TP. He has HPC into throw, normal, stagger or HPC full screen on top of both TPs.

Can a good player fail to punish TP absolutely because for the most part its a guess not guaranteed punish like you are making it sound. The video above is not the best example. Shark Teeth and maze Are good players no doubt but the scorpion was telegraphing it quite a bit and was developing a pattern.

It is very possible to punish both but its also possible for high level players to not punish TP and we seen that in Combo Breaker and CEO.

Whoever suggested Removing Amp on block and making both TPs -20 has it right but I'd like to add another:
Make Reborn's HPC cost two bars or have longer regen. As it is now he has offense bars to blow at all times because he can use defense bars like offensive bars. Other than that I think he is honest