What's new

Video Documentary of MLG Dallas

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hey Everyone!

From what it looks like, MLG Dallas is shaping up to be a truly epic event, with representation from all over, and a good percentage of community talent gathering together all in one place. So I'm thinking:

Maybe we should document it somehow. Not cell-phone style, but with a decent (video?) camera. If there's someone that lives in range of Dallas or is travelling there, who is willing to bring a camera, they could get comments and quotes from all kinds of people, film the hype/action as well as some of the hotel fun, and just collect as much as they could. And then we could make a kind of mini-documentary to immortalize this one-of-a-kind event.

I can't be there to film, as I'll be out of the country. But if someone was willing to do it, I'd be down to edit (or help edit) all the footage into a supercool video production.

Anyway, I feel like something rare is about to go down, and I'd be nice if we had something awesome to remember it by. What do you guys think?

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I don't know how much of a documentary it will be, but I'm bringing my hd cam and am gonna try to get a bunch of footage like I did with Final Round. Its awkward to ask people to do interviews and stuff, so I'll probably just film what happens naturally and as many off stream matches as I can.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Hey Everyone!

From what it looks like, MLG Dallas is shaping up to be a truly epic event, with representation from all over, and a good percentage of community talent gathering together all in one place. So I'm thinking:

Maybe we should document it somehow. Not cell-phone style, but with a decent (video?) camera. If there's someone that lives in range of Dallas or is travelling there, who is willing to bring a camera, they could get comments and quotes from all kinds of people, film the hype/action as well as some of the hotel fun, and just collect as much as they could. And then we could make a kind of mini-documentary to immortalize this one-of-a-kind event.

I can't be there to film, as I'll be out of the country. But if someone was willing to do it, I'd be down to edit (or help edit) all the footage into a supercool video production.

Anyway, I feel like something rare is about to go down, and I'd be nice if we had something awesome to remember it by. What do you guys think?
I've always tried to do this as much as possible at every event I've gone to... it can be oberwhelming... especially at events like EVO.

Regardless, if this doesn't happen for MLG Dallas... I plan to be attending NECXIII... fully-loaded. Shock doesn't refer to me as the media guy for nothing.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I don't know how much of a documentary it will be, but I'm bringing my hd cam and am gonna try to get a bunch of footage like I did with Final Round. Its awkward to ask people to do interviews and stuff, so I'll probably just film what happens naturally and as many off stream matches as I can.

Hey K7, that's awesome. If it ends up that a few people bring cameras, we could edit the footage from everyone together. I'm thinking something really complete would have:

• General stuff.. Footage of the venue, surroundings, people showing up for the first time, etc.
  • Match footage from the audience persepctive
  • Footage from hotel room casuals, arguments, Whataburger, etc.. (This is key because it seems like some of the most memorable moments always happen at some of the most laid back/random times)
  • Player comments.. Maybe not official interviews, but docu. 'talk to the camera' style. This can be as simple as asking "Anything you'd like to say to the community/TYM" or asking people how they feel/felt about matches, the tournament, etc..
If we could get parts of this from diff. people, then I'd still be possible without 1 person having to do it all. Unless someone is feeling really ambitious :)

Also if anyone from EGP wants to take a camera in the van.. I'm betting there will be a whole host of laughable moments just between Cali and Dallas.. haha

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've been talking with the RBR guys lately and we've really come to the conclusion that in order to make the FGC bigger, it has to at least appear bigger to people. Things like interviews between matches during button checks on the streams even with like a green screen and animated backgrounds if we have to. Obviously lighting is harder, but video footage of players, tournament atmosphere, pics, coverage, everything that can be put into a product needs to be done, and this has to be done by establishing media groups within the scene that directly work with TOs. We're doing this now with RBR even though our turnouts aren't that good. We have art, video, commentary, stream, and content so look for something to develop in the future. That reminds me, gotta post about the next RBR!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I'm just reviving this now that Dallas is getting closer -- it'd be great to get a head count of people with decent cameras, and organize a way to collect the footage all in one place.

GhosT

Noob
Im working on getting my cousin to run up there with me. He doesnt play MK but he can drink a beer really fast. Pig Of The Hut Care to challenge? lol

Ill bring my Camera with me, but i agree with k7 its kind of wierd to ask your peers for interviews. Ill do my best though.

You may want to talk to the MLG guys about bringing cameras into the venue like that. At Columbus, I remember some MLG employees giving some people a hard time if they had cameras and weren't part of the "media team" or weren't "Pre-approved", or whatever.

MLG Deimos think you can confirm? Just trying to play it safe

rawool

Noob
I'm just reviving this now that Dallas is getting closer -- it'd be great to get a head count of people with decent cameras, and organize a way to collect the footage all in one place.
You may want to talk to the MLG guys about bringing cameras into the venue like that. At Columbus, I remember some MLG employees giving some people a hard time if they had cameras and weren't part of the "media team" or weren't "Pre-approved", or whatever.

MLG Deimos think you can confirm? Just trying to play it safe
I want to know the answer to this as well. I'm assuming they gave a hard time to people with professional equipment. I was planning on bringing my HD camera (JVC GY-HM100U). I had planned on just following the KH crew.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Im working on getting my cousin to run up there with me. He doesnt play MK but he can drink a beer really fast. Pig Of The Hut Care to challenge? lol

Ill bring my Camera with me, but i agree with k7 its kind of wierd to ask your peers for interviews. Ill do my best though.
challenge accepted

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Hmmm. Maybe @kh seraph can record some footage around the event. Many matches will be streamed on Kombathouston twitch page

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Alright everyone, just checking back in now that the tourney has passed, to see who has video that they'd be willing to share.

If anyone has decent camera footage, either post here and let me know, or send me a message so we can work on collecting it all.

Thanks guys :)