What's new

Question viability of low into high block cancelling on 50/50?

I don't know if this has already been discussed or if cancelling is the correct term, but I noticed you seem to be able to recover faster from blocking low into high (and maybe vice versa), if you let go of the down and block buttons and immediately go back into blocking high. It's done in a fluid motion.

Could you guys help me test this since I don't really have a way to. Maybe with something like Scorpions vortex setups or from other fast startup 50/50 moves?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Someone from Yomi already said this was truth.

You recover more quickly from a high block than from a low block.

GAV

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you are talking about a difference in recovery frames from blocking an attack high/low in MKX and/or MK9?
Just in MKX.

I can't find the vid, but blocking high recovers 2 frames faster than blocking low.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I was actually referring to something different in my OP though. What I was talking about is not dependent on any move hitting you. Think of it like this, instead of going from blocking low to high while holding block the whole time, you release block and down simultaneously then immediately hold block. This seems to go into a faster standing block animation.

It's kind of an awkward input, but I'm just wondering if it would be viable against vortex setups or at least gives a better chance of possibly nullifying a 50/50; in essence blocking both low and overhead attacks at once. I guess you might be able to more so tap the inputs too.

@GAV Is there any way you could test this for me in either game?

Last edited:
Reactions: GAV

GAV

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I was actually referring to something different in my OP though. What I was talking about is not dependent on any move hitting you. Think of it like this, instead of going from blocking low to high while holding block the whole time, you release block and down simultaneously then immediately hold block. This seems to go into a faster standing block animation.

It's kind of an awkward input, but I'm just wondering if it would be viable against vortex setups or at least gives a better chance of possibly nullifying a 50/50; in essence blocking both low and overhead attacks at once. I guess you might be able to more so tap the inputs too.

@GAV Is there any way you could test this for me in either game?
I'm pretty good at blocking, but I've never tried releasing the block button to go from a low to a high block. I just simply allow the pad to go neutral and stay on the block button.

The way I does it does nullify 50-50's as long as I'm not wrong. I've learned to bait and switch and know the frame data, so I don't slip up much anymore.

I will definitely try it, but I don't see how it could block both lows and overheads at the same time.