What's new

Guide - Tarkatan Vertical, Not Horizontal: The Complete Guide to Slicing & Dicing with The New Tarkatan

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
yeah thinking about it more deeply, there's no reason to use the rekkas on block outside of the mix up and they both do nothing anyway lol. rip csz tho smfh
the mix-up is completely reactable so if your opponent is bad enough to be getting caught by that he is an easy win anyway and most definitely hasnt labbed how to deal with Rekkas. So yeah against a good opponent, Rekka on block is pointless.

So acidic is the preferred variation now?
I'd say so, but we'll see what Konjurer players can come up with in the future

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Rekkas on block are still very good vs characters with bad/mediocre armor such as:

Triborg
Sonya
Bo Rai Cho
Scorpion
Ermac
Quan Chi
D'Vorah

Then there's the fact that while armor OS should punish any gaps in the rekkas, we are humans and we make mistakes. On top of that, someone who is so focused on doing the OS will likely miss the opportunity to full punish a gapless rekka string, which is somewhere around -12 (?). Still need to test to see what the change in recovery are.

I GOT HANDS

Rekkas on block are still very good vs characters with bad/mediocre armor such as:

Triborg
Sonya
Bo Rai Cho
Scorpion
Ermac
Quan Chi
D'Vorah
Why? It's not like you can break the armor....

Then there's the fact that while armor OS should punish any gaps in the rekkas, we are humans and we make mistakes. On top of that, someone who is so focused on doing the OS will likely miss the opportunity to full punish a gapless rekka string, which is somewhere around -12 (?). Still need to test to see what the change in recovery are.
Sure but the same could be said for anything punishable, nobody has 100% punish accuracy. If you have to rely on your opponent missing the punish or messing up, then it's still a bad move at the highest level. And if you are OS'ing and it doesn't go off, you just hand punish the last hit right

Tak

Triborg
Sonya
Bo Rai Cho
Scorpion
Ermac
Quan Chi
D'Vorah

takeda also

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
IMO if they were gonna kill the rekkas like this they should have made the grab ender -7 , the OH 17 frames and the low 13 frames. Theres no reason to armor thr rekkas wen u can full combo punish each ender free meterles

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I'm not saying you can break the armor of any of those characters. I'm just saying that if your opponent chooses to armor out, you only eat something around 10%. They use a bar just to escape, and now have weaker options in the neutral. It's a trade off that is worth it in many cases.

Also, while Takeda's armor is pretty meh because it can be broken pretty easily, that doesn't really matter in this situation. If Takeda chooses to EX windmill punch, it will armor through any gap and launch for a full combo.

I GOT HANDS

I'm not saying you can break the armor of any of those characters. I'm just saying that if your opponent chooses to armor out, you only eat something around 10%. They use a bar just to escape, and now have weaker options in the neutral. It's a trade off that is worth it in many cases.
I'm sorry but that is absolutely terrible logic. 10% for 1 bar is great returns for starters, secondly most the armors you listed do around 12-5%, thirdly even damage aside that is not beneficial at all, they don't have weaker options in the neutral because it doesn't go to the neutral it goes to their advantage... the risk of getting knocked down and eating like 15% damage and having to deal with their oki is not worth the potential trade off of the chip and meter you build doing it... there is no reason not to armor everytime its a great use of bar, lets not try and flip it like it isnt

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
10% for 1 bar is not a great return. Characters like Kotal, Tremor, Predator, Mileena, Jax, Lao, Alien, Leatherface, Johnny, Kitana, Reptile, Raiden, Kano, Goro and Kenshi all have armored launchers that lead into 30% minimum midscreen and can end in hard knockdowns or restands.

On top of that, from the characters I listed, their armor reversal either leads into a bad/mediocre knockdown (Sonya, Ermac, D' Vorah) or the characters themselves aren't known for their amazing setplay/pressure (Scorpion, Bo Rai Cho).

portent

Noob
Honestly, I'm not so sure why everone is freaking out about Tarkatan. Acidic was already better, but those of us who went with Tarkatan would be fools to think that the rekkas would stay the way they were especially after Tanya's rekka nerf. First of all, if you were expecting them to stay as they were, you were being naive. If you played it smart and realized that the rekkas weren't gonna stay, then you were never using them as your primary block string ender anyway, and instead used your -7 tail flip for a relatively safe ender.

Think like you're playing street fighter. Any Ken or Ryu player can do their target combo into either fireball or dragon punch. This is a hit confirmable option select. On hit, you go for the bigger damage with dp. On block, you go for the block string into fireball for safe pushback.

Alien's 214 is the same thing. It is a hit confirmable option select into either rekka, tail flip, or krawl. On hit, use the rekka into grab ender. On block, use the tail flip for a safe ener.

Alien still has good 50/50's. Once you condition someone to respect the overhead tail flip, you can start playing 50/50 games. At this point your opponent, knowing you won't be doing rekkas on block, will block low, which gives you an opportunity for F4 into rekkas. If you see them block high, b3 into rekkas.

Every successful knockdown should result either a meaty setup or a bait. The meaty setup of F13 can be option selected into either rekkas on hit or tail flip on block. If you're not going for the meaty, you should be going for a bait. If you bait the move you want, punish accordingly. If they simply block, you have your 50/50 f4 or b3 on reaction.

Risky, yeah, but rewarding to play. Acidic is still better, but tarkatan is just more fun.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Honestly, I'm not so sure why everone is freaking out about Tarkatan. Acidic was already better, but those of us who went with Tarkatan would be fools to think that the rekkas would stay the way they were especially after Tanya's rekka nerf. First of all, if you were expecting them to stay as they were, you were being naive. If you played it smart and realized that the rekkas weren't gonna stay, then you were never using them as your primary block string ender anyway, and instead used your -7 tail flip for a relatively safe ender.

Think like you're playing street fighter. Any Ken or Ryu player can do their target combo into either fireball or dragon punch. This is a hit confirmable option select. On hit, you go for the bigger damage with dp. On block, you go for the block string into fireball for safe pushback.

Alien's 214 is the same thing. It is a hit confirmable option select into either rekka, tail flip, or krawl. On hit, use the rekka into grab ender. On block, use the tail flip for a safe ener.

Alien still has good 50/50's. Once you condition someone to respect the overhead tail flip, you can start playing 50/50 games. At this point your opponent, knowing you won't be doing rekkas on block, will block low, which gives you an opportunity for F4 into rekkas. If you see them block high, b3 into rekkas.

Every successful knockdown should result either a meaty setup or a bait. The meaty setup of F13 can be option selected into either rekkas on hit or tail flip on block. If you're not going for the meaty, you should be going for a bait. If you bait the move you want, punish accordingly. If they simply block, you have your 50/50 f4 or b3 on reaction.

Risky, yeah, but rewarding to play. Acidic is still better, but tarkatan is just more fun.
I think konjurer is the most fun but good points

I GOT HANDS

10% for 1 bar is not a great return. Characters like Kotal, Tremor, Predator, Mileena, Jax, Lao, Alien, Leatherface, Johnny, Kitana, Reptile, Raiden, Kano, Goro and Kenshi all have armored launchers that lead into 30% minimum midscreen and can end in hard knockdowns or restands.

On top of that, from the characters I listed, their armor reversal either leads into a bad/mediocre knockdown (Sonya, Ermac, D' Vorah) or the characters themselves aren't known for their amazing setplay/pressure (Scorpion, Bo Rai Cho).
That's great what other characters can do, however it's not what those characters can do and they are balanced around it. 10-15% for a bar is the best returns for a bar that most the characters without armored launchers can plausibly expect to see ever, and it IS good returns. Regardless, its more than
than 10% anyway, I couldn't find a single one of the characters you listed that did 10% or less, Quan / Ermac / Scorp etc all do 15% but even so, having a Rekka that opened yourself up to even 10% everytime and a knockdown/advantage everytime your opponent WANTS to is really bad. And no it's in no way beneficial to eat 10% of your life and give your opponent full advantage when you can end a string safely, you are losing more than the health from the armor no matter what as well, AND any control you had is gone. Acting like you are just soaking up their meter and wasting it to give yourself the advantage is ridiculous, this is just fighting game fundamentals here and you are so far off the mark with how far you are reaching to justify rekkas lol. If I had 3 bars and I KNEW I armor a gap 3 times with it, thats exactly what I'd do as its simply one of the best uses for meter in the game, even if you don't get full combo off it

P.S. Scorp isn't known for his pressure? What is wrong with Sonya's knockdown, it travels you to the corner from halfscreen and still guarantees one of the best 50/50's in the game? Dvorahs armor is like +43 and often her preferred combo ender? I feel like you are talking out of your ass about everything here

Nobody is "freaking out", it's just calling it like it is, the fact is he is kind of a pointless variation now, I couldn't care less I had already dropped the character anyway but we don't have to PRETEND something is good when it isn't otherwise we are just "freaking out" lol no, and I don't understand what your point is, the other two variations can confirm into a launcher as well or Tail Flip on block and the other two variations have the exact same 50/50, and the the other two variations have F13. All you listed is the reasons why you don't need to play Tarkatan lol

ErmacMKX

Noob
This game is frustrating, the past changes in the last month makes it hard to support this game. Tremor, Alien and CSZ all god destroyed and all I'm left with is Ermac. What's the point of spending so much time learning a character when they go a not nerf but butcher the person. Wouldn't be surprised if we all jumped to Acidic and that got nerfed to hell the next patch, no one is safe (besides Kung Lao).

I GOT HANDS

This game is frustrating, the past changes in the last month makes it hard to support this game. Tremor, Alien and CSZ all god destroyed and all I'm left with is Ermac. What's the point of spending so much time learning a character when they go a not nerf but butcher the person. Wouldn't be surprised if we all jumped to Acidic and that got nerfed to hell the next patch, no one is safe (besides Kung Lao).
Tarkatan* destroyed, Alien is still good yo

portent

Noob
That's great what other characters can do, however it's not what those characters can do and they are balanced around it. 10-15% for a bar is the best returns for a bar that most the characters without armored launchers can plausibly expect to see ever, and it IS good returns. Regardless, its more than
than 10% anyway, I couldn't find a single one of the characters you listed that did 10% or less, Quan / Ermac / Scorp etc all do 15% but even so, having a Rekka that opened yourself up to even 10% everytime and a knockdown/advantage everytime your opponent WANTS to is really bad. And no it's in no way beneficial to eat 10% of your life and give your opponent full advantage when you can end a string safely, you are losing more than the health from the armor no matter what as well, AND any control you had is gone. Acting like you are just soaking up their meter and wasting it to give yourself the advantage is ridiculous, this is just fighting game fundamentals here and you are so far off the mark with how far you are reaching to justify rekkas lol. If I had 3 bars and I KNEW I armor a gap 3 times with it, thats exactly what I'd do as its simply one of the best uses for meter in the game, even if you don't get full combo off it

P.S. Scorp isn't known for his pressure? What is wrong with Sonya's knockdown, it travels you to the corner from halfscreen and still guarantees one of the best 50/50's in the game? Dvorahs armor is like +43 and often her preferred combo ender? I feel like you are talking out of your ass about everything here

Nobody is "freaking out", it's just calling it like it is, the fact is he is kind of a pointless variation now, I couldn't care less I had already dropped the character anyway but we don't have to PRETEND something is good when it isn't otherwise we are just "freaking out" lol no, and I don't understand what your point is, the other two variations can confirm into a launcher as well or Tail Flip on block and the other two variations have the exact same 50/50, and the the other two variations have F13. All you listed is the reasons why you don't need to play Tarkatan lol

My point was simply that anyone who thinks tarkatan is "ruined" or "destroyed" as you put it, doesn't need to think that way. Yes, the other variations are better, but tarkatan is still a serviceable variation that is still viable. It's not like Scorpion's inferno variation that isn't even serviceable. Tarkatan is still a viable option if someone just prefers the variation and playstyle.

I GOT HANDS

My point was simply that anyone who thinks tarkatan is "ruined" or "destroyed" as you put it, doesn't need to think that way. Yes, the other variations are better, but tarkatan is still a serviceable variation that is still viable. It's not like Scorpion's inferno variation that isn't even serviceable. Tarkatan is still a viable option if someone just prefers the variation and playstyle.
I mean, Alien even variationless is still stronger than some characters best variations... but as a variation he is absolutely destroyed now lol there is absolutely no point to pick him over other variations

portent

Noob
I mean, Alien even variationless is still stronger than some characters best variations... but as a variation he is absolutely destroyed now lol there is absolutely no point to pick him over other variations
The variation isn't his best variation, but the nature of this game makes so many characters and variations viable because it's so 50/50 and guesswork based. You said it yourself, even variationless, the character is better than some characters! I'm not saying acidic isn't his best variation because it is, but I'm also saying that tarkatan, IF you don't mind grinding the harder matchups and learning to outplay peope instead of relying on his old braindead ways, is still viable if you just prefer the variation to acidic.

I GOT HANDS

The variation isn't his best variation, but the nature of this game makes so many characters and variations viable because it's so 50/50 and guesswork based. You said it yourself, even variationless, the character is better than some characters! I'm not saying acidic isn't his best variation because it is, but I'm also saying that tarkatan, IF you don't mind grinding the harder matchups and learning to outplay peope instead of relying on his old braindead ways, is still viable if you just prefer the variation to acidic.
ok well you can say that as much as you want, but all he really gets from this variation is an unsafe reversal that can be stuff with a poke, and a blockstring that will get punished on block every single time vs a good player. so what exactly makes this variation viable over not just acidic, but even conjurer for gods sake? absolutely nothing. in terms of unique tools added by this variation he is like Inferno tier, sure you COULD use it, but what the hell would be the point?

lets stop pretending this is something it isn't lol and people not deeply familiar with the character should stop giving their surface level assumptions, this variation is done and there is absolutely no reason to take Tarkatan over either of his other two variations other than for factor of coolness

portent

Noob
ok well you can say that as much as you want, but all he really gets from this variation is an unsafe reversal that can be stuff with a poke, and a blockstring that will get punished on block every single time vs a good player. so what exactly makes this variation viable over not just acidic, but even conjurer for gods sake? absolutely nothing. in terms of unique tools added by this variation he is like Inferno tier, sure you COULD use it, but what the hell would be the point?

lets stop pretending this is something it isn't lol and people not deeply familiar with the character should stop giving their surface level assumptions, this variation is done and there is absolutely no reason to take Tarkatan over either of his other two variations other than for factor of coolness
Wow, I had no idea that you were so well versed in what I do and do not know! I am SO SORRY for that!

Lets review, shall we? I already said that Acidic is his best variation, for reasons that we all know, so why bother repeat them? I already said that Konjurer is better than tarkatan. Your surface level assumptions about my knowledge are beyond idiotic, at least quadruple as idiotic as you thought my "assumptions" were. I KNOW TARKATAN IS HIS WORST VARIATION. All I said was that it isn't as bad as other characters even where the Tarkatan variation is now, and that because of it, ITS STILL OK TO PLAY!

Congratulations for essentially calling EVERYONE who wanted to play tarkatan, FOR WHATEVER REASON, a bunch of idiots. You're a real standup guy. I only hope that someone treats you the same way, or that they nerf every character you love so that you hate this game. That would be a fitting end for you.

I GOT HANDS

Wow, I had no idea that you were so well versed in what I do and do not know! I am SO SORRY for that!

Lets review, shall we? I already said that Acidic is his best variation, for reasons that we all know, so why bother repeat them? I already said that Konjurer is better than tarkatan. Your surface level assumptions about my knowledge are beyond idiotic, at least quadruple as idiotic as you thought my "assumptions" were. I KNOW TARKATAN IS HIS WORST VARIATION. All I said was that it isn't as bad as other characters even where the Tarkatan variation is now, and that because of it, ITS STILL OK TO PLAY!

Congratulations for essentially calling EVERYONE who wanted to play tarkatan, FOR WHATEVER REASON, a bunch of idiots. You're a real standup guy. I only hope that someone treats you the same way, or that they nerf every character you love so that you hate this game. That would be a fitting end for you.
when did I call anyone idiots for playing this character? you need to stop, that is just putting words in my mouth and using that to fuel your attack on me lol, all I said was that the variation is competitively unviable. In fact, this is what YOU said word for word in a previous post

"those of us who went with Tarkatan would be fools to think that the rekkas would stay the way they were especially after Tanya's rekka nerf. First of all, if you were expecting them to stay as they were, you were being naive."

take your hypocrisy elsewhere please, thanks <3

the variation might be fine for fun games but on a competitive level there is no reason to take him and Tarkatan is the OPPOSITE of what viable is. It's like taking Brood Mother DVorah, sure shes got DVorahs amazing buttons and will still be able to perform... but why would you do it to yourslf?

Last edited:

portent

Noob
when did I call anyone idiots for playing this character? you need to stop, that is just putting words in my mouth and using that to fuel your attack on me lol, all I said was that the variation is competitively unviable. In fact, this is what YOU said word for word in a previous post

"those of us who went with Tarkatan would be fools to think that the rekkas would stay the way they were especially after Tanya's rekka nerf. First of all, if you were expecting them to stay as they were, you were being naive."

take your hypocrisy elsewhere please, thanks <3

the variation might be fine for fun games but on a competitive level there is no reason to take him and Tarkatan is the OPPOSITE of what viable is. It's like taking Brood Mother DVorah, sure shes got DVorahs amazing buttons and will still be able to perform... but why would you do it to yourslf?

Definitely not being hypocritical. Naive and idiot are completely different words and meanings.

However, I do believe we've come to an agreement. Yes, Tarkatan can be played and enjoyed, even compete to a degree. Acidic and Konjurer, however, are his superior variations and if you're planning on playing in tournaments or competitively, then they should be chosen over tarkatan.

I GOT HANDS

Definitely not being hypocritical. Naive and idiot are completely different words and meanings.

However, I do believe we've come to an agreement. Yes, Tarkatan can be played and enjoyed, even compete to a degree. Acidic and Konjurer, however, are his superior variations and if you're planning on playing in tournaments or competitively, then they should be chosen over tarkatan.
yep, which is how we rank variations when it comes to competitive discussion

this variation is dead competitively and thats kind of hard to debate. is he the worst character in the game? no

portent

Noob
yep, which is how we rank variations when it comes to competitive discussion

this variation is dead competitively and thats kind of hard to debate. is he the worst character in the game? no
To be honest, I hope they fix him competitively, though I doubt we'll see it. If they gave him the ability to mb the final hit of his rekkas, then that would pretty much make them useful again. Granted, they'd prob have to allow the 2nd hit to gain meter again because big damage combos off of rekkas would require 2 bars to mb the final hit and ex the throw.

I GOT HANDS

To be honest, I hope they fix him competitively, though I doubt we'll see it. If they gave him the ability to mb the final hit of his rekkas, then that would pretty much make them useful again. Granted, they'd prob have to allow the 2nd hit to gain meter again because big damage combos off of rekkas would require 2 bars to mb the final hit and ex the throw.
as you said i could see this state of uselessness coming for Tarkatan from a mile away, because the issue is how exactly do they fix rekkas? safe they are going to be very strong and unsafe they are obviously going to be trash due to the way the option selects work. I would like to see this variation playable because he is our only Baraka variation, but theres a reason i didnt dedicate time to perfecting the safe rekka, i knew it wasnt going to last

Alien and Triborg might have a useable variation each but it really sucks more than other characters because we just lost a whole pool of unique guys out of the competitive scene because so many characters were just 1 variation, we won't see any more Baraka, Cyber Sub or Cyrax ever competitively again, maybe this variation will see some play for a few weeks until people learn the MU but thats it really

Indignant as you may have been, there's no need for such condescension and ill-wishes towards him. Please don't go that far when replying.
I'm happy to see that you and Hands are not engaging in a pointless forum war, though! Thanks for not letting it escalate.
---
Baraka can't catch a break, even in death. At least the Xenomorph's other variants are doing well. @I GOT HANDS, what are your plans for this guide?

I GOT HANDS

Baraka can't catch a break, even in death. At least the Xenomorph's other variants are doing well. @I GOT HANDS, what are your plans for this guide?
I'm not going to update for a while just yet because I can see more big backflips coming soon after the backlash from this recent patch, maybe it will happen maybe it wont but it would suck to write this guide, just to have to rewrite it today just to have to rewrite it again in a week or two. That being said I guess its kinda self explanatory what doesn't apply from in here as it stands. Hopefully something does get changed because I can't justify picking this variation anymore, and aesthetically its just so awesome