What's new

Valve Announces Steam Deck (Handheld Gaming Computer)

Immortal

Blind justice....
As it stands for now, the most obvious problem with GPD Win 3 is the price and the price to performance ratio which is way lower than with Steam Deck.

Steam Deck is more powerful overal, i did test it and depending on a game it's 30-80% faster which isn't suprising considering Intel Xe GPU especially the LP variant isn't exactly a fast GPU. W3 has some advantages over Deck, like way bigger, fast storage, Thunderbolt 4 (which allow you to plug in external graphics card althou i never seen this as practical solution for a mobile device but it is there and it works), the integrated keyboard can be an advantage for some and it's very easy to replace the nvme ssd in it with a bigger one. Battery life and charging speed in pretty much the same.

Steam Deck is much faster, has a bigger, imo better quality screen but the most important thing is price - it alone makes GPD W3 kinda dead now. Since i got my Deck i barely use W3, not at all outside performance tests now that i think about it.

OutWorldAleMerchant

Hotaru's Number One Fan
If it can play Inj1, 2 and MK its an auto buy for me. I am away from home for long periods if time and dislike bringing my PC with me. Id almost buy it for a portable Darkest Dungeon.

If I can connect my VR to it with a usb and use it to run SteamVR stuff even better but thats optimistic.

Immortal

Blind justice....
You can play Injustice I, II and MK X + 11 on it easily, already tested that. All of them work just fine.

You can connect VR with a usb and run SteamVR stuff, however it's not optimized for that - it will work, however on performance front your mileage may vary.

You can play Injustice I, II and MK X + 11 on it easily, already tested that. All of them work just fine.

You can connect VR with a usb and run SteamVR stuff, however it's not optimized for that - it will work, however on performance front your mileage may vary.
For Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate, generally speaking, what settings were you able to play them at? Medium? High?

Immortal

Blind justice....
For MK XL you can max everything and you can do almost the same thing with MK 11 (visual glitch, performance was fine thou).

Steam Deck roughly has PS4 performance (thou its two different generation of AMD APU so its not really a good comparison) but runs at lower resolution most of the time for obvious reasons, this means you can expect usually the same or better results in games.

Last edited:
Reading through this thread and considering my first impression about it i would dare to bet money on Valve hitting quite the handheld market jackpot Imho! And you could've guessed my reason for interest by looking at the demographic it seems to target most predominantly. Being ppl that love gaming still just as much as they did in their youth but not finding as much time or recourses to play as much as they'd like to. It's also possible that i'm typing OTT philosophical nonsense and i've convinced myself part of a demographic but in reality i'm not and created this fantasy to make me feel better. :DOGE JK tho, i'm fine :joker:

Reading through this thread and considering my first impression about it i would dare to bet money on Valve hitting quite the handheld market jackpot Imho! And you could've guessed my reason for interest by looking at the demographic it seems to target most predominantly. Being ppl that love gaming still just as much as they did in their youth but not finding as much time or recourses to play as much as they'd like to. It's also possible that i'm typing OTT philosophical nonsense and i've convinced myself part of a demographic but in reality i'm not and created this fantasy to make me feel better. :DOGE JK tho, i'm fine :joker:
In terms of target demographic, most of the people I personally know interested in this are middle aged guys with commutes who enjoy gaming but don't have they time they used to for it (like me). So from my perspective at least, I think your demographic comment is more or less on the money.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I've been wondering how future-proof this thing is. Can you upgrade like a PC?
No, like most handheld consoles (Switch included), size and weight is everything, so APU and RAM is soldered to the motherboard. Even laptop PC for the most part are build that way for quite some time now (with very few exceptions), only desktop PC (broad term) can be upgraded per (all) component(s).

Immortal

Blind justice....
It's fine, not amazing but fine. It will get warm after a longer gaming session but nothing really to worry about. You can hear the fan spinning, especialy if you're hammering the device with constant near 90-100% load (APU) but unless you're in a library it won't be a problem. It's not dead silent but it is reasonable even on hot days like 30+ degree which we had a lot here this year. (EU). After all it's only a 15W peak power for that APU so its not that hard to keep it cool most of the time and warm at the very worst.

Last edited:

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
This handheld is reallllly appealing to my sensibilities. There's an audience out there that's going to eat this up, hence why all the pre-orders got gobbled up like a scene from Kirby's Dreamland.

I'm not looking for top specs, just decent enough. The fact that I can dock this bad boy, hook it up to my setup with an existing ps4 pad/monitor and play shit like KOTOR makes it a no brainer. I have no desire for a PC for general PC usage, nor room for a proper fancy schmancy setup. So this is damn well perfect for me. Now just need to scrape up a dozen games that I want to play to justify dropping 5 dinards on this shiet.

:eek:

This handheld is reallllly appealing to my sensibilities. There's an audience out there that's going to eat this up, hence why all the pre-orders got gobbled up like a scene from Kirby's Dreamland.

I'm not looking for top specs, just decent enough. The fact that I can dock this bad boy, hook it up to my setup with an existing ps4 pad/monitor and play shit like KOTOR makes it a no brainer. I have no desire for a PC for general PC usage, nor room for a proper fancy schmancy setup. So this is damn well perfect for me. Now just need to scrape up a dozen games that I want to play to justify dropping 5 dinards on this shiet.

:eek:
Finding five games on Steam will not be a major issue.

Digital Foundry has released their review, and the product is very impressive. Basically they're saying it's a portal PlayStation 4 with a vastly larger library.

Cons are battery life and the screen.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm pretty interesting in getting a hold of Steam Deck at this point. I've never gotten any of the communication emails on when that I've seen reported as supposedly going out to reservation holders, so I'm guessing the hour+ it took to get their site to let my pay for a reservation may have put me pretty far down on the waiting list.

I'm pretty interesting in getting a hold of Steam Deck at this point. I've never gotten any of the communication emails on when that I've seen reported as supposedly going out to reservation holders, so I'm guessing the hour+ it took to get their site to let my pay for a reservation may have put me pretty far down on the waiting list.
We got in around the same time, as I recall, and I have yet to get an email as well.

That just gives us time to wait and watch.

I sent a refund request to Valve today for my Steam Deck Deposit, as it said you could get a refund at any time when I placed the order.

My request was denied because the purchase was over two weeks old and they closed the ticket without giving me a change to reply...

I went to the Steam Deck official page and sure enough, it says you can get a refund no problem. Within 30 days, it's sent to your CC, after 30 days, it's to your Steam Wallet.

I've sent another ticket linking/quoting this, informing them to provide me with my refund. We'll see what happens.

According to the Steam Deck page, if I don't actually order it when the time comes my deposit will be auto-refunded, so in theory if they deny me again I'll get it back that way. The deposit cost is only $5.00, but it's the principle of the matter. Very frustrating.