What's new

Valve Announces Steam Deck (Handheld Gaming Computer)

As someone who has a long commute each day (an hour and a half on the train), I'm really looking forward to this. I was debating getting a Nintendo Switch, but I suspect this will be far more up my alley.

@Immortal In terms of installing Windows 10 on it, how simple was that to do, and did you need to dock the Steam Deck to do so?

Also, offline mode, I assume it works like Steam Offline? On the train I do not expect to have internet connectivity.

Immortal

Blind justice....
(Gyroscope, sleep/resume, can output HDMI over USB-C without dock, etc.)

Apparently it supports Ethernet over USB-C too, so you could game with a wired connection even without the dock if you have the right cabling.
I had mixed results with USB-C to Ethernet with Deck, i've tested few adapters had some issues with random disconnects, it's most likely software related and will be fixed soon.

@Juxtapose - plug in USB stick with windows installer just like to any PC and you go from there, you don't need dock for that. Works just like on any PC. Installing Windows is like the simpliest thing ever even if you're a newbie, it holds your hand throu the whole process which takes like 20 minutes.

Offline mode works just like it works with normal PC Steam client, no problem. Funny thing you mentioned train thou, every train here has WiFi now (not always a working one but most of the times it does work).

Last edited:
I had mixed results with USB-C to Ethernet with Deck, i've tested few adapters had some issues with random disconnects, it's most likely software related and will be fixed soon.

@Juxtapose - plug in USB stick with windows installer just like to any PC and you go form there, you don't need dock for that. Works just like on any PC. Installing Windows is like the simpliest thing ever even if you're a newbie, it holds your hand throu the whole process which takes like 20 minutes.

Offline mode works just like it works with normal PC Steam client, no problem. Funny thing you mentioned train thou, every train here has WiFi now (not always a working one but most of the times it does work).
Thanks kindly for the quick reply!

I didn't realize the unit has a USB port on it itself, I thought a doc would be needed for that.

In terms of Windows 10 installation, in general, I actually clean install it on my PC twice a year, though I use a writable DVD with the ISO.

We actually have wifi on our trains as well now, but I have yet to test it. I figure it's just best to plan without.

I'm trying to reserve the 64GB model (plan to buy a 512 GB SD card for it), but it keeps having issues at payment (not my card). I'm guessing they're getting reamed.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Steam acts like it's mad because I keep trying to hit a continue button but getting an error.

I figure that was enough effort, and hopefully my bank doesn't see 25 attempts or anything.

Steam acts like it's mad because I keep trying to hit a continue button but getting an error.

I figure that was enough effort, and hopefully my bank doesn't see 25 attempts or anything.
I'll try for a bit longer, and if still no luck, then well, looks like it won't be happening.

Ha, now it's telling me "It looks like you've been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again. "

That's the one.
Yup, and that's very disappointing. I get why that message is coming up, but was also able to verify none of my requests went through.

So I figure realistically now I won't be able to get one, at least not for a long time.

Oh well. I wanted to give Valve money, but looks like if I do want gaming on the train, a Switch might be my only option, sadly.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
"a while" is apparently longer than 5-min.

At this point no place in line is going to sound all that attractive. I'll try and get in before newly created accounts get access and decide if it's worth it later, but I'm guessing I missed another tech bus.

I'm well stocked with actual PC gear already so I probably don't need more toys anyway.

"a while" is apparently longer than 5-min.
Yup. Again, I'm trying to give them money.

At this point no place in line is going to sound all that attractive.
Yeah, sadly. They mentioned in an IGN interview something along the line that most of the reservations will take a long time to get out, starting in December and lasting most of 2022. Assuming I'm not misunderstanding, that means getting one at non-scalper prices will be, what, well in 2022?

Very sad and frustrating.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Yup. Again, I'm trying to give them money.

Yeah, sadly. They mentioned in an IGN interview something along the line that most of the reservations will take a long time to get out, starting in December and lasting most of 2022. Assuming I'm not misunderstanding, that means getting one at non-scalper prices will be, what, well in 2022?

Very sad and frustrating.
It's actually very difficult be ready for anomalous peek demand events for a whole host of reasons. Steam is probably better prepared for them that just about anyone else, so it kind of is just a thing to expect if you want the same thing everyone else does. If I hadn't tripped whatever purchasing safeguard we ran into I probably could have finished the process about 20 min in, but then it's going to be a long list at 20min in. From a tech standpoint it probably counts as a decent recovery. Assuming the demand was as epic as it looks.

It's actually very difficult be ready for anomalous peek demand events for a whole host of reasons. Steam is probably better prepared for them that just about anyone else, so it kind of is just a thing to expect if you want the same thing everyone else does. If I hadn't tripped whatever purchasing safeguard we ran into I probably could have finished the process about 20 min in, but then it's going to be a long list at 20min in. From a tech standpoint it probably counts as a decent recovery. Assuming the demand was as epic as it looks.
Yeah, I'm just frustrated. I expected there to be crashes and high demand. I did not expect the service itself to try and stop me from buying their product (or in this case, a reservation for their product). That's the real frustrating part for me.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Here’s an updated article with a bunch more details:

(Gyroscope, sleep/resume, can output HDMI over USB-C without dock, etc.)

Apparently it supports Ethernet over USB-C too, so you could game with a wired connection even without the dock if you have the right cabling.
Those are nice features for a handheld, I’ll admit that.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
nobody will buy.
:cool:

I know it’s cheeky, but I can’t resist poking a bit of fun at this.

In all seriousness though, it seems like demand is already through the roof. Especially since so many people already have Steam libraries/backlogs and won’t even have to buy games (or re-buy new purchases for portable).

Apparently it crashed the entire Steam store.

I finally was able to finish the reservation. Probably to late to mean much, but seems more doable now.
Good stuff. I'm trying again for shits and giggles, and "there's a problem communicating with the Steam severs."

This is just from me trying to log in to my account.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Good stuff. I'm trying again for shits and giggles, and "there's a problem communicating with the Steam severs."

This is just from me trying to log in to my account.
It was still a little dicey for me even shortly before. I'm sure it's still in demand. I just kept trying it every 10-15min until I survived the whole process. Took a very long time to actually process the payment which had me concerned

It was still a little dicey for me even shortly before. I'm sure it's still in demand. I just kept trying it every 10-15min until I survived the whole process. Took a very long time to actually process the payment which had me concerned
Finally got one. After a failed login attempt, getting spammed by Steam with 8 login email verification, and then having it have an issue processing my request, it finally went through.

Update: Interesting, I just checked, and my Steam account shows two failed attempts at a reservation purchase, and one succesful.