What's new

Using trait to get plus frames off near anything and enforce 50/50s (But only on 1/3 of the cast.)

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Wat up? I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, completely unknown or if people are somewhat aware of it but just don't understand what exactly is happening or how to apply it, like I was before I wrapped my head around it. I think this is game changing for Brainiac, in the relevant matchups of course. Any way here goes.

So early on in the game's life it was found that Brainiac could get plus frames using his Beta Strike after strings. The problem was that it wouldn't work on characters who were crouch blocking as Beta Strike would pass over them.

If you are curious to see some of that I made an ugly video before I realized you could crouch it.

The same idea is used often by Brainiac players with the divekick~trait combos which can give you advantage on block, the crouch issue was overcome by forcing the opponent to block overhead. This applied to other overhead moves as well so I made a video about F3~trait plus frames. It's at least +19 but with varying pushback depending on range.

And now to the real good shit.

Certain character's crouching block animations can cause them to be tagged by Beta Strike, allowing for you to get plus frames off of any thing you can connect, and you can even get Beta Strike in some situations to jail into Beta Strike for even more plus frames.
The characters it affects are typically the larger characters and the frames seemingly vary depending on what moves you use. There's many different ways to use this and I have to list the characters it works on but I'll show off the idea first before getting to that.

These are the characters that this works on, Firestorm can be tagged by Beta but his animation is different and it's much tighter. It's possible that a couple others are like that but this is what I found in testing. If it says Yes you get to party and if it says No then the tech won't work because of their hurtbox. The best way to test this is to set the AI to stance block while ducking. If you use always or auto block they will stand up for some reason.

Sub-Zero: No
Swamp Thing: No
Cyborg: Yes
Catwoman: No
Flash: Yes

Green Lantern: Yes
Harley Quinn: No
Batman: Yes
Red Hood: No
Superman: No
Joker: No
Atrocitus: Yes

Gorilla Grodd: Yes
Cheetah: No
Deadshot: No
Poison Ivy: No
Starfire: No

Black Manta: No
Supergirl:
Green Arrow: Yes
Dr. Fate: No
Blue Beetle: No

Firestorm: Yes*
Aquaman: No
Black Canary: No
Darkseid: Yes
Wonder Woman: No
Black Adam: Yes
Captain Cold: No

Robin: No
Scarecrow: No
Bane: Yes
Brainiac: Yes
Raiden: No

Works on: Cyborg, Flash, Green Lantern, Batman, Atrocitus, Gorilla Grodd, Green Arrow, Darkseid, Black Adam, Bane and that sexy beast Brainiac. That's a little less then a third of the cast at 11 all together, not counting Firestorm because of his hurtbox. Some characters behave differently then others, Black Adam for one seemed more difficult then other characters on here.

Finally here's a longer video going over different aspects of this and why it's good. It's my first video like this so forgive how shitty it is.

IN the corner, in conjunction with the BF3 you should be using beta bomb instead: same conversions, works on everyone, more plus on block, steal hits opponents if they hit you out of the shoulder)

I am also starting to use beta bomb more mid screen as well, because the conversions are very easy, and when the drone has released the bomb it comes out even if you get hit. And of course the main thing is that it jails every single character in your next option.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I am also starting to use beta bomb more mid screen as well, because the conversions are very easy, and when the drone has released the bomb it comes out even if you get hit. And of course the main thing is that it jails every single character in your next option.
I get what you are saying man but you have to release beta bomb way too early for it to apply in the same function as beta strike here outside of the corner. If I wanted to do D1~Shoulder, Trait, D1~Shoulder I have to release Beta Bomb before my d1 has touched the opponent and doing it so that it would jail is dramatically more difficult in the midscreen then beta strike against these characters. I'm not even sure it's possible, there's too much pushback from shoulder.

I'm also not sure if we have the same definition of "very easy" lol, granted I'm not sure what conversions you are talking about.

But in the corner, you are right, beta bomb will usually be the better option.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying man but you have to release beta bomb way too early for it to apply in the same function as beta strike here outside of the corner. If I wanted to do D1~Shoulder, Trait, D1~Shoulder I have to release Beta Bomb before my d1 has touched the opponent and doing it so that it would jail is dramatically more difficult in the midscreen then beta strike against these characters. I'm not even sure it's possible, there's too much pushback from shoulder.

I'm also not sure if we have the same definition of "very easy" lol, granted I'm not sure what conversions you are talking about.

But in the corner, you are right, beta bomb will usually be the better option.
I usually release beta bombs right before going for any attack, the mix up in this case is divekick or d3 and the conversions are really easy. IN neutral I use beta strike a lot for b12xxshoulder, d+f1xxShoulder conversions, It is actually possible to combo release beta bomb,b12 (or d+f1) xx shoulder, the bomb hits (almost immediately after shoulder connects), d1xxDox Drill, and it jails on block. That is of course a bit tight on execution.