What's new

Breakthrough - Ruthless Using pain and gain to punish UN punishable reversals and wake ups

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Idk about that. Kotal can't combo 114airgrab on us, and sun god can't even confirm b122 into sunchoke because it whiffs. Lackey can armor all those sword gaps meterlessly and punish both swords on block with roll. Kotal's armor options get shredded by b12 in the corner. Lackey can charge through sun pizza and sword toss on reaction and even though kotal can block it, the best punish he can get is d1. I've played the hell out of this matchup and I can't see it being in kotal's favor.
He doesn't need 114 or b.122 honestly. Also yes and no, you can armor them but he has no reason to do them unless he wants to chunk us for unblockable from full screen. The MU is great if we are on the defensive, BUT he has no reason to pressure us. He has all he needs to get us off of him, being a block button. Once we are full screen, he can lob a sword and beam himself and then it's an uphill climb. We can't even afford to tick throw him because we put him too far.

If we get him in the corner and throw a b.12, he does have an option to beat all of ours. Short delay wake-up. Makes us whiff everything. Can't even play around it because our slower moves get beaten out.

Also if he blocks charge, he can actually just make us hold a 50/50 which leaves us full screen and at a huge disadvantage, or he can do a grab, or he can just run away.

Kotal versus F/T is like Bane vs Killer Frost. You CAN play it super offensively and charge in as Kotal, but you're at a much better advantage if you just press the lifelead and make them come to you, because much like Killer Frost, Lackey Ferra/Torr has very very limited approach options, and none of them are particularly safe. If a Kotal is rushing you down in sword, he is playing the MU wrong.

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
Gotta agree with @dennycascade lackey is a good counter pick to war god, but that's it, the other two variations do moderately well in my experience.

This game isn't properly balanced around a character lackey, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have strong tools.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
He doesn't need 114 or b.122 honestly. Also yes and no, you can armor them but he has no reason to do them unless he wants to chunk us for unblockable from full screen. The MU is great if we are on the defensive, BUT he has no reason to pressure us. He has all he needs to get us off of him, being a block button. Once we are full screen, he can lob a sword and beam himself and then it's an uphill climb. We can't even afford to tick throw him because we put him too far.

If we get him in the corner and throw a b.12, he does have an option to beat all of ours. Short delay wake-up. Makes us whiff everything. Can't even play around it because our slower moves get beaten out.

Also if he blocks charge, he can actually just make us hold a 50/50 which leaves us full screen and at a huge disadvantage, or he can do a grab, or he can just run away.

Kotal versus F/T is like Bane vs Killer Frost. You CAN play it super offensively and charge in as Kotal, but you're at a much better advantage if you just press the lifelead and make them come to you, because much like Killer Frost, Lackey Ferra/Torr has very very limited approach options, and none of them are particularly safe. If a Kotal is rushing you down in sword, he is playing the MU wrong.
Some good points made here, maybe I haven't been playing kotals who know to play the matchup defensively.

joeldm

Noob
Also f1. Kotal has better mid. Kotal has free jump if Lackey has not bar.
Doombawkz explained well this fight.
Lackey is not counter pick.