What's new

USF4's PS4 port has some problems (Other Ocean handled the Port)

Tim Static

Adminerator
Ok, as some of you probably heard, USF4 was finally released yesterday on PSN for Playstation 4, but the port is absolute garbage. I'm just going to c&p this article from Polygon.com, which you can read HERE. The reason I wanted to post this here is because the company hired by Capcom to port USF4 to PS4 is none other than Other Ocean, who is the company behind the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection. Anyways, check it out:

"Capcom's Ultra Street Fighter 4 was released on PlayStation 4 earlier this week, and early reports from players of the fighting game haven't been good. According to members of the fighting game community and a slew of gameplay videos, Ultra Street Fighter 4's transition to PS4 has been rough, with lag, stuttering and other noticeable glitches affecting the experience.

Initial reports pointed out some obvious flaws with the PS4 version; the game's menus were sluggish and longtime players complained of input lag making the game feel "off."

Some glitches — Shoryuken has been tracking the port's sundry issues — were more obvious, making Ultra Street Fighter 4 on PS4 unplayable in some circumstances. Here's a practice match featuring Juri and Dan, in which the game turns into a strobing mess.

Other bugs gave characters an unintentional buff. Here's Guile's sonic boom projectile, glitched to be nearly invisible.

Other issues were mostly harmless, specifically the game's various audio bugs. Here's Dudley versus Dudley, in which the fighter's jump and duck sound effects have been replaced by the sound of metal crunching.

PlayStation director of third-party productions and developer relations Gio Corsi said on Twitter today that Sony is aware of the issues and looking into an update.

SF4_SonyComment.png

We've reached out to Sony Computer Entertainment and Capcom reps for comment and will update with any new information.

Ultra Street Fighter 4's PS4 version, which was handled by iDARB developer Other Ocean Interactive, is slated to be at this year's Evo Championship Series as the primary platform for tournament matches.

Via SHORYUKEN"

Tim Static

Adminerator
Anyone buy this yet? I was planning on it, so I'm glad I waited. I'm sure it will be fixed but it's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous this happens. Now with this along with the disaster of HVS's PC port of MKX and the still un-released last gen ports, which are all but officially delayed until fall AND Other Ocean's MKAK, will NRS & Capcom stop outsourcing these horrendous ports?

My buddy Zaq, a former Admin here, sums it up perfectly:

Audit

Falls down too much
I'd like to mention that online play relies good matchmaking, and the first day of any new game it's rough because they have to build that database of players, skill and connections. It happens with every online game.

The rest of that is trash. I can't believe this will be the main platform for SF4 at Evo. If they can't fix it to tourney standard within the next two weeks it's going to be a blowup. Could you imagine if they get even a single frame wrong from the original and it affects the outcome? It will be like the NCR wrong patch fiasco on a much larger scale.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Fucking... what? Why did Capcom even outsource this in the first place?

Not particularly a good impression to make if you're planning to make the the next major game in the series exclusive to that platform.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
This is getting sickening with all these HD remastered and ports for a quick cash grab, especially with all the problems these games have had since current gen launched.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
To be fair, the new post-patch netcode in MK:AK is absolutely amazing.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Bought the game day 1. Haven't had any glitches yet but slow menus are annoying and online is pretty laggy even on green bar connections. DisplayLag did a test and stated the game has 8f of input lag which is pretty ridiculous for a fighting game. Mr. Wizard also said on Twitter if the issues aren't fixed then USF4 at Evo will be ran on 360.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Anyone buy this yet? I was planning on it, so I'm glad I waited. I'm sure it will be fixed but it's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous this happens. Now with this along with the disaster of HVS's PC port of MKX and the still un-released last gen ports, which are all but officially delayed until fall AND Other Ocean's MKAK, will NRS & Capcom stop outsourcing these horrendous ports?

My buddy Zaq, a former Admin here, sums it up perfectly:

Your friend Zaq is 100% right. Essentially people have bought a game that is not fit for purpose and there is nothing we can do but hold it and accept whatever apology they throw at us. This trend of releasing broken games is horrible and cannot see it slowing down anytime soon.

Last edited:

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
I felt the same way when I saw who was in charge for MKX on PC : "hell no lol" :)
why didn't you tell me... now im stuck on PC, and i have the most livid, putrid aura of hate for a video game studio, because they have my money and my game doesn't work. I'd be embarassed out of my mind if this was my product. i just don't get it.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I almost bought MKX on PC, but decided that since it was a port, I'd skip it. I stopped at the store and bought a PS4 on my way home from work on MKX launch day so I would have it on a proper platform. Thank god.

I hope these developers are learning their lessons with these outsourced ports. Jeez man. Not a good year for porting studios!...

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
I almost bought MKX on PC, but decided that since it was a port, I'd skip it. I stopped at the store and bought a PS4 on my way home from work on MKX launch day so I would have it on a proper platform. Thank god.
You do look like a genius right now, but that's not the most practical solution in most peoples cases lol. I'm sorry tym. every dropped match, desync, or crash i come on here and vent or send HVS insidious emails. It's the most unhealthy a video game has ever made me, emotionally. I'm a heavy idealist, but you don't have to be idealistic to get upset over millions and millions of dollars changing hands for shit that doesn't work. :confused:

edit quote

A new community, many new players, some veterans
and several players with solid fundamentals.
The connection on release day was worse than PC & PS3.
Dropped so many combos, couldn't anti air nor react
properly and sometimes I couldn't even block while crounching. The connection on day 2 was better for some
reason. Still, if Capcom wants to keep the PS4 USF4 community
strong they better release a netcode patch that fix
those issues ASAP or most players will go back to PC, 360 and
PS3.
Some changes I have noticed. Guile can combo from UDK into 2x cr fierce in the corner,
Guile's cr. HP does AA stuff it didn't before such as Yun's dive kick ( not rly sure if Guile could AA this before )
Blanka's neutral jump HP whiffs on some stuff vs characters like Sakura
Juri's EX dive on hit - last hit does miss sometimes for w/e reason
I might be wrong with some of those - needs more testing - will hitting the lab on the weekend when I got more time and
grinding some more games & report back

Just a short montage I have put together - the community seems strong right now but like I said if this netcode doesn't
get any fix ASAP this will change soon - I hope that's not the case.

Last edited:
Your friend Zaq is 100% right. Essentially people have bought a game that is not fit for purpose and there is nothing we can do but hold it and accept whatever apology they throw at us. This trend of releasing broken games is horrible and cannot see it slowing down anytime soon.
The thing is that the companies will keep doing this as long as there are people still buying the games.

Edit: I didnt see the stuff about Sony, No refunds and account closing if you chargeback. wow that sounds shady as hell.

I would avoid playing this version on a Qanba Q4 stick. The lag was very bad. When I tested it on my FC4, I didn't experience that lag. I guess there was a very poor integration of the Lab Zero driver.

d3v

SRK
Just wanted to point out that the port is now at the point where some tournaments are running the PS4 version already. I know some tournaments in Korea already use it.

Also, at least a couple of Capcom Pro Tour events in Asia have confirmed that they will use it as well. FV Cup this August, and my own Manila Cup in September.