What's new

Use of Mortal Kombat logo

Spletty

Grandmaster
I sent a picture of the mk logo to millenium discs for a custom set of disc golf discs. They need a release to use it and I emailed netherrealm. Do they actually need permission for use of a generic mk logo or not? And if so is netherrealm going to even take the time to respond to a menial email from me?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Well using the Mk logo is now in the hands of WB and the attourney department will answer you most likely, but i don't think that for free they would let you use it for any business activity. If it is not well you are free to do it without asking.

Spletty

Grandmaster
What are golf discs? You play golf?

Interesting combo, guitar and golf...
Lol yeah I'm an unusual character.. metal head that plays disc golf, guitar, and video games lol

Disc golf is kind of a hippie game but is super fun. A lot like regular golf but you use expensive "frisbees" and there's a basket with chains as the hole. Same as golf with tees, pars, driver discs, mid range discs, and putters. I just need the release and ill have a set of legit discs with the mk logo.

This is a disc I dyed of my college mascot

Now I just want my full set of mk ones!

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Well using the Mk logo is now in the hands of WB and the attourney department will answer you most likely, but i don't think that for free they would let you use it for any business activity. If it is not well you are free to do it without asking.
Yea, I have the MK logo in my sig. (I hope that I don't get sued)

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Lol yeah I'm an unusual character.. metal head that plays disc golf, guitar, and video games lol

Disc golf is kind of a hippie game but is super fun. A lot like regular golf but you use expensive "frisbees" and there's a basket with chains as the hole. Same as golf with tees, pars, driver discs, mid range discs, and putters. I just need the release and ill have a set of legit discs with the mk logo.

This is a disc I dyed of my college mascot

Now I just want my full set of mk ones!

Beaver? MK, Golf, Guitar, and Beavers... unce unce beavers.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
You think it would be like free advertising, but they don't know what your intentions are if you're going to be using their logo. I'd see it like this: your disc golf buddies see the dragon and say "thats fucking awesome dude" and you can tell them its the mk logo, maybe getting them re-interested(or interested) in the series. Thats the best case scenario. More likely they probably think it runs the risk of you tarnishing their brand/name.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If it's for your personal amusement, collection shouldn't be an issue. If you're using it for profits though, that would be a problem due to copyrights and all that.

Example, I have the MK dragon tattoo, nobody's suing me lol. It's for my own personal use. Probably the best way to get the mark of something you love (without any legal issues lol)

Spletty

Grandmaster
If it's for your personal amusement, collection shouldn't be an issue. If you're using it for profits though, that would be a problem due to copyrights and all that.

Example, I have the MK dragon tattoo, nobody's suing me lol. It's for my own personal use. Probably the best way to get the mark of something you love (without any legal issues lol)
Yeah would that count if I was having a company make the discs for me? I mean I'm obviously not doing it for profit but they said they need permission from the owner...

MKF30

Yeah would that count if I was having a company make the discs for me? I mean I'm obviously not doing it for profit but they said they need permission from the owner...

I take it your taptalk registered twice eh? :p It's crazy how you can post from phones now. Anywho lol, yeah I think once you mention what it's for(and not fan art or a tattoo, something like that) such as a flying disk, they'll probably think hmm if it can be sold or potentially making this guy a profit using our icon, that's a no.

I'm not saying you're going to make a profit, it could be and am sure it is for your own use as an MK fan :) I love the icon too, but just pointing out how WB will be thinking you know? For the record, MK dragon is a bad ass icon!

Spletty

Grandmaster
I take it your taptalk registered twice eh? :p It's crazy how you can post from phones now. Anywho lol, yeah I think once you mention what it's for(and not fan art or a tattoo, something like that) such as a flying disk, they'll probably think hmm if it can be sold or potentially making this guy a profit using our icon, that's a no.

I'm not saying you're going to make a profit, it could be and am sure it is for your own use as an MK fan :) I love the icon too, but just pointing out how WB will be thinking you know? For the record, MK dragon is a bad ass icon!
Lol yeah tapatalk 2: revenge of the tap

I hope they allow it, I mean I'm definitely not gonna sell it. Just a fan and want it on my disc..

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
For your own personal amusement, you should make it yourself and no one anywhere will hunt you down with any sort of issue. The company that you are asking to make the disc for you makes a profit on making said disc so they will not do so while using someone elses property.

Bottom line, you want this special thing a special way, your only option is to do it yourself. Welcome to the world of modding... modding frizbee golf discs lol :)

MKF30

Lol yeah tapatalk 2: revenge of the tap

I hope they allow it, I mean I'm definitely not gonna sell it. Just a fan and want it on my disc..

Yep, I hear ya lol. Of course you could always hire, find and artist with skills to draw it on it :) lol

Spletty

Grandmaster
For your own personal amusement, you should make it yourself and no one anywhere will hunt you down with any sort of issue. The company that you are asking to make the disc for you makes a profit on making said disc so they will not do so while using someone elses property.

Bottom line, you want this special thing a special way, your only option is to do it yourself. Welcome to the world of modding... modding frizbee golf discs lol :)
Lol yeah I've done it before but I'm not great and is a pain in the ass. Looks like its my only option now though

Spletty

Grandmaster
Yep, I hear ya lol. Of course you could always hire, find and artist with skills to draw it on it :) lol
I could draw on it myself but the only way itl be permanent and look nice is if you use Rit dye that was made prior to 2011 (tough to find) and use acetone to remove the original ink, map the picture out on vinyl or contact paper, and put the dye on the disc for a long time, a few times. Such a pain

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I could draw on it myself but the only way itl be permanent and look nice is if you use Rit dye that was made prior to 2011 (tough to find) and use acetone to remove the original ink, map the picture out on vinyl or contact paper, and put the dye on the disc for a long time, a few times. Such a pain

I'd use a permanent marker, or paint. Whichever works better.

Spletty

Grandmaster
I'd use a permanent marker, or paint. Whichever works better.
Paint comes off very easy (from experience lol) and affects the weight of the disc so it will fly different, marker just doesn't look right so the dye is the only way to make it turn out decent

This is the mk disc my brother dyed for me, he's much better than I am

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Paint comes off very easy (from experience lol) and affects the weight of the disc so it will fly different, marker just doesn't look right so the dye is the only way to make it turn out decent

This is the mk disc my brother dyed for me, he's much better than I am

That is sick!!!

I was joking about the marker and paint. I'm horrible at art stuff, which is weird cause my whole family seems to know how to do most artsy stuff really nice.

I can color within the lines, if ya want.