What's new

USA vs the World at EVO 2012 [We need a team]

Okay, no. EVO is not an indication as to who the best in the world is, and that is precisely why Perfect Legend gets all the crap he does--he declares himself the MK9 world champion, but never shows up to any recent tourneys to defend his title. EVO was played when this game was young and VERY different, including his main, which was unanimously agreed to be fucked up (not saying that's the reason he won, but even he admits the nerfs changed his character a lot).

A better indication as to why PL is a good player was his display of Raiden during Frosty Faustings, but that's hardly enough to consider him the best in the US, let alone the world, especially since VSM wasn't there, and they proved themselves at that 5v5 in Final Round. Oh, PL beat Slips? Well, CD babied him twice. Whupty-doo (no offense, Slips. <3).

CD jr and REO have proven that they're the best in the US, and until Perfect Legend beats them at MLG, that EVO victory means shit.
Evo is the world championship, I understand that the game has changed a lot but its still mk9. Kung lao was not the reason why Pl won Evo, there were enough Kung lao players at the time and Perfect legend is the only real kung lao up to this day that goes to and has won majors up to this day...thats says something my friend. The biggest arguement people had was the 24 low hat shenanigan. If people cant learn to block low and d1 punish it its their own problem... people werent really punishing Mileenas ex teleport at the time , its the same thing

mekane

Noob
What about running the 5 vs 5 event immediately after the EVO tourney is over and taking the 5 top placers from US to represent us?
but if for some reason you or CD Jr, etc. didn't finish in the top 5, that would be a huge let down not to have you guys in the 5v5

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
What about running the 5 vs 5 event immediately after the EVO tourney is over and taking the 5 top placers from US to represent us?

I like this

Or if u do it before EVO have top 5 on NFG list be the team

Right now it'd be
REo
Cd Jr
Detroit
Maxter
16 bit

Saint

Noob
what exactly are the qualifications here? some ppl mentioned have only attended like 2 majors. yes they placed top 8, but that being the case, i could have stopped attending tourneys after 2 or 3 majors. so what if one of these guys goes to the next 2 majors and gets 9th? off the team? not top anymore lol? i think this community is waaaaaay to fickle and flip floppy to actually vote because their vote will change after almost every major.

just get a captain and have him select a team.
dude I had the craziest idea after watching one of Aris podcasts.... what if everything you've been doing after Evo 2k11 has been sandbagging and this coming Evo you'd plow through everyone ha! That'd be the greatest move in fighting game history lmao.

Back to point. Personally I think that you should either get the top 5 USA placers at Evo, or take the highest placing American and have him pick his team.

If a captain would choose the team members he would be choosing people of their own region.

For example: Cdjr or reo would obviously choose people from VSM so its really VSM vs the world.

CDjr and Reo need to be in it obviously. the other 3 could be anybody, Perfect legend needs to be in it IMO but I dont think he really cares for this kinda stuff, hes more of a tourney guy I guess?

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
No CD Jr ? LOL.
You can ''LOL'' at my personal opinion, as capitalised as you want, but it won't change anything.

Id rather have Pig Of The Hut instead of CDjr. Allot of people are thinking of person playing, and not the characters made available by selection of the person. If you choose CD you will get Jax, Rain, Smoke.

Pig Brings Mileena, Kenshi and CSZ, totally different characters, making a much wider spectrum to the USA team than what CDjr could, as far as ''play style'' characters go. Pig would be the only USA player to have a ''brick wall'' type character with Kenshi, which will counter allot more than CDjr's characters, no other USA player but will provide that as such a high level.

UsedForGlue

The problem with a Captain making the choices, is there will be bias decisions, and no over ride to any of them.

dude I had the craziest idea after watching one of Aris podcasts.... what if everything you've been doing after Evo 2k11 has been sandbagging and this coming Evo you'd plow through everyone ha! That'd be the greatest move in fighting game history lmao.

Back to point. Personally I think that you should either get the top 5 USA placers at Evo, or take the highest placing American and have him pick his team.
He is the MKplayer with the most experience IMO, the chances of tom getting obliterated by an unkown matchup is very minimal ,even compared to guys like reo and cdjr.

LEGEND

YES!
You can ''LOL'' at my personal opinion, as capitalised as you want, but it won't change anything.

Id rather have Pig Of The Hut instead of CDjr. Allot of people are thinking of person playing, and not the characters made available by selection of the person. If you choose CD you will get Jax, Rain, Smoke.

Pig Brings Mileena, Kenshi and CSZ, totally different characters, making a much wider spectrum to the USA team.
i would agree with that but Jax is God to people that don't know the MU, and i'm not sure if the EU has a Good enough Jax to prepare you guys

UsedForGlue

i would agree with that but Jax is God to people that don't know the MU, and i'm not sure if the EU has a Good enough Jax to prepare you guys
This isn't online, nor a micky mouse 5v5, lack of match up experiance won't be an issue, nor should it be for the other team. Thats completely out of the question.

And yes, we have Jax players, but you said it yourself, that your ''not sure if the EU has a good jax'', so thats assuming on your part, which is what you were aiming for, by putting a Jax into the 5v5.

Its not that simple.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
what exactly are the qualifications here? some ppl mentioned have only attended like 2 majors. yes they placed top 8, but that being the case, i could have stopped attending tourneys after 2 or 3 majors. so what if one of these guys goes to the next 2 majors and gets 9th? off the team? not top anymore lol? i think this community is waaaaaay to fickle and flip floppy to actually vote because their vote will change after almost every major.

just get a captain and have him select a team.
YOU'RE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST FIGHT!

You're good brady, I don't doubt that, I just don't think of you as a TOP player, but I do think of you as a consistently competing player.

Brady your fan base is like the Washington Redskins fanbase, every year they think they are going to do something amazing and go to the playoffs, they love you but they are delusional. ONLY reason I can see voting for you in is to have some diversity to the team.

This is NOT the All-Star game guys, this shit is the OLYMPICS! Don't vote for your favorite player or an interesting "clash" of warriors, but for the BEST to represent your country.

If the US loses to EU do you know what these forums will be like for a whole year?! shiiiiiiiiiit.

And Brady just to show I'm not trying to bust your balls....why are you guys also voting for Perfect Legend???

Dark_Rob

Noob
what? do you not see what mekane wrote? how can you guys possily vote for a guy who only appears top because of a weaker playing field. I now agree, no way should someone who can't place top with strong players in attendence play in this 5v5.
And what? You believe everything you read and everything other people say? If so, I own a bridge in Brooklyn Id like to sell you. Toms attended nearly every major tournament under the sun and then some. He comes to NY and stays at my house for weeks of end just to be able to be in NY and play REO, CD jr, CD, Maxter,Riu48 and lots of great players as much as he can. He doesn't hide from competition, he seeks it out. Say what you want about his tourney record, but you can't ever call him a coward.

UsedForGlue

If the US loses to EU do you know what these forums will be like for a whole year?! shiiiiiiiiiit.
Its generally Americans looking down on US, so that's not the type of thing we would be into nor should you expect if that happaned, we just play them game regardless of some random American players much ''sought after respect''.

well, no.. i have not been holding back LOL, but if i had not gone into roulette character mode i'd have been top 8 at 1 or both of the last 2 events.

even still, the idea that i cant place top 8 with strong comp around is ridiculous because i have consistently done this. what i have done more then anyone else is put myself vs the best on WAY more occasions and been top WAAAAAAY more then not. so many others have only done this 1 or 2 times. try doing this MANY times and being top 8 in the high 80% to 90% range. i think its dumb that i could go 6 of the last 7 majors and be top 4-8 in 4 of them then get 9th in the other 2 and be blown up. i see ppl who have only attended 1 or 2 majors get called "consistent top 8 placers".. REALLY? id say that along with the rest of my overall tourney resume makes me one of the top 8-10 players overall. i have been in the top 8 most of my MK9 tourney life, and been in the top 10 at every event but 1.

we need a captain who will select the best team. i'd rather have a bias captain pick a team over an ignorant community.

UsedForGlue

I strongly disagree what if Reo/CD/CDjr/PL/Detroit (FOR EXAMPLE) got to eliminate each other before the ''top 5''?
Then you would still have Pig Of The Hut, Maxter, KT Smith, 16Bit, Morty, Dizzy, Tom Brady, ATL red, Chris G, Tyrant, Classy, Slips, Big D, iKizzle, J360, BWhizz...And many more.

And those players would be the ones who placed the highest at EVO, is that not good enough for you? Or should it be reguardless of placement at Evo, Detriot goes out before top16, yet the guy who beat him doesn't get in the 5v5, but Detroit does...

Like i said, Who places top, is top.

UsedForGlue

well, no.. i have not been holding back LOL, but if i had not gone into roulette character mode i'd have been top 8 at 1 or both of the last 2 events.

even still, the idea that i cant place top 8 with strong comp around is ridiculous because i have consistently done this. what i have done more then anyone else is put myself vs the best on WAY more occasions and been top WAAAAAAY more then not. so many others have only done this 1 or 2 times. try doing this 15 times and being top 8 in the high 80% to 90% range. i think its dumb that i could go to 6 majors and be top 4-8 in 4 of them then get 9th in the other 2 and be blown up. i see ppl who have only attended 1 or 2 majors get called "consistent top 8 placers".. REALLY?

we need a captain who will select the best team. i'd rather have a bias captain pick a team over an ignorant community.
Tom, you place high at every tournament, and deserve to be in the top 5 just as much as anyone else. And I agree, that even though a captain would be bias, the community could be trusted even less.

YRemY

Noob
MKF30
Senator123
Justin Wong
King Hippo
Sans Power
I think you'd have to worry more about Senator123 than members of the EU team.

After Final Round, I don't see anyone can doubt Pig of the Hut as a mention to the warranted list of CD, CD Jr, Detroit, and REO although I believe Dizzy, Morty Seinfeld and PL are also strong contenders.

Saint

Noob

even still, the idea that i cant place top 8 with strong comp around is ridiculous because i have consistently done this. what i have done more then anyone else is put myself vs the best on WAY more occasions and been top WAAAAAAY more then not. so many others have only done this 1 or 2 times. try doing this MANY times and being top 8 in the high 80% to 90% range. i think its dumb that i could go 6 of the last 7 majors and be top 4-8 in 4 of them then get 9th in the other 2 and be blown up. i see ppl who have only attended 1 or 2 majors get called "consistent top 8 placers".. REALLY? id say that along with the rest of my overall tourney resume makes me one of the top 8-10 players overall. i have been in the top 8 most of my MK9 tourney life, and been in the top 10 at every event but 1.

Please don't missunderstand what I said man, if you need to go back and read the post again. I know your placings because I've watched every single one of those tournaments.

Was more of a crazy idea I just had. Would have been the Marshall swindle of MK :D

For the US players, as I stated earlier in this thread. The most fair alternative be it biased or not, I couldn't care less, is to have the best placing US player in Evo 2k12 for Mortal Kombat pick and choose his team from the array of players that will be available to him at the event. Assuming they are up for it.

Well here is my 2 cents concerning these tournaments you guys call "Majors". From a community stand point these tournaments are majors, but from a industry or league standpoint they are just local and or regional competitions at best. What our community tournaments lack are professional production, significant money and corporate sponsorship that would help legitimize the integrity of the tournament.

For example Final Round is endorsed by Evolution which legitimizes it as a official Major. When it comes to Mortal Kombat it really isn't accepted by the fighting game community. That is because it is primarily run by "Capcom" fighting games. This is why we need to support MLG. Like Evo, MLG is giving particular fighting games a platform to legitimize itself. Please don't take that out of context. I don't mean to suggest that our community competitions are not good, however I am saying that with the enormous growth rate that Fighting Games as a whole is growing we need to evolve with the times. Think of it like this, the MK community is a Third World Country compared to other fighting games so we need to step it up.

This 5 on 5 competition that you guys want to put on, why not bring this to MLG and see if they can add to it as some type of exhibition or something to that nature. Every MLG event should be taken seriously and be more on the priority list as far as MK players within the MK community are concerned. If we seriously think that going to a tournament that only pays out top 3 with the age old 70/20/10 pay out and runs games that are usually behind schedule is the type of professional competition that you guys want, then I have to say that the Mortal Kombat community is in trouble.

I know some of you want to argue my point, but my rebuttal to you would then be, look at IPL (www.twitch.tv/iplfighters)
Each of them received $1k just for showing up....while we'd be fighting to split $1k. Come on man...we got to step this up.