What's new

Tech Upwhip frame trap

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
Did anybody try to do a 11upwhip frame trap p0ke catclaw? So people can respect it. So if you can do it again you can follow it up with a overhead instead of a poke.

Up whip is plus 2

Last edited:

Crathen

Death is my business
Nope , it's always high and there are no jail setups for it.

And i'd rather go for the 50 50 or staggering strings than be at +2.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
So I tried this in training mode. I put the opponent to auto block, put reversal mode on and roll on. I picked lex luthor and Flash. I had Lex set to do corp charge on reversal and Flash to do lightning charge on reversal. On lex, the up whip would stuff corp charge every time but on flash , the lighting charge would punish cat woman every time. So any character that has a long range 6 frame poke (off the top of my head I can't think of any) can punish you before you recover from up whip. Also the 112 pushes you out, so the only poke into claws i could do was f112. B12d3 would not hit from that range. Also I don't think you are at +2 with a whiffed up whip. You are only +2 if it is blocked but I have no idea how anyone blocks it. Maybe a character who is in the air with armor.

Ra Helios

Yeah I never tested it out but I was just curious because I did it yesterday. None of my friends didn't want to go in practice mode with me so I decided to post this so any of you can test this out. @chemist4hire you don't connect the whole 112 that push you out you only suppose to connect 112 in a half then do up whip and it will hit the opponent. Try that. And see what you can up with. Also you have xbox live? Add me Ra God Osiris I have lots of gimmicks and tech to share. I want to see if it works though.

Ra Helios

@chemist4hire yes it hit standing opponent but you have to do a 112 not all the but when catwoman about to push her opponent away you do the up whip which will hit your opponent

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Yeah I never tested it out but I was just curious because I did it yesterday. None of my friends didn't want to go in practice mode with me so I decided to post this so any of you can test this out. @chemist4hire you don't connect the whole 112 that push you out you only suppose to connect 112 in a half then do up whip and it will hit the opponent. Try that. And see what you can up with. Also you have xbox live? Add me Ra God Osiris I have lots of gimmicks and tech to share. I want to see if it works though.
Ok so i tried 11 up whip, if they block 11 they are forced to block the up whip and you are left at +2. They cannot reversal in between 1 and up whip. You can follow this up with d1, f1, b1, b2 and for big hitbox characters a f2. I am on xbox live. My tag is chemistforhire.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
The only weakness I have found with this is that 1,1 starts off with a high and can therefore be ducked. It does not work on low hitbox characters like cat woman and batgirl because the up whip whiffs on them at point blank standing range. Also they can fuzzy guard the up whip by ducking while blocking causing it to whiff.

Ra Helios

Ok so i tried 11 up whip, if they block 11 they are forced to block the up whip and you are left at +2. They cannot reversal in between 1 and up whip. You can follow this up with d1, f1, b1, b2 and for big hitbox characters a f2. I am on xbox live. My tag is chemistforhire.
Sure. I'm on my way. Done welding so I'm right now waiting on the bus so once I'm at my house I will add you and we can go on practice mode

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I am actually thinking of using this after a blocked f1,1,2 to keep the pressure going. For two reasons, f1112 does not push them out far and you can still do the up whip after 2 and get the frame advantage. Also because at that point they are already blocking high and expecting claws which some people still think needs to be blocked high.

EDIT: This only works on floating and big characters like superman, wonder woman, etc. It doesn't work agains batman or flash or any of the small hitbox characters.

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.
Was checking this out, I think we are too focused on the 1,1 starter. It doesn't matter what the starter combo is before the up whip. The only thing that matters is that the character we are facing is stand blocking when we up whip. I think this would be a better served frame trap off of a f112~up whip for a couple reasons. 1. Because it's an overhead, and an advancing one at that, so crouched or not our first swing on the string will hit (unlike the high of a standing 1 on a character that is ducking) 2. Because the f1 conditions our opponents to stand block as does the fear of f1123 (which ends in an overhead).

I think this is a super risky frame trap because the ducked up whip we have 24 recovery frames, so that's a pretty easy punish. Also we can't combo it so if they do for some reason let go of block then we end up with nothing, when finishing out strings with cat claws or cat stance cartwheel when can adjust on reaction for combos. It whiffs stand blocking string on small hitbox characters (tested on CW BG and NW then stopped), so it's character dependant. And really +2 only grants a d1~catclaws frame trap, otherwise everything else can be poked out, so the risk vs reward just doesn't seem to be there.

I like the idea of using more of her tools often, and I'm not saying this would never work, I just don't see this being a viable set up.

Ra Helios

I am actually thinking of using this after a blocked f1,1,2 to keep the pressure going. For two reasons, f1112 does not push them out far and you can still do the up whip after 2 and get the frame advantage. Also because at that point they are already blocking high and expecting claws which some people still think needs to be blocked high.

EDIT: This only works on floating and big characters like superman, wonder woman, etc. It doesn't work agains batman or flash or any of the small hitbox characters.
Good show me all of this. I almost at my house

Ra Helios

Was checking this out, I think we are too focused on the 1,1 starter. It doesn't matter what the starter combo is before the up whip. The only thing that matters is that the character we are facing is stand blocking when we up whip. I think this would be a better served frame trap off of a f112~up whip for a couple reasons. 1. Because it's an overhead, and an advancing one at that, so crouched or not our first swing on the string will hit (unlike the high of a standing 1 on a character that is ducking) 2. Because the f1 conditions our opponents to stand block as does the fear of f1123 (which ends in an overhead).

I think this is a super risky frame trap because the ducked up whip we have 24 recovery frames, so that's a pretty easy punish. Also we can't combo it so if they do for some reason let go of block then we end up with nothing, when finishing out strings with cat claws or cat stance cartwheel when can adjust on reaction for combos. It whiffs stand blocking string on small hitbox characters (tested on CW BG and NW then stopped), so it's character dependant. And really +2 only grants a d1~catclaws frame trap, otherwise everything else can be poked out, so the risk vs reward just doesn't seem to be there.

I like the idea of using more of her tools often, and I'm not saying this would never work, I just don't see this being a viable set up.
I was just a idea. Never really tested this out. THe 1f2 frame trap will leave you at plus 3. So I was thinking each time you do it that opponent will respect you for that which leave you to a mix up once you do a 1f2 again with the overhead or low

Ra Helios

Yeah man I know about that cartwheel tech I'm about to show chemistry some of it and it's gimmicks

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So does Ra Helios' stick work now? Or is he still using that option select?

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.
Yeah man I know about that cartwheel tech I'm about to show chemistry some of it and it's gimmicks
Just as a little side note, I'm sure some of you know, but flash can punish catclaws on block, so whenever I'm playing a flash I never use catclaws, my strings usually end with cat stance cartwheel because it is safe and is a launcher on hit.

Edit: not all strings will convert the cat stance cartwheel, so make sure you get in the lab and make sure it works.

Oo I remember doing up whip in the corner on bigger characters like Lex, Doomsday, etc. ..the follow up d1 or standing 1 would always hit them afterwards so maybe

Ra Helios

Just as a little side note, I'm sure some of you know, but flash can punish catclaws on block, so whenever I'm playing a flash I never use catclaws, my strings usually end with cat stance cartwheel because it is safe and is a launcher on hit.

Edit: not all strings will convert the cat stance cartwheel, so make sure you get in the lab and make sure it works.
No I didn't know that. I rarely face flash players