What's new

Upgraded - Jacqui’s 3rd variation

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Also, even though it's gimmicky, you can ground pound off a short hop for a close-to unreactable (although unsafe) 50/50 (short-hop overhead punch vs. short hop GP).

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Been experimenting with combos more. You can finish with 33 in place of your ender for the side switch. It does slightly less damage but leaves you closer and at more frame advantage.

In the corner:

starter~du~db1(ex), njk, 3~df1, d1, d1, 112~bf2

Is really consistent and does more damage.

If you manage to land a KB d2 in the corner and are looking to be swaggy AF:

d2, 44~du~db1(ex), njk, d1, 112~bf2 (447.22)

Likewise with the same combo and 33 KB (465.36)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
You need a pretty specific timing to anti-air Jacqui's crossup close Bounce on wakeup. What would normally be a fairly late d2 or jab will still come out on the wrong side.

People will get used to it eventually, but I think it's worth knowing in the meantime.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So with the Bounce allowing you to basically cover most the of the screen, I was thinking that maybe we could make use of the frames on farther knockdowns. I was wondering about 'semi-safe jump' setups, so I did some testing.

With anything around 40'ish frames, the opponent can't hit a button or move on wakeup (they have to u3/u2/roll):
224 -> Far Bionic Bounce
f22 -> Close Bionic Bounce

And with stuff around 35'ish frames, the opponent can anti air with a jab or d1, but it's a pretty tight window and it's easy to mess it up:
f3141+3 -> Bionic Bounce -- which is after a useful BnB ender

And as always, you could just stuff the AA attempt after f3141+3 with Air Blast, or Amp Air Blast into combo.

Maybe someone will find some occasional uses for these, but I'm just tossing them out there.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
So with the Bounce allowing you to basically cover most the of the screen, I was thinking that maybe we could make use of the frames on farther knockdowns. I was wondering about 'semi-safe jump' setups, so I did some testing.

With anything around 40'ish frames, the opponent can't hit a button or move on wakeup (they have to u3/u2/roll):
224 -> Far Bionic Bounce
f22 -> Close Bionic Bounce

And with stuff around 35'ish frames, the opponent can anti air with a jab or d1, but it's a pretty tight window and it's easy to mess it up:
f3141+3 -> Bionic Bounce -- which is after a useful BnB ender

And as always, you could just stuff the AA attempt after f3141+3 with Air Blast, or Amp Air Blast into combo.

Maybe someone will find some occasional uses for these, but I'm just tossing them out there.
Can you cancel 224? I didn’t think you could anymore.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Can you cancel 224? I didn’t think you could anymore.
Not as a cancel, but if you Far Bionic Bounce during the first available frames after the knockdown (it's +40), you'll arrive with a just-below meaty timing.

So for example you could do f12, Amp Bionic Bounce, nj2, f22, f22, f22, 224 for 30% (sacrificing a couple % of damage to place your opponent near the corner) and Far Bionic Bounce to land your jump-in when they're just waking up.

It's deceptive because they land so far away from you and it looks like they have time to move, or hit a button to AA, but they don't. Something else to add to the bag of tricks.

Last edited:

cashthesehands

monster masher
Not as a cancel, but if you Far Bionic Bounce during the first available frames after the knockdown (it's +40), you'll arrive with a just-below meaty timing.

So for example you could do f12, Amp Bionic Bounce, nj2, f22, f22, f22, 224 for 30% (sacrificing a couple % of damage to place your opponent near the corner) and Far Bionic Bounce to land your jump-in when they're just waking up.

It's deceptive because they land so far away from you and it looks like they have time to move, or hit a button to AA, but they don't. Something else to add to the bag of tricks.
Similar setups work off of ending in 112, 224, basically anywhere you would have ended early in next gen for a setup. With 224 you can bionic dash in as well and land pretty much on top of them, if you want to mix it up from the bionic bounce approach (you can also just cancel the bounce early on with an air blast and b2 in the rest of the way.

She has so many options to mix up her offense and approach. It is wild.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Can’t believe nrs actually designed a semi high execution with good reward but not op. Awesome design and I’m having a blast learning her.

Such a fresh of breath air to actually have to practice with her to flesh her out and actually be good with her. Proud of nrs on this one

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Can’t believe nrs actually designed a semi high execution with good reward but not op. Awesome design and I’m having a blast learning her.

Such a fresh of breath air to actually have to practice with her to flesh her out and actually be good with her. Proud of nrs on this one
Yeah honestly, between this and the newly improved Kitana, stuff is heading back in the direction of people who want more flexibility. So that's a positive thing.

And there's usually at least one crazy DLC character with some nutty mechanics (Skarlet, Zatanna, Zod, Tanya, Red Hood, Atom etc), so we might be shifting a little more that way.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
On second thought I actually think she might end up being too strong.. I’m maining her but damn some of these tools almost seem out of place in mk11 haha I hope they just buff the rest of the characters instead

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
On second thought I actually think she might end up being too strong.. I’m maining her but damn some of these tools almost seem out of place in mk11 haha I hope they just buff the rest of the characters instead
Yeah, this is definitely not a "footsies" character anymore, lmao.

But shh, what we should actually do is downplay x1000 so that people have sympathy for us.

So let's start talking today about how hard it is and how it's easy to blow it up and people should try playing her and see what the struggle is like before they hate. Somebody call Glortor for tips.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I’ve never blown up so people in this game before. Like hoooooooollly shit she’s kind of busted. Like even the people I’ve played that know the mu/counterplay can’t deal with it..

Okay this is the last comment I post saying she’s op. I’m scared they’re going to nerf her.. I’m going to start downplaying in 3..2..1..

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Honestly it’s actually pretty easy to deal with her jump pressure. You can jab her after the mb air shot.. not a big deal
Yeah exactly. They should make it true jail on block.

Also she needs the gap between the ex and non ex ground pound to be removed. Oh, and a krushing blow added the launches with the requirement being “must be caught stand blocking”.

Also she needs pre-patch damage back because now she has to open people up 3-4 times each match instead of 2-3. It’s so hard and she’s so meter dependent.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Honestly it’s actually pretty easy to deal with her jump pressure. You can jab her after the mb air shot.. not a big deal
A few points on this:

Amp air shot into air shot will blow this up, and you'll be at plus frames.

Double amp air shot will blow it up for combo, if you want to spend both bars.

If they are stand blocking and you do the Amp air shot slightly late, so that it connects high up on their body, then an attempt to jab afterwards will whiff as she's too high in the air.

And if you are waiting for an air shot she can do Close Bionic Bounce and cross you over -- and then you don't know if she's going to do crossup into late air shot on the other side to beat AA, or just go straight into her jump normal into pressure/combo.

At the very least it's going to be a mindgame. It'll reward people who put the time in to not just auto-pilot the character.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
NRS + Twitter pro player nerf guide:

Has any liu kang main lost a single match to your main? -> NERF THAT SHIT
Does sonic pick up your main to counter liu kang? -> NERF THAT SHIT
Do all liu kang mains steamroll your main?-> Character is fine, learn better footsies

So as long as you don't beat them with her you should be all set.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
question: does this variation has one less krushing blow than 1st round KO? Because the DF3 1 KB is gone
It has 2 less krushing blows.

Doesn’t have the grab reversal one nor the clinch KB; but she has reliable ways to combo into bf2 KB so it’s more usable I guess?

It has 2 less krushing blows.

Doesn’t have the grab reversal one nor the clinch KB; but she has reliable ways to combo into bf2 KB so it’s more usable I guess?
Thanks. I am actually surprised because I thought NRS would design every variation with the same amount of krushing blows, it's just weird. Don't mean to downplay or anything :D just weird

Wigy

There it is...
I've seen a lack of this variation in tournament is there something holding it back? On paper it seems very oppressive.

In theory every touch is a total shit show of guessing if you have bar.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I've seen a lack of this variation in tournament is there something holding it back? On paper it seems very oppressive.

In theory every touch is a total shit show of guessing if you have bar.
There have been two players recently who've been playing mainly Upgraded in tournament -- Deoxys, and the dude from ECT (forgot his name).

What's holding it back? Mainly the fact that it's quite unsafe (because blocked air blast cancel into anything other than another air blast is interruptable, ground pound is punishable, and the bounces are anti-airable). So in order to make this variation work you need to think/play very quickly, have the right answer for every situation, and also not make a lot of mistakes (because each wrong read on a bounce or jump-in will likely be full combo punished).

Imo it takes a lot of experience to build out the meta of a character like that, so that you can play at full speed and also make all the necessary adjustments on the fly. If somebody makes her shine, it's probably going to be a player who put the work in for months, not just a few weeks.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested.

Part 1

Part 2

Jump loop corner combo

Another corner combo

Another corner combo

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I'm still playing around with uses for it, but ending a combo with Ground Pound in the corner leaves you at +8 in a standing-reset-ish situation (technically they were never launched, but it looks like an ender and ends with a strange amount of hitstun).

They can't really hit a button after this, so I'd bet that it's something you could catch people with if they aren't looking out for it.