What's new

Upgraded - Jacqui’s 3rd variation

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
This post is gonna be a write up of all I’ve found playing this variation for the past two days.

Jacqui’s third variation, Upgraded is equipped with:
  • Bionic Bounce
  • Enhanced Air Blast
  • (Air) Ground Pound
This gives her new combo routes and interesting pressure options.

du~db1 jails on block after f31, b32, 22 and 11. Although there’s a gap between f12~du~db1, it is not large enough to poke or reversal out.

She can be anti-aired inbetween loops of f12~du~db1~nj(k/p) but this can be beat out by double db1, not doing db1, or varying the timing of the first db1; it becomes a guessing game to anti air and is quite challenging.

In this variation, f12 becomes her main pressure string. This is because it stagers very well, is completely safe on block, can be easily hit confirmed and hits mid. You can still use f3, but it doesn’t stagger as well as f1 (and it leads to less damage on hit). b324 and b34 also become much more useful in this variation as she can safely use b32 and get a full combo on hit or fly away on block. This opens up the plus frames of b34 to add into your pressure.

Upon a blocked string cancelled into du, you can do dub and get a further jump in for more block pressure. This however can be anti-aired if the opponent is looking out for it.

It is important to make sure that you are canceling Jacqui’s jump ins with aerial db1 close to the ground to cancel out the end lag and make all her jumps heavy plus on block (ji1 becomes ~+10, ji2 becomes ~+20

Her strike/throw mixup in this variation is quite strong, especially when combined with her stagger pressure.

She can end all her combos with db1 (or du~db1) to remain +6 in their face for more pressure. Her unbreakable damage is really strong for the above reason as she can choose not to launch the opponent at all and still get decent damage. In the corner she can end with du~db3 for more damage and remain +8 (enough to jail a s1).

du~db3 links on hit after 11, 22, f13, f12 and b32. It’s pretty gimicky but it can be also used on block to catch people stand blocking everything. She also technically gets a mixup off b32 (b324 or b32~du~db4) but I’m pretty sure with practice this could be reacted to. In the heat of the moment though it’s kinda ok. Important to note that the gap between db3 and the ex is huge at like 20ish frames, and Jacqui is considered grounded during this time. This means it is always a punish and so the move should never be enhanced on block.

Jacqui can combo using du~db1(ex) from the same prior strings (11, f31, f12, b32, 22) but not 112 (early cancelled or otherwise).

Combo wise I’ve been using:

Midscreen
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~db1
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~db1

starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f22, f314grab
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f22, f314grab

starter~du~db1(ex), njk, b22~bf2(KB)
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~db1(ex), njk, b22~bf2(KB)

Corner
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db3
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db3

starter~du~db1(ex), njk, f4~df1, d1, 112~bf2
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db1(ex), njk, f4~df1, d1, 112~bf2

These are definitely not optimised but they’re what I’ve been using.

Overall I think this variation is very fun to use, quite strong and will definitely see competitive play.
I’m interested to see what other people think.

Last edited:

cashthesehands

monster masher
The bounce and air blast are great additions to her already strong block pressure kit.

Just want to toss in the max damage ender I've found so far:
starter~du~db1(ex), njk dash f314 grab.

starter~du~db1(ex) nj2 f22, f22, f314 grab was my backup, to avoid dealing with the dash after kick. I didn't realize you could get a third f22 in there. I will give that a shot.

another neat gimmick is spacing out her bionic bounces so you can land a max range cross up kick (for neutral du, it's about a jump away), into a b2,2 bf2, f314 grab, or bf2 depending on where it hits.

i need to start relying on f1,2 more as well, thanks for making that point.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
After some labbing, one thing I noticed playing against this variation is that AA'ing the hellboy jump causes backwards and forwards inputs to get all scrambled up if you cross over with the jump. Makes for a more difficult AA against it.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
The bounce and air blast are great additions to her already strong block pressure kit.

Just want to toss in the max damage ender I've found so far:
starter~du~db1(ex), njk dash f314 grab.

starter~du~db1(ex) nj2 f22, f22, f314 grab was my backup, to avoid dealing with the dash after kick. I didn't realize you could get a third f22 in there. I will give that a shot.

another neat gimmick is spacing out her bionic bounces so you can land a max range cross up kick (for neutral du, it's about a jump away), into a b2,2 bf2, f314 grab, or bf2 depending on where it hits.

i need to start relying on f1,2 more as well, thanks for making that point.
Are you sure you’ve got the combo right?

f12~du~db1(ex), njk, f314grab does 312.81

f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f314grab does 317.97

f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f22, f314grab does 328.24

cashthesehands

monster masher
Are you sure you’ve got the combo right?

f12~du~db1(ex), njk, f314grab does 312.81

f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f314grab does 317.97

f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f22, f314grab does 328.24
i was testing with f31 starter, and was capping out at about 290. all the more reason to switch to the 11f.

cashthesehands

monster masher
f12~du~db1(ex), njk, f314grab does 312.81 | 293.81 (f31)

f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f314grab does 317.97 | 298.92 (f31)

f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f22, f314grab does 328.24 | 309.24 (f31)

Ok just retested with f31 starter and getting the same behavior as you(added above if anyone's curious). I think I may have only been doing a single f22 :confused:.

Also, for side switching with bounce cancels, i've found inputting the far bounce, with the inputs all entered facing the same direction to be the most reliable (rather than waiting for her to cross over and inputting the reversed db1). So: starter ~ duf~db1

E

Eldriken

God damn. Maybe I should learn Jacqui just for this variation. Sounds fun af. Is it high execution?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This variation is hella fun to play, wow. And imo the far bounce may be incredibly useful vs. characters with slower projectiles. I already want to try this out against Shang, etc. Maybe Cetrion?

I'm sure that characters like Cetrion and Skarlet still have some AA/faster options that will beat it, but if they're doing those instead of sticking to their normal zoning pattern against Jacqui then you've already introduced a new mindgame to get in, and that's an advantage for her in those MU's.

Also in those midscreen late-game/low-health situations where characters who recover quickly can throw zoning out for chip without fear of being punished by dash punch, now they might have to think twice, which can give you a bit some space to get in. That's pretty useful.

Last edited:

cashthesehands

monster masher
How real is her jump cancellation on block strings?
@Pan1cMode went into this in the original post:

du~db1 jails on block after f31, b32, 22 and 11. Although there’s a gap between f12~du~db1, it is not large enough to poke or reversal out.

She can be anti-aired inbetween loops of f12~du~db1~nj(k/p) but this can be beat out by double db1, not doing db1, or varying the timing of the first db1; it becomes a guessing game to anti air and is quite challenging.

Upon a blocked string cancelled into du, you can do dub and get a further jump in for more block pressure. This however can be anti-aired if the opponent is looking out for it.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
This variation is hella fun to play, wow. And imo the far bounce may be incredibly useful vs. characters with slower projectiles. I already want to try this out against Shang, etc. Maybe Cetrion?

I'm sure that characters like Cetrion and Skarlet still have some AA/faster options that will beat it, but if they're doing those instead of sticking to their normal zoning pattern against Jacqui then you've already introduced a new mindgame to get in, and that's an advantage for her in those MU's.

Also in those midscreen late-game/low-health situations where characters who recover quickly can throw zoning out for chip without fear of being punished by dash punch, now they might have to think twice, which can give you a bit some space to get in. That's pretty useful.
Against cetrion walking forward and bf2/b22 is a better approach than duf. Her aerial laser and rock toss catches most jump ins or flying forward. She doesn’t have to vary her zoning pattern too much because most things catch Jacqui out if the air. Same goes for Jade. Her aerial control makes approaching via the skies quite risky

It’s definitely really useful against skarlet however whose grounded zoning game is much stronger than her aerial one.

So far the hardest matchup I’ve found is Jade. She just keeps her out so well. Even then, when she’s in Jade has to deal with her staggers like anyone else and the risk/reward is heavily skewed in Jacqui’s favour.

This variation feels like 1st round KO, with better corner damage but no grab ender. I feel it is at least as good as it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Against cetrion walking forward and bf2/b22 is a better approach than duf. Her aerial laser and rock toss catches most jump ins or flying forward. She doesn’t have to vary her zoning pattern too much because most things catch Jacqui out if the air. Same goes for Jade. Her aerial control makes approaching via the skies quite risky

It’s definitely really useful against skarlet however whose grounded zoning game is much stronger than her aerial one.

So far the hardest matchup I’ve found is Jade. She just keeps her out so well. Even then, when she’s in Jade has to deal with her staggers like anyone else and the risk/reward is heavily skewed in Jacqui’s favour.

This variation feels like 1st round KO, with better corner damage but no grab ender. I feel it is at least as good as it.
I'm thinking about this mostly for when you're out of range of bf2. B22 also loses to a lot of projectiles that outrange it.

If she throws low rock, you can jump it, so I don't see why you shouldn't also be able to far bounce over it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I'm labbing it now -- the bounce will let you full combo her from multiple ranges for tossing the rock bounce. This is a game-changer.

If she knows she might eat 30% on a read, she'll have to change the gameplan, and that will allow you to move in more easily and use your other tools.

Some observations:
  • It's so fast and high that you can actually also jump fully over the rock before she even throws it if timed correctly. I think we should check this out before we dismiss it completely against Cetrion.
  • It also looks like it she tries to rock into another rock, a reversal bounce is fast enough to beat it. Going to check and see if it jumps low air laser.
Testing some more stuff -- can't bounce out of Jax's Amp Ground Pound or Shang's Amp Corpse Drop. That would have been nice.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Found something else -- this is kinda funny and I don't know how practical it is, but if you Bionic Bounce from neutral with correct timing when Shang shoots Amp Skull or Sonya throws Amp Rings, the down input will neutral duck the first skull and the bounce will jump out before the second for a punish.

It's a small/tight window, but I could see one of the execution monsters like Sonic or Ninja pulling that out to swag on someone.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
f12~du~db1(ex), njk, f314grab does 312.81 | 293.81 (f31)

f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f314grab does 317.97 | 298.92 (f31)

f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f22, f314grab does 328.24 | 309.24 (f31)
If your combo is going to carry them to the corner, you can also do nj2, f22, f12, f314grab for 33%.

The grab will connect when they're up against the wall.

xKMMx

Banned
How fast are y’all input
This post is gonna be a write up of all I’ve found playing this variation for the past two days.

Jacqui’s third variation, Upgraded is equipped with:
  • Bionic Bounce
  • Enhanced Air Blast
  • (Air) Ground Pound
This gives her new combo routes and interesting pressure options.

In this variation, f12 becomes her main pressure string. This is because it stagers very well, is completely safe on block, can be easily hit confirmed and hits mid. You can still use f3, but it doesn’t stagger as well as f1 (and it leads to less damage on hit). b324 and b34 also become much more useful in this variation as she can safely use b32 and get a full combo on hit or fly away on block. This opens up the plus frames of b34 to add into your pressure.

It is important to make sure that you are canceling Jacqui’s jump ins with aerial db1 close to the ground to cancel out the end lag and make all her jumps heavy plus on block (ji1 becomes ~+10, ji2 becomes ~+20

Her strike/throw mixup in this variation is quite strong, especially when combined with her stagger pressure.

She can end all her combos with db1 (or du~db1) to remain +6 in their face for more pressure. Her unbreakable damage is really strong for the above reason as she can choose not to launch the opponent at all and still get decent damage. In the corner she can end with du~db3 for more damage and remain +8 (enough to jail a s1).

du~db3 links on hit after 11, 22, f13, f12 and b32. It’s pretty gimicky but it can be also used on block to catch people stand blocking everything. She also technically gets a mixup off b32 (b324 or b32~du~db4) but I’m pretty sure with practice this could be reacted to. In the heat of the moment though it’s kinda ok. Important to note that the gap between db3 and the ex is huge at like 20ish frames, and Jacqui is considered grounded during this time. This means it is always a punish and so the move should never be enhanced on block.

Jacqui can combo using du~db1(ex) from the same prior strings (11, f31, f12, b32, 22) but not 112 (early cancelled or otherwise).

Combo wise I’ve been using:

Midscreen
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~db1
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~db1

starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f22, f314grab
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f22, f22, f22, f314grab

starter~du~db1(ex), njk, b22~bf2(KB)
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~db1(ex), njk, b22~bf2(KB)

Corner
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db3
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db3

starter~du~db1(ex), njk, f4~df1, d1, 112~bf2
starter~du~db1(ex), nj2, f12~du~db1(ex), njk, f4~df1, d1, 112~bf2

These are definitely not optimised but they’re what I’ve been using.

Overall I think this variation is very fun to use, quite strong and will definitely see competitive play.
I’m interested to see what other people think.
awesome shit man. Can you post a video of some of these or maybe just tell me why I can’t seem to connect anything after the MBdu1. Every time I get the MBdi1 and go into the next thing like F314grab the grab hits but it’s not combining.
Here’s what I can hit so far....
Starter-dudb1(mb)-njp. After that I go into f134grab and connect but it’s not being counted as one full combo.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
How fast are y’all input

awesome shit man. Can you post a video of some of these or maybe just tell me why I can’t seem to connect anything after the MBdu1. Every time I get the MBdi1 and go into the next thing like F314grab the grab hits but it’s not combining.
Starter-dudb1(mb)-njp. After that I go into f134grab and connect but it’s not being counted as one full combo.
You might be delaying the njp too much. Or delaying the f314. It works like a normal jump-in, meaning that if you're too late on the followup it breaks the combo.

The amp air blast should be just after she leaves the ground, and then she won't be that high when the air normal comes out.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
du~db3 links on hit after 11, 22, f13, f12 and b32. It’s pretty gimicky but it can be also used on block to catch people stand blocking everything. She also technically gets a mixup off b32 (b324 or b32~du~db4) but I’m pretty sure with practice this could be reacted to. In the heat of the moment though it’s kinda ok.
So even though Ground Pound is technically unsafe, I think a potential occasional use as a conditioning tool is the following:

When you jump in, you can Blue Beetle-style cancel the ji2 into another overhead jip or jik. Then you can just ji2 into b32 when they're respecting it. If they're blocking low after the jump-in and reacting to the amplify animation to block high, then you could cancel ji2 into the Ground Pound for a low (unsafe). Or just jump-in and Ground Pound for the low when they stand up to block the initial jump-in.

Here's a video showing those options:

• jip-Amp Air Blast-jip (Overhead to Overhead)
  • jip b32 (Overhead to Low)
  • jump-in Ground Pound (Aerial Low)
  • jip-Amp Air Blast-Ground Pound (Overhead to Aerial Low)
Given that she can do all this off of Bionic Bounce from nearly any range, that's a lot of guessing for the opponent to do quickly, even if the GP is unsafe. So it's something you can mix in now and then after you condition them.

You can also do jip Amp Air Blast jip b32 for overhead, overhead, low. Or In the corner this will also work:

It all happens pretty quickly and it's a lot for the opponent to keep up with.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Imo when you put all this together it makes Jacqui's 3rd variation extremely dangerous. If they are anti-airing Bionic Bounce you can catch them with an cancelled air blast, which not only stuffs anti-airs (including down2), but it leads to full combo. And even if they're blocking the jump-in mixup correctly, you can then start going into throws and staggers.

Once someone puts all of these tools into effect this may become one of the stronger variations in the entire game.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
How fast are y’all input

Last edited: