What's new

UPDATE: SRK no longer shutting down, instead migrating to Discourse

STORMS

Owner / Director
Administrator
I never thought I'd see this, but times have definitely changed.

Shoryuken.com launched back in 2000 with the title “Your competitive edge.” Back then, it was pretty tough to get accurate information about mysterious fighting techniques like the “kara cancel.” The goal of this site was to allow hard-core fighting game players to connect, both to share strategies and meet up IRL to play.

Nearly 20 years later, the way we as fighting game fans consume information has exploded. We’re lucky to have a wealth of content out there now, from YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, reddit, and more. In a world of highly-connected players, the need for a centralized info hub is greatly diminished. So, it’s time to say goodbye to the SRK forums.

It’s been an epic ride, and I’m glad that we were able to provide a discussion venue for all aspects of the FGC, from tournament strategies, player meetups, stick-building resources, etc. Thanks to everyone out there who spent time on the site.
Don't panic too much though, the Front Page will continue. I guess you could say it will continue similar to how EventHubs is.

Read the rest here: http://shoryuken.com/2018/01/08/srk-forums-to-close-at-the-end-of-january-2018/

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Premium Supporter
They are also currently working on a way to Archive the forums to just Read only as well. There is talk on the Forum from ParadiseArcade and JasensCustoms on keeping the Tech area and Items for sale alive. @STORMS

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
WOW HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA! My good friend, Karma, you always are on JBeezY's side. This is very "interesting" news :DOGE

STORMS

Owner / Director
Administrator
Storm is posting this as a warning.
Honestly, kinda.

Sad but true. TYM isn't cheap to run (I'm sure SRK isn't cheap to run either). Why bother coming here when there's apps like Discord, right? Have you seen some of the Injustice 2 character forums?

But "TestYourMight.com" is a dedicated destination for all things NetherRealm, Discord is not, nor anywhere else. That's the difference. The question is, how do we compete?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Honestly, kinda.

Sad but true. TYM isn't cheap to run (I'm sure SRK isn't cheap to run either). Why bother coming here when there's apps like Discord, right? Have you seen some of the Injustice 2 character forums?

But "TestYourMight.com" is a dedicated destination for all things NetherRealm, Discord is not, nor anywhere else. That's the difference. The question is, how do we compete?
I personally never heard of discord until last year. From my understanding its an app, chat thing dedicated to talking about a specific topic or character for either information. TYM already has that, BUT what can this site do to improve to keep people's attention. That's the question. I think a start would be to update the site. I LOOOOOOVE this site and really want to see it grow and stay afloat. The most requested thing ive seen ppl ask for is to have new character icons, especially for the new DLC that don't even have one.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Honestly, kinda.

Sadly I think the responsibility is on us as the players to contribute more and get more involved on the site. That’s something that I have struggled with, because I’m not really a tech creator or anything, so at times I don’t feel like I have much to add.

But I know I could do more, and I love testyourmight. Without this site I literally wouldn’t be the fg player that I am. That’s something that I struggle with when transitioning to other games, there simply aren’t any other sites that host the tech and help for fighting games like tym.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Premium Supporter
I really don't understand discord and I tried it and prefer to stick to Forums. I'm really sad to see SRK go. There soooooooo much history in that forum.

I don't post much but been on this site since '11. I've seen many posters come and go but I always come back here.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I really don't understand discord and I tried it and prefer to stick to Forums. I'm really sad to see SRK go. There soooooooo much history in that forum.

I don't post much but been on this site since '11. I've seen many posters come and go but I always come back here.
This forum has something that SRK dont have. And thats Love/Friendliness/Heart I tried that forum and OH MY SWEET GURKENS was i treated like utter dog shit. I tried to introduce myself and got highly disrespected. I mean, i realized intro threads are not welcomed, I noticed that after the fact, i even apologized up n down, but daaaaaaaaamn as a newbie on any site, nobody deserves to be bashed by making an honest mistake. So i never went back because why would i be in an environment that's not welcoming, disrespectful, and mean?

Uncle JBeezY says be where you are celebrated, NOT tolerated. Which is why I love it here, because you guys accepted me with open arms and open legs....*COUGH* @New York Pizza *COUGH* AHEM damn sinnuses.

BUT ANYWAYS I do not want this site to succumb to the same fate. Anything I can do to contribute to better this site, I will do my damn part! As we all should! Now thats Righteous!

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Premium Supporter
Honestly, kinda.

The key difference is that with a forum we are able to archive threads and information, unlike discord/facebook/twitter.

10 years from now I'll still be able to go back and find Tom Brady's MKDA Tier List lol

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I think the SRK post explains it well. Times and technology have changed the way we as a culture communicate. With the popularity of social media and the ease of interaction through so many methods, having one central hub isn't as novel.

Quality content creators do so more through individual mediums than making guides, threads, posts, etc. It doesn't help that the character forums require a level of management and expertise that isn't realistic to maintain in order to highlight or differentiate quality work. It pains me to see the shift but I can't say that I'm altogether surprised.

Skedar70

Noob
I like TYM and I think the growth of the NRS scene owes a lot to TYM. If it wasn't for TYM promoting learning the game and tournaments the NRS community probably wouldn't be as big as it is today. It would probably be like some of the smaller communities (blaz blue, soul calibur, skull girls etc).

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
News Editor
I like TYM and I think the growth of the NRS scene owes a lot to TYM. If it wasn't for TYM promoting learning the game and tournaments the NRS community probably wouldn't be as big as it is today. It would probably be like some of the smaller communities (blaz blue, soul calibur, skull girls etc).
No to mention, this is the best place to let NRS know when something is bugged in a game. What, I'm going to send NRS Tech Support an email when Black Canary doesn't get a bar when she lands the first hit? Fuck no, I'm just going to go to TYM, make a thread and tag colt or 16 bit