What's new

unpopular opinion? as MK gets more violent, people will take the franchise less seriously.

MK has always been on the side of ridiculous compared to other fighters but I we might be coming to an impasse. They are going to limit the exposure and wider appeal the more violent the series becomes.

one would think if there weren't so much guts and brains and swearing it would be on the main stage evo and be broadcast on a lot more media channels. I still love the game but hope they dial it back some so it doesnt become more of a caricature of itself.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Mortal Kombat X was one of the best-selling games of 2015, so I don't think lack of appeal is an issue. Besides. it's not like people don't know what they're getting into when they pop in a Mortal Kombat disc. The game's known for its gore, something that the developers and fans have embraced, so 'toning it down' for the sake of broader appeal would only alienate the long-term fans while trying to appease people who were likely never interested in the franchise anyway.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Deadpool made a shitton more money at the box office than a lot of superhero blockbusters that had much bigger budgets and were rated PG-13. Why? Because people appreciate integrity and originality. Should Deadpool also dial back on the violence so they can get 5th graders to come watch it? No, that's not how it works.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
If esports means that MK has to tone down its most iconic feature, then fuck esports. At the end of the day I just want there to be a community that wants to play the game competitively, idc about it being on ESPN.

But I suspect the violence was part of the reason it's not on Sunday at Evo,but that ship has sailed. MK is and always was a shockingly violent game

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
hope NRS to never bend over before this .... the great differential MK always had it's the over the top violence that we cannot never take seriously, but only admire the creative imaginative way the developers have to make each MK game better than the previous one

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I agree. 11 will be their best selling game no doubt. maybe I'm just getting old. I wouldn't really mind if they got rid of the swearing and went back to some classic fatalities which just seem to be the brutalities now.
Fair enough, and I can see where you're coming from (I personally can't wait to see this D'vorah fatality they keep hyping up), but take it from somebody who's seen some of his favorite franchises go right down the crapper for the sake of broader appeal, it's a mission that rarely ever pays off in the long run.

listen here CUCK

MK is 2 things: big tits and gore

bad enough they take my titties away, but you ain't takin' my gore
this might be why most people will only play it a few months and move on and why nrs has this two year game cycle. I'll be chopping heads off with baraka all day long but that's not the mainreason why I play mk

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
Street Fighter, DBFZ, and Tekken are perfect for ESPN, let them have those. MK doesn't have to conform to those standards just because. Everyone knows what they're getting into with these games.

I don't see why we have to make this franchise blander because some jackass executive wants to make a buck off of it. As long as they don't go too crazy (overt penetration or shock humor) they'll be fine.

Fair enough, and I can see where you're coming from (I personally can't wait to see this D'vorah fatality they keep hyping up), but take it from somebody who's seen some of his favorite franchises go right down the crapper for the sake of broader appeal, it's a mission that rarely ever pays off in the long run.
I hear ya. seems NRS likes the 2 year game cycle and these game sell like crazy so it is what it is.

MK has always been on the side of ridiculous compared to other fighters but I we might be coming to an impasse. They are going to limit the exposure and wider appeal the more violent the series becomes.

one would think if there weren't so much guts and brains and swearing it would be on the main stage evo and be broadcast on a lot more media channels. I still love the game but hope they dial it back some so it doesnt become more of a caricature of itself.
yeah lets get back to the days when mk was not a caricarture of itself. i miss the times of people exploding into 3 chests and 5 skulls after being bombed by a penguin egg.

Was never a fan of fatalities either but been playing since mk9 anyway. I'm not sure how much it affects esports if at all. Could be an interesting thing to look at

yeah lets get back to the days when mk was not a caricarture of itself. i miss the times of people exploding into 3 chests and 5 skulls after being bombed by a penguin egg.
that was like 20 years ago lol. I'm talking about the amount and detail of the gore now. how much is too much? mk12 has to up the gore again so what will that look like. cassie is going to rip someone's ball sack off and shove it in their mouth. no thanks

Armac

Noob
As long as the games keep selling so well it doesn't really matter who takes them seriously. I like to think NRS know their audience, and wouldn't want to rock the boat by stripping away the series' identity just to make it more esports-friendly. I personally couldn't care less if it had any Evo presence at all.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I do miss how seamless No Blood Mode in MK9 made everything. But that's strictly from a competitive standpoint.
Mortal Kombat without wanton violence wouldn't make any sense.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I just watched some Tekken 7, I have hated Tekken all my life, but no, just no, it still sucks so bad, those characters are all jokes.

My vague point being, MK becomes better and better, and the competition destroys itself.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
he has a point... esl publicly stated that it was nearly impossible to get sponsors for the MKx events as no one wanted to put their adds on MKx and its gore. There is 100% truth that the gore will hurt the eSports angle. In fact I suspect that it is partly responsible for EVO not putting MK on the main event as they are pushing for espn and stuff. I mean they banned sfv costumes for being to sexy for that reason as well, right.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
listen here CUCK

MK is 2 things: big tits and gore

bad enough they take my titties away, but you ain't takin' my gore
This^ 100%

Mortal Kombat has always been the exception. Part of the appeal was the Gore be another plus was the sexy females. For whatever reason they are covering up the females head to toe which I'm fine with as long as there are options (additional sexy costumes that at least show legs and stomach).
But it's perfectly fine to have guys be ripped with muscles and shirtless with cocks on display.

I do think the female characters look absolutely stunning and can be appealing in this display of scaled down sexuality but I want the option to uncover them at least a little bit. Like MKX Kitana/Mileena.

No matter what you say or display someone somewhere will be offended, but that's not a reason to take away freedom of expression, speech or individuality.