What's new

Video/Tutorial - Predator Universal Anti-Wakeup Tech

What's up everyone, I've found a little tech with Predator that's meant to condition your opponent to do something other than wakeup attack your approach after knockdown. Although it technically is a setup it's more of a conditioning tool. There are ways to get out of this setup which I'll explain.

Shout outs to @WayoftheFist for helping me with testing. Let me know what your opinions are.

This, like I said, is a conditioning tool used to blow up your opponent if they decide to instantly wakeup after a knockdown or start pressure if they get up blocking. There are two ways out of this which opens the mind game of "is Predator going to approach or wait?"

1st: any character can tech roll after the knockdown, so if Predator goes for the follow up most characters can armor through it after the roll.

2nd: any character can delay their stand up. If Predator is caught going for the follow up most characters can punish him on whiff with either a downpoke, throw, or sometimes a full combo.

So those are what's keeping this nothing more than a conditioning tool rather than a setup that can be done any time the opponent hits the ground. There are some characters (I've tested almost every character and their wake up) that don't work on.

Feel free to test everyone to see what MUs it's useful. Basically if their wake-up has multiple hits of armor or low if it low profiles the disk, like Reptile, you can't stuff it with this setup. Then have to look at of that move is punishable whetheron block or can be jumped and whiff punished.

Kobu Tanya: Her ex TS has two hits of armor and she can end it at -4 on block. So this is completely useless against her.

Any Reptile: His ex Slide is of course armored and fast but it low profiles Predator's SD fast enough the two hits necessary for this setup doesn't connect. Of course it's punishable on block so it's a guessing game of who will do what.

Here I have a couple videos showing what it looks like. I do it on Buzzsaw Lao just because I've been asked if it works on his exSpin since it advances forward.

I apologize for the poor quality and lack of vocal explaination. I don't normally do videos so I don't have all the nice equipment for capturing and during my audio check I could barely hear myself.

Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Yeah you can do this off of various strings, my personal favorite is 32. Really useful in hunter because once they respect it you can set up a trap and then run in behind the disc.

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
does it work on delayed wake ups, I would think you can just wait out the disk and get up after

Etoroguy

Why isn't Jax's Farm a playable stage?
Are you sure this works on lackey ferra/torr's EX charge and goro's ex punch walk?

navaroNe

Nobody's afraid of Bruce Wayne
the second video wouldn't be universal where it has the laser blast really but i guess you can just insert a different string there, any idea what the best replacement string would be for hunter there? really liked the vid though, thanks for posting

the second video wouldn't be universal where it has the laser blast really but i guess you can just insert a different string there, any idea what the best replacement string would be for hunter there? really liked the vid though, thanks for posting
Starter, exSS, NJP, 32, SD

F12U2, NJP, 32, SD