What's new

Understanding Run Mechanic

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
With MKX still being fresh, and people learning their characters and how to play the game properly, I wanted to focus on the run mechanic. I would like to discuss uses for run, run cancelling, when to run etc so everyone can have a better understanding.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
Running appears to have 3 uses.
The first one being rush downs.
I've seen people use the run mechanic simply to overwhelm and rush down their opponents giving them almost no breathing space, this seems to work greatly with characters that have good low/overhead 50/50's like Erron Black.

The second being combo extenders for characters like Jacqui and Cassie who seem to heavily rely on running to extend.

And the third use I see for it is baiting people into reacting on your run while you simply cancel it, basically faking a rush resulting in a bait for you to make room to counter.

That's my 2 cents, I can't think of any more uses.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I'm going on the record of saying the run mechanic combined with the stamina meter is brilliant.

There's no dashing blocking/cancelling in MKX, but after some adapting I'm falling in love with run cancelling. I know as far as Scorpion goes, you had better watch out this time. D4 on hit > run cancel pressure is godlike. Some run cancel combos can be tricky, but some are quite easy to learn if you have an ounce of determination.

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
After being greedy as hell and ending my combo with damage instead of a setup, I use run to haul ass back on top of my opponent. :)