What's new

Understanding Green Arrow Jumping Normals and Jump Ins

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
There isn't much of a knowledge database here so I'd like to contribute with something.

It seems a lot of people don't understand how jump ins work, so I'm gonna try to do my best to explain them the way I understand them. If you guys wanna contribute or correct me go ahead.

So GA has j1, j2 and j3 (duhr).

J1
  • 6 frames start up.
  • Great range.
  • GA's best anti air IMO. If you see someone jumping at you, just jump and j1 and you'll probably win the trade, plus you get a 111 xx load arrow, or if you have a frozen arrow a full (ha) combo.
  • Extremely useful, criminally underused.
  • If you hit an enemy in the air with J1, their hitbox will float a bit in a 45º angle.
  • Wonky hitbox when jumping in on crouching enemies (try Batman, uuugh).
J2
  • 11 frame start up.
  • Godawful range. The hitbox on this one is really wonky. It criminally misses some characters unless you hit them in the goddamn face. Worse than J1. Not very good for jump ins.
  • Useful for combos. J3 -> J2.
  • If you hit an enemy in the air with J2, their hitbox will float a bit in a 70~80º angle. This is useful in certain background interactable combo situations, where using J2 instead of J3 allows you to land a 223 instead of the 111, because enemies will fall slower.
  • Not good at all for air to air situations.
  • Crosses up.
  • You can use J2 to cross up for the frozen arrow reset.
J3
  • 10 frame start up.
  • Huge ass range.
  • Most damage.
  • Great get in tool if landed correctly.
  • If you hit an enemy in the air with J3, their hitbox will fall faster.
  • Not very good for air to air trade situations. It depends on the distance between you and the opponent.
  • Crosses up.
Jump ins:

J1 and J2 have different properties than J3 when you land. J1 and J2 are in theory unsafe, so if you don't do a string afterwards you're sitting duck. Now if you land the J1 or J2, even on block, you can "cancel" them into a string. If you wait for the J1/J2 to hit and then you do the string, it'll come at late as fuck, and you'll get punished. So as soon as you see that J1/J2 hit or get blocked, IMMEDIATELY do your next string. The thing is, you can still get punished. I think you get around +10 of cancel advantage after a blocked J1 if you hit them at the highest point in their hitbox (I tried it on Lex, J1 -> F2 and Corp Charge traded).

J3, on the other side, cannot be cancelled neither on block or hit. Do this in training mode, set the dummy to jump and J1, J2 and J3 him. As soon as J1 and J2 hit in the air, do the string, even if you haven't landed. The complete string will come out. Now do it with J3. Bam, only the first input will come out.

The frame advantage you get from your jump ins varies depending on how high your move hit. The higher, the less frame advantage you get. If you fuck up your J3 and you land it to high, go for d1 xx Savage Blast. Or throw, but the throw is not always guaranteed.

Please note that the whole canceling after J1/J2 except J3 and frame advantage based on height is not exclusive to GA. All characters work like that.

How to land J3 -> J2:

For starters, you cannot land this if your opponent has been hit with a J3 combo starter, since they'll fall too fast.

After you land the J3, you need to hold up forward. As soon as they're falling from the highest point of the bounce, as in as late in the fall arc as possible, hit the J3 but keep holding up forward, and immediately do J2 to 111. It requires practice, but after you grasp when you have to hit the J3 you'll land it most of the time.

It's easier to land it on big characters, like Lex, Grundy, Bane and Doomsday, so you may want to practice with those first, but the theory is the same for everyone. Just wait at the last moment to land that J3, hold up forward and quickly do J2.

So yeah that was it I think, again, if you guys wanna contribute or correct or something please go ahead. But I hope this helps you guys understand GA air game and jump ins little bit moar.

Last edited:

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Great stuff! I want to add that j2 seems to be way easier to cross up with on a frozen opponents (Useful if you do want to go for reset)

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Great stuff! I want to add that j2 seems to be way easier to cross up with on a frozen opponents (Useful if you do want to go for reset)
It is. You just need to hit J2 just before you land and do the 111 xx db mb cancel immediately. I've been doing it all the time, it's great. The only problem is, it's hard to land against some characters because shitty hitboxes, so I just go for the easier to land J3 into 22 xx db mb.

SimSim

It is. You just need to hit J2 just before you land and do the 111 xx db mb cancel immediately. I've been doing it all the time, it's great. The only problem is, it's hard to land against some characters because shitty hitboxes, so I just go for the easier to land J3 into 22 xx db mb.
I found that cross up 3 in to 22 xx d4(or standing 4, can't remember), wait 0.1 sec, cross up 2 works against most characters. (Need to take a small step back on the 0.1 sec against smaller chars)

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
I found that cross up 3 in to 22 xx d4(or standing 4, can't remember), wait 0.1 sec, cross up 2 works against most characters. (Need to take a small step back on the 0.1 sec against smaller chars)

That is absolutely great. It works awesome :D

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Then you might also like:
-b3, dash, sky alert, d2 xx load ice arrow, 22 xx 4(or d4), f2, cross up j2
-j3, 11 xx db MB, j3, 1 xx 4 (ice), f2, cross up j2
Second one is great. First one is like hella unrealiable lol.

What about: j2 -> 111 xx db mb -> j3 -> j2 -> d1(leaves you at a great distance for the ambiguous cross up for a reason) xx d4 (frozen arrow) -> f2 -> j3 reset.

SimSim

Second one is great. First one is like hella unrealiable lol.

What about: j2 -> 111 xx db mb -> j3 -> j2 -> d1(leaves you at a great distance for the ambiguous cross up for a reason) xx d4 (frozen arrow) -> f2 -> j3 reset.
What is unreliable with the first combo? If you mean the part before the reset, it's just practice. I do i almost every time and I don't practice that much. If you mean the reset part itself, I have to look in to character specifics because I was doing it every time against the characters I tested on.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
J2 gives a ton of advantage on hit to go for crossups and block strings. Also like mentioned you can cancel j2 into a string. I think strings like 223 can't be interrupted after a j2.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Cossner if you challenge in the air ga j1 with other characters j1 does he have priority or does he loose against certain characters?Batman seems to have priority or I might be wrong.I use j1 to challenge certain characters to keep them on the floor but seem to get beat sometimes by bats.I might be wrong tho but happened once to many times.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Cossner if you challenge in the air ga j1 with other characters j1 does he have priority or does he loose against certain characters?Batman seems to have priority or I might be wrong.I use j1 to challenge certain characters to keep them on the floor but seem to get beat sometimes by bats.I might be wrong tho but happened once to many times.
There's no such thing as priority, it's just that it comes out very fast lol

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I find that you can't "reaction" Jump1 to Air to Air with Batman because of how good batmans Jump 2 is, and the speed of his jump.

They only time I win Air to Airs with Batman is on a guess that he will jump and I J1 before he has done it.

Characters like Joker, you can reaction jump to beat them, be it a forward jump or a back jump.

Jump 1 is awesome in the air for the most part, if you know they will be close to you,

Ya batmans j2 is to good.Jokers j1 gets beat by ga j3 if I jump back cause of a bigger range.I stopped challenging characters like green arrow,batman,and sometimes even lex also due to that axe range.Like cossner said ga jumpins do come out fast.quote="Jimmypotato, post: 1179316, member: 4929"]I find that you can't "reaction" Jump1 to Air to Air with Batman because of how good batmans Jump 2 is, and the speed of his jump.

They only time I win Air to Airs with Batman is on a guess that he will jump and I J1 before he has done it.

Characters like Joker, you can reaction jump to beat them, be it a forward jump or a back jump.

Jump 1 is awesome in the air for the most part, if you know they will be close to you,[/quote]

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
After hitting a standing arrow in the corner you can do either a NJ3 or a crossup 3. I was testing it vs GA (small hitbox) and both jumps cannot be crouched. You can cancel either one into dead on for extra damage. Can any confirm that you can block this without guessing? It seems kinda hard to react to when I set the dummy to do it.