What's new

Question - Cryomancer Understanding Cryomancer

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Dude didn't you just make a salty status update? Shouldn't cool down first before making a thread? My advice anyway lol. Anywho :p

Couldn't Pyro just preemptively throw a close air fireball so that he just slides into the fireball? Condition him to stop sliding or something?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
1. Tanya has F43 a safe 11f mid in all variation. It has a gap but F4 is only -7 and you can bait his armor with it
2. Hammer is safe against Pyro. But it's -10 so throw him. But I've never sees it have 2 hits of armor before. It might be some kind of glitch.
3. I think everything cancelled into hammer have a gap except F4 hammer. You may have problem with your input
4. Zone him. He has a lot of safe but no plus frame. Throw him. His fastest pokes is 9f. Pressure him.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
This is me trying to understand the character I'm having trouble beating. Whether I'm salty or not is on a different page. I'm eating mixups for days, I can only guess wrong for some reason and then I get combo'd into ex hammer into combo into ex hammer into combo into ex hammer into where the fuck did all my hp go.
I'm trying to see what I'm doing wrong, other than the russian roulette of "oh it's reactable".

No matter how many times I block and punish his slide, he slides. And then he does not slide if he sees me blocking low, he only slides when I'm not blocking low, otherwise it's hammer or ice ball depending on range.
Alright, fair enough.

I'll let the Tanya/Sub players handle this. I don't want to give wrong info.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I'm trying to see what I'm doing wrong, other than the russian roulette of "oh it's reactable".

No matter how many times I block and punish his slide, he slides. And then he does not slide if he sees me blocking low, he only slides when I'm not blocking low, otherwise it's hammer or ice ball depending on range.
It's not really reactable, your best bet is blocking low and fuzzying for B2. React to the hammers. He's going to be super hard to zone. I don't know how you zone this character I don't think it's possible lol.

Cryo is strong there is nothing bad about the character, he's not top tier however because hes largely outclassed. What does he do that Reptile doesn't do and more? He's got a real nice backdash, good jumping normals, but thats about it. His mid hitting uppercut with long range is pretty nice as well. That's no comparison to what Reptile gets over him.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
You can armor through the hammer. If they don't do an ex one. You can just poke them/ full combo punish them because the start up is so awfully slow. Since you're Tanya you should be play the keep away game and bait out an ex slide. Cryo hates that. Also try to avoid being in B2 range. That's where he gets his most damage. If he tries to clip your feet with F33xxHammer (or B33 idk I don't play sub) punish him for doing that weak ass reactable mix up.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
You can jump out of any string cancelled into hammer, save for f4 xx hammer. Some strings you can even interrupt. Safe bet is to jump over jip and punish this kind of habit.

Don't break his combos until he uses his meter first. He'll have to use his bar early to do optimal combos. Save your meter for breakers as he has some of the highest damage output for a single bar in the game.

Block high more often than not (don't try to fuzzy, the double low b33 beats that strategy). B2 is his best meterless starter. Unfortunately, b33 xx ice ball works on female characters so it's more of an issue for Tanya than say, Kung Lao.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Do you play kobo Tanya at all? She's probly a better match for cryo , subs pokes are slow and she has hella pressure

Lokheit

Noob
Sub-Zero is one of the best in the game in terms of movement with the dashes, the slide and good reaching fast aerials, this is often overlooked because he doesn't teleport (still better at it than some teleporters), doesn't have aerial stuff like Kitana or Tanya and GM players tend to bunker behind the clone so others don't realize how good the movement is, but Cryo makes this aspect of the character shine (out of neccessity).

You want to fight Cryo face to face, his game shines when he is at "start of the combat" distance or a step back from there. If he isn't working hard in keeping that distance outpoke him to death.

When he is half screen away it's very risky to zone him as he can slide under your projectiles and hit you. His EX Iceball eats projectiles like your EX Fireball (they destroy each other) so don't spam the regular one or he will omnomnom it for 30% midscreen.

Full screen it will be very easy for him to see your projectiles coming and slide under them but at least he won't hit you and if he was late you will recover from your animation first and will be able to throw him.

Your teleports will help outmaneuvering him (Tanya is one of the few characters better than him at movement) BUT don't get predictable teleport-spamming close to him or you will have Kori Sword Uppercut Salad. Instead use them to keep you safe in the air at the right distance and be unpredictable with your aerial fireballs so he won't know if he should slide to hit you on your way down fearing a late close fireball cancel (again, don't get predictable).

If you're not in the air, be sure to be right next to him and throw anything fast and safe you have (if he manages to punish you he changes the pace of the game, specually if you don't have meter) as he can't outpoke or outpressure you (even as Pyro).

As others said, use your breakers when he has used a bar. He needs those bars more than most characters so attacking his meter is almost as important as attacking his lifebar (and his meter building is extremely poor).

Hammer can be jumped over on block from most strings (the hitbox won't touch you until the animation is near the end so don't worry about physically touching it in the air) record the AI in practice mode and try it from different strings. His only safe Hammer cancel is F4 (all hail the F4).

If you can save some meter for wakeups in case he gets a combo. He gets a lot of momentum against meterless opponents after a combo.

So basically, try to get in, don't get predictable as he loves spamming of any kind (jumps, teleports, projectiles... he makes a living out of punishing stuff so don't make it easy) and outpressure him to death.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
At least OP is trying to figure cryo out. Because based on an insane buff thread made recently, some sub players don't know cryo either.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Sub-Zero is one of the best in the game in terms of movement with the dashes, the slide and good reaching fast aerials, this is often overlooked because he doesn't teleport (still better at it than some teleporters), doesn't have aerial stuff like Kitana or Tanya and GM players tend to bunker behind the clone so others don't realize how good the movement is, but Cryo makes this aspect of the character shine (out of neccessity).

You want to fight Cryo face to face, his game shines when he is at "start of the combat" distance or a step back from there. If he isn't working hard in keeping that distance outpoke him to death.

When he is half screen away it's very risky to zone him as he can slide under your projectiles and hit you. His EX Iceball eats projectiles like your EX Fireball (they destroy each other) so don't spam the regular one or he will omnomnom it for 30% midscreen.

Full screen it will be very easy for him to see your projectiles coming and slide under them but at least he won't hit you and if he was late you will recover from your animation first and will be able to throw him.

Your teleports will help outmaneuvering him (Tanya is one of the few characters better than him at movement) BUT don't get predictable teleport-spamming close to him or you will have Kori Sword Uppercut Salad. Instead use them to keep you safe in the air at the right distance and be unpredictable with your aerial fireballs so he won't know if he should slide to hit you on your way down fearing a late close fireball cancel (again, don't get predictable).

If you're not in the air, be sure to be right next to him and throw anything fast and safe you have (if he manages to punish you he changes the pace of the game, specually if you don't have meter) as he can't outpoke or outpressure you (even as Pyro).

As others said, use your breakers when he has used a bar. He needs those bars more than most characters so attacking his meter is almost as important as attacking his lifebar (and his meter building is extremely poor).

Hammer can be jumped over on block from most strings (the hitbox won't touch you until the animation is near the end so don't worry about physically touching it in the air) record the AI in practice mode and try it from different strings. His only safe Hammer cancel is F4 (all hail the F4).

If you can save some meter for wakeups in case he gets a combo. He gets a lot of momentum against meterless opponents after a combo.

So basically, try to get in, don't get predictable as he loves spamming of any kind (jumps, teleports, projectiles... he makes a living out of punishing stuff so don't make it easy) and outpressure him to death.
I like you man. Your Subby analyses are always on point.

Guys I main cryo and I always have so heres a cool tip, did you guys know the air hammer breaks armor AND it is a standing reset in corner?

Santa_Destroyer

Blood n' cigs' PSN: Santa_Destroyer
I like you man. Your Subby analyses are always on point.

I was thinking exaclty the same.