What's new

Underrated characters

Corrupted Shinnok

Final Boss
Which characters do you think should've been treated better in the series?

My first pick is Reiko. He served both Shinnok and Shao Kahn - the two big evils in MK - and he had that insane MK4 ending when he put on Shao Kahn's helmet. He could've betrayed one of them for the other or, even better, taken out both and emerged as a new top villain.

My second pick is Rain, Demi-God and Prince of Edenia. He tops his half-brothers Daegon and Taven in terms of appearance and personality and he could've received a better role in Armageddon. He was fine in MKX, but he wasn't playable and he didn't return in MK11.

Other characters that come to mind are Kia, Jataaka and Sareena (Shinnok's three assassins) and vampiress Nitara.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Reiko and Rain are two of my favourite characters of the franchise, alongside Jade, so would of course love to see those two back and get a good role in the GAME's story.

The reason I highlight game is because I think Reiko was absolutely awesome in the MKX comics. And Rain was teased with a whole new look and as an NPC fight in MKX, but was sadly just a jobber NPC. I was happy to see Tanya as DLC, but had hoped for the others as well, like Baraka, Sindel, Fujin and Sareena. Baraka and Jade are back in MK11 and NRS did an awesome job with them, imo! And rumour has it -
Sindel will be DLC for MK11, according to some datamined leaks
- so would love to see Rain and Reiko get that treatment as well.

However, I am fully aware they aren't all that popular. They kinda spiked a bit in popularity because of MKX and the comics, but before that they weren't considered more than joke characters, one being a Prince pun and the other a Shao Kahn wannabe. So I doubt they will return anytime soon.

Nitara was also a character I found interesting and with lots of potential, but share the same fate. And now with Skarlet in MK11 and her focus on blood magic, I can fully understand why they wouldn't want another blood-focused character.

Sareena could be awesome, but it kinda feels like they prefer her having NPC/cameo status as well.

Then there's Takeda... Is he underrated? I'm not entirely sure, because I see as many people hating him for being a "Kombat Kid" and what not, as people who think he's pretty awesome (me amongst them). I love his more modern ninja look and his whips are great! He was my main in MKX, and in my opinion, the coolest of all the newcomers from that game. But just like Sareena, he's been given NPC/cameo status, though oddly enough very prominently as he appears in a good handful of different ladder endings in MK11. But him not being playable was a surprise for me. Can only hope he will become DLC, and I think out of all of the characters I'd love to see return, Takeda is the only one who has a legit chance.

Takeda was one of the main characters in the MKX comics, he had a prominent role in there and is a really interesting character with an interesting background, got some good connections to other popular characters, like his two dads Kenshi and Scorpion, and he overall seemed well-received, though again, a lot of people kinda just toss him aside because he is a "Kombat Kid". Not to mention his MKX arcade ladder ending along Kenshi's lead to some interesting stuff as well that would be cool to see canon.

But ah well, it wasn't meant to be.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I like drahmin, and the Netherrealm demons in general like ashrah. Unless it’s Quan Chi, noob or scorpion then the Netherrealm representation is a zombie skin or generic demon. I want more demon characters.

The best way to make the 3d character better is to give them the Jacqui treatment.

Just give them a traditional fighting style with iconic moves, even Junkies like Dairou, Kobra, and Darrius can be dope ass mofos if the they're using for example Wing Chun, Taekwondo, or Capoera.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I would love to see Ashrah get a redesign. I mean, how many MK characters are there that have light as their main special power? Her backstory is also pretty good; basically a former demon that purified herself by slaying her species with an enchanted sword.
I think Cetrion got some of her characteristics; a zealot with determined to purge and purify evildoers. In saying that, Ashrah absolutely deserves another chance, more so than Frost did.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Ashrah was a fantastic character and would fit in well with the current story. She was a demon killing other demons with her Kriss to purify her soul in order to escape Netherrealm. Little did she know that it was doing the opposite. Pretty cool if you ask me. I think she is the #1 underrated character with so much potential. Lei Mei, Fujin and Shujinko had a lot of potential too and have been mistreated.

More recently, Ferra Torr was great character concept which they totally screwed up. You only got to find out anything about them in their ending. They really should give all new characters a chapter so you can see their back story (Erron should have too). This is a big cock up by NRS as they always introduce characters that are just another useless lackey. MK already has a bloated roster compared to other games, so I think we have enough of those already in the roster without adding more.

They gave Jade an awesome storyline in MK11 (for the first time ever) and I think they could do similar treatment to other characters.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I personally don't like any of the remaining 3D era characters that haven't been used yet.

I'd love another Black Dragon member, but if they chose someone like Jarek, they'd have to seriously reimagine him completely.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Havik
Ashrah
Fujin
Sareena
Maybe Nitara?

Aside from Kenshi (if he even counts) these are the only 3D era characters I even like. So I would have liked to have seen them potentially get an MK11 makeover.

Fujin been getting done dirty since MK4 and they still haven't put him in and even have that box on the black dragon fight pit stage that says fuck fujin in russian or whatever. The amount of hate NRS has for him is really weird and hilarious.

Oh yeah and of course more Rain is always good. But they hate him too I guess lmao