What's new

Tech Unbreakable Resets

Mr_rAXX

inFamous Member
Whenever i watch high level/tournament Cyrax play, I'm at a loss why i don't see more/any UNBREAKABLE resets, whether to close out rounds or deal some damage and still make them break. Personally, this tech has literally turned match-ups i felt were 5-5 to 6-4[i.e KL], 4-6 to 5-5[Sektor], 3-7 to 4-6[Kabal, though this might still be 3-7] etc.

To think his 3-bar unbreakable reset does over 60 percent damage and is generally not utilized is absolutely insane. So here's the breakdown:

1 bar - 2 xx net, ex-bomb, cb, net, back dash, [reverse]b2, saw. That does 35%. (btw, i take credit for this combo cos I've never seen it done before ;))

Though instead of ending with saw i almost always go for d2, 121 aat. The beauty of this is it puts your opponent in a really fucked up situation where they quickly have to make a tough decision whether to break the d2 or just take the damage. The d2 is also a cross up so like 90% of the time they'll be breaking in the wrong direction[unless they're expecting it], then they're back in the same boat with 121 xx aat or 33 xx net. If they opt not to break at all then this setup does a whooping 55% damage!

This is a great way of closing out rounds or dealing 30% damage(or more) and STILL making them break the follow up. One more net and the round is over.

2 bars - 2 xx net, jump back, ex-bomb, mb, ex-bomb, cb, net, [reverse]b2, saw - for about 49%.

Can't remember where i first saw this. Great way to close out rounds if you're sitting on two bars and your opponent is on about half-life.

3 bars - 2 xx net, ex-bomb, ex-bomb, fb, ex-saw, cb, net, back dash, [reverse]b2, saw - 61% damage, fully unbreakable. (saw this in one of TONY-T 's videos and quickly adopted!)

To put this in perspective, most characters can't even do 61% damage mid-screen!

Also remember you can always go for d2 after the reverse b2 instead of saw to maximize damage or make them break. It's also possible to use a second b2 instead of saw for max unbreakable damage + hard knockdown, but the spacing/timing is strict and not worth the extra 1% damage. You could also do - net, teleport, saw to build a little extra meter without any additional scaling on the saw.

For meterless unbreakable damage the best i can think of right now is b2, saw - mostly viable as a punish, or mixing up jip d4 command grab/12 with jip b2.

As Cyrax, being able to deal a lot of unbreakable damage is invaluable against characters like Kabal and Sektor that spend most of the round zoning/building meter and always seem to have enough to break.

Have fun!

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Yeah, most of these are known, it's just that people hardly ever use them. But in my opinion, it is better to use breaker traps:

1 bar : 2 net, dash back, EX Bomb, Mid Bomb, Uppercut...now if they break here they are caught by the bomb and you still get about 40 % taking their 2 bars....if they don't break you get almost 50%. They can break after uppercut and the bomb, but again they lose breaker and take over 30%. As far as I have seen Han uses this most of the time when opponent has meter to break.

Mr Bonana

Ua Ola I Ke Aloha
It's always nice have these combos in your pocket but as the op mentioned, they usually are situational or match up based. I don't remember seeing DJT using any unbreakable combos or breaker traps at EVO. Not sure what the reasoning was but maybe he knows something about the match ups that we don't or maybe he prefers his opponents to break.

Mr_rAXX

inFamous Member
Yeah, most of these are known, it's just that people hardly ever use them. But in my opinion, it is better to use breaker traps.
Breaker traps are also effective, but unbreakable combos lead to more damage.

It's always nice have these combos in your pocket but as the op mentioned, they usually are situational or match up based. I don't remember seeing DJT using any unbreakable combos or breaker traps at EVO. Not sure what the reasoning was but maybe he knows something about the match ups that we don't or maybe he prefers his opponents to break.
Yea, in many situations it's better to just let them break in the knowledge that one more net wins the round, especially if you have less than two bars.

But when I have full meter and my opponent has breaker I always go for the 1 bar setup.

Breaker traps are also effective, but unbreakable combos lead to more damage.

Yea, in many situations it's better to just let them break in the knowledge that one more net wins the round, especially if you have less than two bars.

But when I have full meter and my opponent has breaker I always go for the 1 bar setup.
I think you are right about the end of the round. You definitely want damage there regardless of opponents meter.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
I always prefer to do breaker traps in the hopes that I can take 2 bars away for the breaker, whether they actually break or not is dependent on the opponents philosophy of winning. Some characters that try to get an life lead on Cyrax then lame him out will break any chance they get, but others that can't lame him out will usually save the breaker for when it will cost them the round/game.

Fighting great opponents like GGA Dizzy and GGA 16 Bit has taught me that getting them to use meter is the first step of securing a win as Cyrax.

Of course, the totally unbreakable resets have there uses, as well (and should be practiced for when they are needed). However, the breaker traps are what makes him truly deadly in the right hands.

Whenever i watch high level/tournament Cyrax play, I'm at a loss why i don't see more/any UNBREAKABLE resets, whether to close out rounds or deal some damage and still make them break. Personally, this tech has literally turned match-ups i felt were 5-5 to 6-4[i.e KL], 4-6 to 5-5[Sektor], 3-7 to 4-6[Kabal, though this might still be 3-7] etc.

To think his 3-bar unbreakable reset does over 60 percent damage and is generally not utilized is absolutely insane. So here's the breakdown:

1 bar - 2 xx net, ex-bomb, cb, net, back dash, [reverse]b2, saw. That does 35%. (btw, i take credit for this combo cos I've never seen it done before ;))

Though instead of ending with saw i almost always go for d2, 121 aat. The beauty of this is it puts your opponent in a really fucked up situation where they quickly have to make a tough decision whether to break the d2 or just take the damage. The d2 is also a cross up so like 90% of the time they'll be breaking in the wrong direction[unless they're expecting it], then they're back in the same boat with 121 xx aat or 33 xx net. If they opt not to break at all then this setup does a whooping 55% damage!

This is a great way of closing out rounds or dealing 30% damage(or more) and STILL making them break the follow up. One more net and the round is over.

2 bars - 2 xx net, jump back, ex-bomb, mb, ex-bomb, cb, net, [reverse]b2, saw - for about 49%.

Can't remember where i first saw this. Great way to close out rounds if you're sitting on two bars and your opponent is on about half-life.

3 bars - 2 xx net, ex-bomb, ex-bomb, fb, ex-saw, cb, net, back dash, [reverse]b2, saw - 61% damage, fully unbreakable. (saw this in one of TONY-T 's videos and quickly adopted!)

To put this in perspective, most characters can't even do 61% damage mid-screen!

Also remember you can always go for d2 after the reverse b2 instead of saw to maximize damage or make them break. It's also possible to use a second b2 instead of saw for max unbreakable damage + hard knockdown, but the spacing/timing is strict and not worth the extra 1% damage. You could also do - net, teleport, saw to build a little extra meter without any additional scaling on the saw.

For meterless unbreakable damage the best i can think of right now is b2, saw - mostly viable as a punish, or mixing up jip d4 command grab/12 with jip b2.

As Cyrax, being able to deal a lot of unbreakable damage is invaluable against characters like Kabal and Sektor that spend most of the round zoning/building meter and always seem to have enough to break.

Have fun!
'Been messing with Cyrax lately, I beleive the 3 bar unbreakable reset you have described doesn't do 61% when finished with a b2 into saw.
2 xx net, Ex Bomb, Ex Bomb, Far Bomb, Ex Buzzsaw (This part does 31%) Close bomb, net ,(the Close bomb explodes) reverse b2, Buzzsaw (this part does 22%) = 31%+22% = 53%. Still a lot but not over 60%:\
Edit: And 1 bar and 2 bar unbreakable each do 1% less ( 12%+22%=34% and 26%+22%=48% respectively) if there isn't some kind of crazy 1% unacounted damage which comes from when two parts of a reset combo are added up that I don't know anything about:)

Last edited: