What's new

Guide - Unbreakable Unbreakable Nexus

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
@Jeffrey Wolf , man, you were lucky that this guy, who used Crystalline Tremor, was a scrub. I faced a similar one as GM a while ago.

I have some stuff to hint for you:

1) Aura on, when in korner, do this kombo: B2, B2, D1, D1, D1, D1, B12xxEX Slide... and end this with any ender. Found out about this when I labbed it overnight here in PC. The old one could pack only 36%. With this I found you may pack 38%+.
2) Tremor is a good zoner, if he's in the right hands. He's a bad MU for Sub Zero. Been playing with some very good Tremor mains from here TYM to learn his MUs, so I know fully well about it.

GGs! ;)

BTW, WTF is with Kitana throwing diagonal fan? Is this a new addition in her variation or what? Kitana mains, any enlightenment for your bro?
Yeah, offline I go for the 4 D1s, but online I just do the 3. Also, ending in 123 does the same damage as B12 and I find is easier. I would think Crystalline Tremor vs GM would be in GMs favor, but I also think it's in UB favor, since Parry insta breaks Crystalline's armor.

As for Kitana, that was her Mournful variation, which is the hardest for UB to fight, as many of her attacks go through Parry. Overall though, I'd still say that it's a relatively even match up.

It's cool that you've got some solid people to play against. I definitely need to reach out more to people instead of just playing online ranked.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah, offline I go for the 4 D1s, but online I just do the 3. Also, ending in 123 does the same damage as B12 and I find is easier. I would think Crystalline Tremor vs GM would be in GMs favor, but I also think it's in UB favor, since Parry insta breaks Crystalline's armor.

As for Kitana, that was her Mournful variation, which is the hardest for UB to fight, as many of her attacks go through Parry. Overall though, I'd still say that it's a relatively even match up.

It's cool that you've got some solid people to play against. I definitely need to reach out more to people instead of just playing online ranked.
Crystalline beat all of Sub-Zero's variations before the patch imo, it may be different now. I could see Grandmaster going even and MAYBE winning, Unbreakable probably does alright too.

Tremor can somewhat zone Sub-Zero and he can even punish a slide on hit if he has flex with F1. Now that the parry has decent recovery, you could parry the stones from a reasonable distance without too much worry, take no chip with aura, and when flex wears off, slide is back in the equation. Sub-Zero's D4 low profiles stuff like F1 and will beat out slower buttons like B1 and whatnot. Losing ex shatter makes Sub a lot less scared of Tremor in open space or exploiting a gap. He still has safe armor however.

Basically I'm trying to say is Sub-Zero does a lot better now than he did before the patch against Crystalline. I still think GM loses to Aftershock, probably worse than before now. Idk how the other variations do vs Aftershock, he can kind of fuck with all of them.

Jeffrey Wolf

Crystalline beat all of Sub-Zero's variations before the patch imo, it may be different now. I could see Grandmaster going even and MAYBE winning, Unbreakable probably does alright too.

Tremor can somewhat zone Sub-Zero and he can even punish a slide on hit if he has flex with F1. Now that the parry has decent recovery, you could parry the stones from a reasonable distance without too much worry, take no chip with aura, and when flex wears off, slide is back in the equation. Sub-Zero's D4 low profiles stuff like F1 and will beat out slower buttons like B1 and whatnot. Losing ex shatter makes Sub a lot less scared of Tremor in open space or exploiting a gap. He still has safe armor however.

Basically I'm trying to say is Sub-Zero does a lot better now than he did before the patch against Crystalline. I still think GM loses to Aftershock, probably worse than before now. Idk how the other variations do vs Aftershock, he can kind of fuck with all of them.
I'd say UB beats Crystalline. Aftershock though...I'd need to play it more. When I have, it's been a pain, as he's one of those characters that has good aerial options.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
A few more vids. Still getting used to recording, and my play is far from perfect, but I hope they help. Some general match play:

Next, a match up against GM, because I know a lot of people have been wondering about UB vs GM. I had a really good one the other night, but it didn't get recorded, so this one will have to suffice for now. This person isn't a GM main (at least I don't think), but it should still get the general principle across:

Lastly, an example of how to build meter in some combos against an opponent who decided to AFK:

Small critic, you were probably trying to be patient but you let a lot of your opponents throw projectiles for free. A lot of projectiles can be slid under and blown up on reaction.

Jeffrey Wolf

Small critic, you were probably trying to be patient but you let a lot of your opponents throw projectiles for free. A lot of projectiles can be slid under and blown up on reaction.
Thanks. That's the great thing about making these recordings, besides getting to share: they let me see where I can improve my play.

Tender

Noob
A few more vids. Still getting used to recording, and my play is far from perfect, but I hope they help. Some general match play:

Next, a match up against GM, because I know a lot of people have been wondering about UB vs GM. I had a really good one the other night, but it didn't get recorded, so this one will have to suffice for now. This person isn't a GM main (at least I don't think), but it should still get the general principle across:

Lastly, an example of how to build meter in some combos against an opponent who decided to AFK:

Hey Jeff I still think the match up is in GM favor, no offense to slade but he obviously didn't know how to set klones up, especially by the use of ur meter it's easy to trap us in with close klone instead of a far one. And remember to use more f12 as ender in corner, it can set you up with aura or mix up for ex aura to hit confirm or finish with safer strings than slide. Just a quick thought ggs tho. Thanks for the video.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I'd say UB beats Crystalline. Aftershock though...I'd need to play it more. When I have, it's been a pain, as he's one of those characters that has good aerial options.
You should ask @YUZU_RZA or m2dave to train you with Tremor. Tremor in his good hands is the second worst match after Ermac.

Jeffrey Wolf

Hey Jeff I still think the match up is in GM favor, no offense to slade but he obviously didn't know how to set klones up, especially by the use of ur meter it's easy to trap us in with close klone instead of a far one. And remember to use more f12 as ender in corner, it can set you up with aura or mix up for ex aura to hit confirm or finish with safer strings than slide. Just a quick thought ggs tho. Thanks for the video.
Yeah, like I said, GM clearly wasn't this person's main, but the match still shows the general game plan as UB. I've actually played against some solid GMs (it might even be the match up I've played the most) and I really do think UB wins. Time will tell though.

A for F12, I appreciate the feedback =), but now that it's no longer +2, I never use that string. If you don't have Aura on, it's better to leave it off and hit the opponent with F4~Aura on their wake up to get the frame advantage, and if you do have Aura on, ending in Slide gives plenty of time to setup your next attack. We're so lucky to have an all purpose move like Sub's Slide, since not only does it do all the wonderful things that slides do, but it's a great ender.

Jeffrey Wolf

You should ask @YUZU_RZA or m2dave to train you with Tremor. Tremor in his good hands is the second worst match after Ermac.
I assume those people are in NA? As for worst match ups, I think a good Dragon Naginata Tanya is much harder than Tremor, but again, the really cool thing about UB is he doesn't have any truly terrible match ups.

This is old. This is the stage fatality. If you duck and block, you can press the 2 for this "brutality". ;)
I'm pretty sure they're posting this to show that Aura can link into D2, which no one really does since the only use would be as a stage fatality, or maybe if the opponent was about to use breaker. For swag, I should start ending some matches like this...

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I assume those people are in NA? As for worst match ups, I think a good Dragon Naginata Tanya is much harder than Tremor, but again, the really cool thing about UB is he doesn't have any truly terrible match ups.
Only RZA is from France. m2Dave, as far as I know, is an American like you. Those guys are Tremor mains. I know that RZA got the NTSC edition of MKXL (PS4), so he may play with US, too. This is why I added them in for you.

I'm pretty sure they're posting this to show that Aura can link into D2, which no one really does since the only use would be as a stage fatality, or maybe if the opponent was about to use breaker. For swag, I should start ending some matches like this...
It's similar to the B12xxIceball, D2 for brutality end, so you may use the B12xxEX Aura, D2 in the same manner. ;)
However, I don't know if it's viable if you do the B12xxEX Burst, D2.

Jeffrey Wolf

Of course, after saying that I'd never use F12, I lose a match when I was near death because my ender didn't give me enough time to put Aura on and still be plus, so good call, man, there are some times when it's needed.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
I think f12 is a pretty good normal and metallic gives ub the hardest time over crystalline and aftershock imo

Jeffrey Wolf

I'd say Crystalline is in UB's favor. I never play against the other two anymore, but I can see Aftershock being a pain.

Jeffrey Wolf

Hi there! Wondering what combos you guys are doing off of Parry and B2(midscreen). Thanks for the help!
Combos for UB are here: https://testyourmight.com/threads/living-sub-zero-combo-thread.61849/

For Parry midscreen, you'll use regular B12 combos. For Parry corner, you'll use B2, unless you want to go into EX Burst.

For B2 midscreen, it's just the standard run up F42~Slide, unless the B2 connects airborne, in which case you can do B12~Burst for a bit more damage. Alternatively, if you have Aura on, you can do B2, F42~EN Slide, NJP, FJP(2), run, B12/12~Slide, for even more damage.

If memory serves, all of these to some degree should be found in the combo list breakdown.

Jeffrey Wolf

Noob question: UB does well against Ermac?
UB's harder match-ups are against airborne opponents, like Tanya, Takeda, and Ermac, but even then, it's not really bad, since Aura will negate chip and EX Slide with Aura will punish things that most characters can't (e.g. Ermac's ground pound). Characters with a teleport will serve you better in these match-ups, but if you don't play one of them, UB can get the job done. I would say this is one of UB's main strengths: he doesn't have any bad match ups.