What's new

UMK3 Uk

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Shock i meant intended to be playable "as is". I want characters be as close to original as possible but vanilla Noob is a god tier and he's ultimately stronger than vanilla Rain. Surely i can make little balance changes but not strong changes.
You can make Noob play exactly like MKT but add a hit limit or cool down to his moves so he can't perform an infinite off any hit, I mean even Rain is super broke as is, almost any hit leads to infinite. This was a big complaint about various MKT add on characters and becomes problematic. If you want to preserve the MKT standards, you have to leave them broken, but otherwise, there's not much reason to as they were not in UMK3. In fact, Noob Saibot has more of an argument to be in UMK3 with moves because he was added to wavenet with the teleport, and it was worse than MKT.

KOHR

Noob
@Shock mkt isn't popular here, only alternative is genesis where noob is god tier and rain is low or mid tier (i was told this by genesis players). Rain also has this infinite but it so hard nobody might do it online. My only reason come from basic balance. Anyway, choise is done
and rain is in roster. Noob hasn't place for avatar and i don't think I'll do anything with it.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Shock mkt isn't popular here, only alternative is genesis where noob is god tier and rain is low or mid tier (i was told this by genesis players). Rain also has this infinite but it so hard nobody might do it online. My only reason come from basic balance. Anyway, choise is done
and rain is in roster. Noob hasn't place for avatar and i don't think I'll do anything with it.
I think I'm just having some difficulty understanding the rigidness of the rules you're placing yourself under for updates, but that's up to you, good luck with this project!

about rain from mkt psx than yours(exept the difference of speed)
-4 hits combos is little slow.
-water ball is little slow.
-height of character is lower when water ball is used.
-lightnning has 1 more hit limit.
-lightnning time limit is shorter.
-roundhouse kick combo has better recovery on block.
-roundhouse kick alone: height of the character is little down when pop up.
roundhouse kick on corner is better,you can add lk or hk when pop up...

it s my first time with rain on psx,and i don t know n64 version...
i don t like home console port...

Last edited:

KOHR

Noob
@justfr@me i've copied all from N64 so some issues isn't correct. I don't know about these and i'm going to check it:
4 hits combos is little slow
-roundhouse kick alone: height of the character is little down when pop up.
I don't understand what do you mean here, i think this must be arcade physics.
roundhouse kick on corner is better,you can add lk or hk when pop up...

for infinite on psx ,i must do hp~run roundhouse to work...with yours, i can double aahp easily without run...

imo,4 hits combos is slower on psx,however the game is fatest...

-the hitbox of lightnning is slightly better on psx...

KOHR

Noob
What means "better"? I can tune it, which parameter do you want to change? Width/height can be increased or decreased.

it s hard to connect lightnning when character is juggled...

imo,it s not a good idea to copy all framedata of console port,it s not the same game..

KOHR

Noob
Give me an easy juggle example where it should connects and i'll tune it. I'll change framedata soon, it was only start point.

if i do ligtnning, water ball and lightnning again,it s hard to connect when character fall down..

for roundhouse kick,your heights are corrects,it s more easy because the game is slower..

on psx,against mk1 raiden,infinite is more easy than umk3 so...

there s a big difference with roundhouse kick...
on psx, need big space behind rain to chain anything after r.k ..rain don t turn around...situations for infinite are limited and it s good.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just add a hit limit to the RH, it's a preposterous move to begin with from any perspective.

KOHR

Noob
I thought about next variants:
  1. Hitlimit
  2. Hard timing like reptile's
  3. Random jitter addition after hitlimit

As far as I can see you can import graphics for characters and add new stages.
Is there any chance of adding Pit II stage fatality?
Falling animations for characters were made over the years for MUGEN projects and if you are able to get the coding from MKII and implement it here it would be a good addition

KOHR

Noob
As far as I can see you can import graphics for characters and add new stages.
Is there any chance of adding Pit II stage fatality?
Falling animations for characters were made over the years for MUGEN projects and if you are able to get the coding from MKII and implement it here it would be a good addition
I'm out of space now. It's possible to use mame emulator for add some additional space but i can't promise I'll use this

I'm out of space now. It's possible to use mame emulator for add some additional space but i can't promise I'll use this
There are a lot of unused graphics in arcade roms. Looking for and removing it might be a lot of work and time consuming I suppose

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What would it require for you to explore using the unused rom locations on the board?

KOHR

Noob
@Shock i don't understand the question. If your ask about mame extension then it can be done by nwo, i think it's not so hard. If you ask for further rom investigation then i think it impossible to get sufficient amount of space. I already got so many space i could fit 6 additional arenas where original developers couldn't fit one arena, the bank.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Shock i don't understand the question. If your ask about mame extension then it can be done by nwo, i think it's not so hard. If you ask for further rom investigation then i think it impossible to get sufficient amount of space. I already got so many space i could fit 6 additional arenas where original developers couldn't fit one arena, the bank.
The rom slots that were used for MK3 total for I believe 2 megs, and the other remaining slots that weren't used in either MK3 or UMK3 are another 8 megs, then there's 4 unused sound roms. Overall the board has a lot more space that can be used if the locations are addressed, just tell the game where to find the data. This might require changing some other things, but theoretically you could open the space up dramatically.

The reason why the original devs had to cut things was due to budget and deadlines. We've had several years and labor of love to edit the game in a serious capacity. It's my assumption that they simply picked up where they left off in MK3 with UMK3, which is why they chose to put the new graphics roms on the next row, instead of just replacing the MK3 ones, because it would be easier to do so. The roms were very expensive then and loading that board up with data would have been too costly. This doesn't matter anymore and I bet you can use those spots.

Last edited:

KOHR

Noob
@Shock all mame versions didn't read anything but files which were used by game. Some umk3 roms contain mk3 files which are not reads by the emulator. So it's impossible without building new mame anyway. Umk3 board contains 2 mb for code, 1 mb is outdated mk3 code which is not read by emulators and cabinets and 1 mb is umk 3 code.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Shock all mame versions didn't read anything but files which were used by game. Some umk3 roms contain mk3 files which are not reads by the emulator. So it's impossible without building new mame anyway. Umk3 board contains 2 mb for code, 1 mb is outdated mk3 code which is not read by emulators and cabinets and 1 mb is umk 3 code.
I think we can make this happen.