What's new

UMK3 Tier list discussion

fyi everyone can be tourney worthy. if you are just that much better than everyone, you'll beat everyone with anyone.
Not in all games though, only a few are balanced enough for you to be able to accomplish this. UMK3 isn't amazingly balanced, but balanced enough that any character can win. Dunno why I brought that up, lol.

tier lists are determined by the outcomes of head to head matches of those whose skill level is pratically the same.
Exactly, but to dwell a little deeper. Imagine a tier list as if though robots were playing the game perfectly. They are playing the characters to their full potential with no mistakes. So, when two humans play, the results won't always be what the tier lists indicate, since humans aren't perfect and can never play perfect all the time. Even amazing players like Daigo in SF4, make plenty of mistakes.

The UMK3 tier list is kinda unique in the fact that it's not set-up like any other tier list. There's no match-up chart that I am aware of, so I'm not quite sure how they came up with the tier list for UMK3. I also don't think it should be a 1-23 numbered tier list, I believe it should be divided by A, B, C etc, with multiple characters being in either one. This, again, is how it's done in other games, and I think it should be done with UMK3 as well. But, the game is so old I think people already have a very good idea of who is good against who and who is good in general. It would be nice for newcomers though, to have a match-up chart based tier list.

People focus too much time on tier lists though. I'm kinda glad there's no match-up chart in UMK3. I have become quite sick of getting messages in SSF4 saying "I only lost because that is a 6:4 match-up". It's the lamest excuse I get because it's so easy to fall back on and because of that you don't improve. You won't try and figure the match out because when you lose you can just say it's a bad match-up that's why you lost. The only way this is true is when it gets to 8:2+ match-ups, maybe 7:3, but in both cases it's still winnable.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I want to do a match up chart badly and make a redefined tier list broken up into groups. The one we've used for so long has generally be based on frequency of use, tournament success, and simple logic math and science based upon gameplay facts. The problem is no one has the time, and the only real place to do it is at a tournament.

I want to do a match up chart badly and make a redefined tier list broken up into groups. The one we've used for so long has generally be based on frequency of use, tournament success, and simple logic math and science based upon gameplay facts. The problem is no one has the time, and the only real place to do it is at a tournament.
I would love one for UMK3 too, just to have it. I would attempt to make one, but most of my experience is online based, and the match-up tier lists are based on tournaments. I've only been to one tournament, so I'm not exactly qualified. I do think I could help though, if needed.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The tier list we have is considerably outdated, but not as outdated as the old Chicago tier list. It's been talked about on here for years but it's really time to do it. We can put some players against each other at the next tournament, of equal skill, but perhaps ensuring the characters chosen are being used by players who know what they are doing with them. I don't personally know many players who can use every single character to an effective level in the game but we have enough to cover the board.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I did not play UMK3 on a competitive level (gonna start now, never too late right?): Why is Shang so bad?

NobilityV3

Smalls deep.
Yes, but I wanted multiple opinions, not just 1 person. You don't get better at a game listening to just one source
The tier list are actually the characters who have the most useful specials when utilizing the run-jab method. So, if you are playing at competitive-play, this list is relevant. If not, in a run-jab free zone, anything is possible.

And Shock, can you at least give us one substantial change to the tier list?

Kitana should be higher or equal with somebody above her in my recent experience. She can mix it up and keep you locked down very well. Try to pressure her and you could get a kick AND an instant fan in the face.

Not sure why mileena is near the very bottom, I am guessing there is some huge flaw that I don't know or can't remember.

I am not asking that this tier list be changed, just thought I would share my opinion of it.