What's new

UMK3 Tier list discussion

G

Learn the combos, move properties, and the tactics necessary to stand a chance in competitive UMK3 play. Click Here to take a look!

Current Accepted Tier List:

1. Kabal
2. Human Smoke
3. Kung Lao
4. Kano
5. Reptile
6. Ermac
7. Nightwolf
8. Robo Smoke
9. Sindel
10. Jax
11. Sonya
12. Kitana
13. Stryker
14. Scorpion
15. Unmasked Sub-Zero
16. Jade
17. Liu Kang
18. Sektor
19. Classic Sub-Zero
20. Cyrax
21. Shang Tsung
22. Mileena
23. Sheeva

Great Guides Shock. I'm still using them to this day.

I know those combos are supposed to be an even mixture of ease, percentage, how many people it works on, and sometimes setup for the next move. In Cyrax's guide, the last one is the lucky something or other, basicly with three bombs in the total kombo. I have seen a lot of varriations. I think I finally got the highest midscreen possibility. It's hard to transcribe with the timing and all but imagine the setup the same as the one in the guide. Replace 'RH' with 'HP,HP, RH' and 'HP,HP, air throw' with 'HP,HP, HP, JK'

98%

http://www.zippyvideos.com/4884505325649016/cyrax_98/

eidt: I thought you could only get 4 HPs in a row with faster characters or with the help of the corner. Apparently it can be done midscreen off a bomb with cyrax. So if you do that, you could still finish with an airthrow and it would still be over 100%. I haven't got the full combo yet.

I thought you could only do that in the corner, I've tried many times midscreen. Which way would it be easier?

C'mon, this isn't kindergarten.

It must just be one of those things I'm not physically able to do. Just like ermac's telekenetic slam on the right side. My fingers just wont let me do it.

edit: that kidnergarten remark was meant for selpex, I didn't refresh the page in a while and did not see your post ded_. I know I will get it eventually but I still get 4 HPs easier. Although your way is better for many reasons, because it can be done on more characters, and you don't have to do 'HP,HP, RH' earlier in the process. Instead you could just do one HP, making it much easier, or just do HP,HP, JK, which is also easier.

Well yeah it's easy, but sometimes it looks like the air throw is blockable, is that even possible? Look, the screen shakes like he hit the ground.

http://uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/20317360445.wmv

Do you guys prefer if I post these hot linked or you wouldn't mind if they were web-based? Because if you don't care I could keep them all at zippyvideos.com but it's super easy to hot link off of putfile, and there's a lot of advantages to downloading them, like skipping frames.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The air throw is unblockable vs Jax in that combo, even by the game's definition of blockable, he was in the air.

After a combo, it is like an otg air throw, I don't know it even registers as an air throw, it must just read the collisions and when you press LP, vs where they are and not care about being in the air or not, I mean, you can air throw Kung out of his teleport with Cyrax off the screen.

After the autocombo, you cannot move or block until you about to get up, so you have several extra frames of vulnerability, this would make the corner air throw unblockable even if it were blockable.

Shock said:
...this would make the corner air throw unblockable even if it were blockable.
lol

Edit: Okay, since that was just a wasteful post, I will do THIS:

Some Of the YouTube videos at the bottom of the guides have white extending out of the sides. Sometimes YouTube just puts extra width in the embedded code.

Here is what it is for kano:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/InG6-TLsXpg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InG6-TLsXpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

All you have to do is change the 2nd width to 425 and it will look like the rest of them. Here are all the pages that have that issue:

Kano
Ermac
Sonya
Kitana
Jade
Sektor
Shang
Mileena

What's next on the agenda? Looking for typos...

Edit: I remember this one from MortalKombatOnline.com/MK5.org, when I asked about the highest combo off of a midscreen spear for smoke.

Anyway, it's:
Human Smoke,
Spear/Harpoon section (3rd paragraph)
last sentence.

"...as WEAK up..."

^ click it ^

Suprisingly enough, this spelling error is not found in scorpions guide.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I don't know how that happened on the youtube vids, seeing as I just copy and pasted the links, and the first time I watched all of them that stuff wasn't there. I'll change it now.

I think your guides are fantastic. I have taken a interest in learning more Kitana today and this is definitely the place to get the info. Major props!

I like the new layout. H-smoke sticks out though.

I have very little experiane with photoshop let alone any photo editor. Even the background is a little funky. I just modified sub's icon and it's still less memory. I don't see how people got paid for doing this.

^Trilogy^

^me^

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I did the exact same thing a while back lol. We'll use your gif, thanks Dave.

I forgot to mention this before, but I got onto this site with my PSP last night and it reminded me. The "new" setup for the character guides allows it to show on the PSP browser. BTW, the psp browser is bad to say the least, they just started allowing flash in the new revisions so there are still some problems. But now you can read and change guides. The PSP browser has a problem with drop down menus unless there is some sort of "GO" next to it, which is why it didn't work before.

It's good news (for me atleast) because my lil bro is always on the computer :(

TheRedPsychosis said:
I gotta ask this.. Why is Kano number 4? I've never really played a good Kano that would make him seem better than.. Liu Kang.
I wonder this too. Reptile is much better than Kano.

dreemernj

Ambassador
abc ur dead0 said:
TheRedPsychosis said:
I gotta ask this.. Why is Kano number 4? I've never really played a good Kano that would make him seem better than.. Liu Kang.
I wonder this too. Reptile is much better than Kano.
Amazing sweep, good roundhouse, low starting popup combo, air throw, the cannonball has no startup time, knife slash hits low.

Kano is one of the most fun characters to play as IMO. And I think Busta has a pretty deadly Kano IIRC.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If more people could play Reptile like me and ded_, Reptile would probably be #4, but even still there are more people who are good that specialize in Kano over Reptile. Combos or tactics alone are just not enough. You need to have a solid mix of both to be effective with Reptile against good players. Against scrubs tactics alone without big juggles will lead to easy victories.

I think within a year there will be some people who can score decent damage with Reptile and get his Force Ball tactics down. I still have never seen anyone do more than 2 juggles and still connect an uppercut other than me, ded_, and this guy Darrick who played at ECC9. DreemerNJ can do that and more, but I've never seen him do it in a match and that's where it counts. It's a huge difference when people are getting less than 50% per combo with Reptile against Kano, compared to getting a 60%+. A 60% combo changes the pace of a match even when it's not the deciding factor of a match. It turns it into 1.5 mistakes for Kano and Kano has to count moreso on tactics to win.

I have been noticing the community as a whole, and mostly guys who post here, who are using things that I have never seen anyone but myself do before. The other night I ran in and blocked Sindel's scream and countered. He asked me how I did it and I explained, he tried it and did it. Then the next night I was playing some guys and it happened twice with two different players. Unfortunately they didn't capitalize because they weren't 100% committed to the action and you have to be.

is it me or is it just easier to run in and block kitana's fanwave rather than sindel's scream i can do them both but i would say i can get kitana's about 98% of time and i can only get sindels about 80%

Kazlaz

Noob
Shock i watched your videos of you and Bill going at like 10 times with kabal and reptile you came out on top every time though

Your awsome with him

ilovepoop said:
is it me or is it just easier to run in and block kitana's fanwave rather than sindel's scream i can do them both but i would say i can get kitana's about 98% of time and i can only get sindels about 80%
Kitanas Fan wave still goes on alot longer, Plus it doesn't have as long range. Sindel's :evil: damn scream has such long range, and a much faster recovery time.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Also the collision detection moves horizontally moreso during the fanlift in some way making it a bit easier to get in close enough to block when it's not right up against you, but will be on the next frame.