What's new

UMK3 Team Edition v1.0 (Features/changelog)

nwo

Noob
Originally, I wasn't going to make a Team Edition thread, but the game has been finished for almost 2 months and I thought now would be a good time for a thread so maybe the people who don't play on kaillera regularly would know about it also.

We (@KOHR and I) started this project in early November 2017 and the first public BETA was finished about 2 months later in late December. A lot of the work was from previous months / years, it just needed to all come together.

The game was tested online for about a month, then we spent a few weeks fixing bugs for version 1.0, which was finished in February 2018.

I've been playing 4 player 2 on 2 UMK3 on kaillera since 2010, and in the past we needed a separate software program (UMK3 Unlocker) to 'auto switch' the controls. The host player would send the commands over the internet to switch the controls which made it unreliable at times especially in heavy lag, due to dropped inputs.

Team Edition does not 'switch' the controls over the internet, making it much more reliable than before. It can also be made to work offline relatively easily in future updates..

Features/changelog Video

The main features in version 1.0 are the same as in the BETA. This is pretty much the text from the video, copy and pasted...

Features:

- 2 on 2 Team Kombat for kaillera (if 4 or more players are detected).

*Future versions may have offline support*

- Player nicknames [up to 15 characters in length] for Kaillera and P2P.

- Support for up to 6 players (3 teams).

Required Emulator: MAME32++ 0.119 (February 2018 edition)

Emulator Download Link: (roms are not included)

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/EMBI834m/file.html

Emulator-Rom communication:

The game will behave differently depending on the amount of players detected by the emulator...

2 Player Mode:
- All modes of play are selectable (1v1 Kombat, 4 Player 2 on 2 Kombat, and 8 Player Tournament).

- The wins counter DOES NOT reset after a loss (keeps track of all wins for both players).

3 Player Mode:
- Automatic control switching activated (king of the hill). Winner stays in and loser is moved to spectator position after each fight.

- The wins counter resets after a loss (default behavior).

- 8 Player Tournament mode is disabled.

4 Player Mode:
- 2 on 2 Team Kombat enabled.

- Only selectable mode of play is 4 Player 2 on 2 Kombat.

- Wins counter DOES NOT reset after a loss (keeps track of every win for both TEAMS).

- Game Over screen appears if the continue timer runs out.

5 Players:
Same as 4 Player mode. The 5th player can only spectate.

6 Player Mode:
- 2 on 2 Team Kombat enabled.

- Only selectable mode of play is 4 Player 2 on 2 Kombat.

- Automatic control switching activated (king of the hill). The winning team stays in and the losing team is moved to the spectator position.

- Wins counter resets after a loss (default behavior).

- Game Over screen appears if the continue timer runs out.

Rom Changes:

- Default volume increased (to 90%)

- Free Play mode is enabled by default

- A 'Hidden Select' feature added to the character selection screen. Activated by highlighing Ermac and pressing start.

- If the start button is pressed twice on Ermac the cursor is moved to Scorpion or Kitana (depending on which side you're on) for quick Random Select ability.

- Human Smoke and Noob Saibot are at the selection screen. In 1v1 kombat they appear behind the character sprites.

- New palette for h.Smoke player 2 side.

- Two new paletes for Noob Saibot.

- Noob Saibot is ignored when using Random Select.

- Jax on player 2 side can 'gotcha' grab and dash-punch while charging LK.

- Sektor on player 2 side can fire a dumb missile while a smart missile is active.

- The WINS counter was repositioned on player 2 side

- When Noob Saibot is selected, voice says "It's official. You suck" instead of "Kano Wins."

- Error screen removed when game loads default values online.

- Multiple kombat arenas were aligned to fit the screen properly.

- Fixed palette selections when both players choose same character.

- Fixed bug where game stops working properly after 10 minutes in training mode (infinite time).

Some gameplay footage...

6 Player test

4 Player test

Last edited:

nwo

Noob
I just wanted to give a heads up on a 'player nick name' bug that I saw in a recent video (@KOHR had also pointed this out to me right before we finished, but I needed a break and it didn't get fixed).

If the game is started in windowed mode and then the user switches to fullscreen mode afterwards by pressing ALT+ENTER, the player names will still be positioned for windowed mode and the positioning will be off if you're using wide screen resolution AND have 'enforce aspect ratio' enabled, because of the sidebars.

Here's a video with the bug:

I'd just recommend starting the game in fullscreen mode if you want to play fullscreen and not go back and forth between windowed and fullscreen mode (if the positioning bothers you).

If there are future versions this will be fixed.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Number one suggestion I constantly hear from people playing the Rom: Make 2v2 use explosive kombat by default.

Reactions: nwo

nwo

Noob
Number one suggestion I constantly hear from people playing the Rom: Make 2v2 use explosive kombat by default.
Yeah I love that kombat code and it could actually serve a purpose in 'more serious' offline matches, so you don't unfairly get hit before you have control. I don't know if i'd want it to be permanently enabled though, maybe..

There's 1-2 other bugs that need to be fixed also, that aren't really known. If you press reset with 4-6 players in round 2 or 3 when the controls are 1vs3 it will break the player names and control switching. If you play through 1 fight after, the names and control switching will come back though, and it's an easy fix.