What's new

UMK3 Sindel Discussion

One time a while back my computer was lagging major, and I was playing at 5-10 fps. When I tried to do specials, a lot of the time it wouldn't come out, but when I did it slowly, it worked. So when the combination is done too fast, the special will not work. Though, it's impossible to go too fast at regular framerate. Still, it makes me wonder how stuff like the sindel flight cancel can be done. I mean, B,B,F,HK, Block... and that's all in an extremely small amount of time. Compared to the actual HPs, the flight and cancel doesn't even exist. It's madness!

dreemernj

Ambassador
It's hard as hell to do.

Flight is b,b,f,hk
You stop flying with block.

So, flight cancel is:

aa.HP, b, b, f, (HP connects) HK, Block, Repeat

Using a keyboard seems vital to getting this because of the rhythm you can get into on a keyboard. This is my keyboard layout:

a=left
s=down
w=up
d=right
u=HP
i=Block
o=HK
j=LP
l=LK
Space=run

So once I get into the groove of it i am pressing aadoiu over and over again incredibly fast. There are some minor timing issues so you can't just mash that but once you get used to it you can get a few volleys. And if you are willing to sacrifice your fingers you can go for a dozen or so volleys of it.

EDIT:
It is possible to get a bunch of volleys in real time without breaking the keyboard and I have gotten a TON of volleys in real time, it was just incredibly hard and I probably looked like I was on speed doing it. I had been trying for hours, my hands were getting numb, and I was beating the keyboard without a shred of mercy.

dreemernj said:
... and I probably looked like I was on speed doing it. I had been trying for hours, my hands were getting numb, and I was beating the keyboard without a shred of mercy.
It must be really creepy (funny) to see anyone over the age of 13 doing something like that, let alone mid 20's. No offense.

You should tape yourself next time.....

dreemernj

Ambassador
Creepy doesn't even begin to describe it. I've not worked for a combo like that since and I promise you I never will again.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I don't know about in real vs because the setup has to be pretty precise to do it, but I have done more than 4 real time. I'll see if I have a keyboard around still I can use for it. The one I used to use died, the replacement I got was identical except it was USB instead of PS/2 and the button locking is far worse.

I could do it on my laptop, but I'd be afraid of breaking my laptop :-/

I'll find something. I could even try pointing at camcorder at my hands and the screen while I'm doing it, but I don't think its all that impressive looking on the keyboard. And I don't think I could do it on real arcade controls.

I Think by 'Real Time' that means at the regular speed because I think the complete infinite (in the original UMK3 video) was done by slowing the game down a bit.

Selpex

Noob
i could only do it through slowing down, very hard to do still, i think you only have 10 or 11 frames to do the flight cancel/blk after hp is pressed, to not cause pushback

dreemernj

Ambassador
I don't remember how close to full speed my computer ran the game when I first did the combo. I was on a slower comp at the time. But, I just tried the combo on a crappy keyboard at fullspeed and got 4 volleys. With a decent keyboard I think I can get considerably more.

EDIT: and for reference, its handy to be able to type fast if you want to get your fingers fast enough to do this. On a good keyboard I can sustain about 140 WPM.

ANOTHER EDIT: grr, on the best keyboard I have the block button is locking up constantly as I am attempting this.

MKR

Noob
dreemernj said:
It's hard as hell to do.

Flight is b,b,f,hk
You stop flying with block.

So, flight cancel is:

aa.HP, b, b, f, (HP connects) HK, Block, Repeat

Using a keyboard seems vital to getting this because of the rhythm you can get into on a keyboard. This is my keyboard layout:

a=left
s=down
w=up
d=right
u=HP
i=Block
o=HK
j=LP
l=LK
Space=run

So once I get into the groove of it i am pressing aadoiu over and over again incredibly fast. There are some minor timing issues so you can't just mash that but once you get used to it you can get a few volleys. And if you are willing to sacrifice your fingers you can go for a dozen or so volleys of it.

EDIT:
It is possible to get a bunch of volleys in real time without breaking the keyboard and I have gotten a TON of volleys in real time, it was just incredibly hard and I probably looked like I was on speed doing it. I had been trying for hours, my hands were getting numb, and I was beating the keyboard without a shred of mercy.

I am playing with num lock and arrows

a=left Arrow
s=downArrow
w=upv
d=rightArrow
u=HP num 7
i=Block num 0
o=HK num 9
j=LP num 4
l=LK num 6
Space=run num 5

thank i will try to do this infinite

ded

Elder God
without slowing the game down my best was:

aaHPx2, Flight Cancel, aaHP, Flight Cancel, aaHP, Flight Cancel, aaHP, Flight Cancel, aaHP, pushed away aaHP

in real vs i often do (when i'm felling cocky) popup into corner, jk, aahp, flight cancel, uppercut, but i cant get more than 1 then.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Thanks for proving my point ded_ :)

Getting a bunch of volleys is definately possible without slowing down the game. But this, like most of the combos from our vids, is not realistic to do versus an opponent.

If you feel like messing with people its also fun to just do b,b,f, and then hit HK, Block, HK, Block, HK, Block a few times over. You can usually get 3 or 4 standing flight cancels. It does no good, but it looks funny.

Yes, pretty much ONLY the pros use it. Its very effect for high damage combos.
I dont think it's effective at all. The people I've seen who can get it usually end up missing 2/3rds of the time, in effect losing any damage they would have gained by landing a no frills combo.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I generally can get one aaHP - flight cancel in the corner after a pop up consistently in game, but I only use it for show. I can get 3 or so in practice but it requires too much practice to maintain that, meaning that the opportunity rarely presents itself in game so you'd have to practice in training mode to really ever want to see it.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Technically the only way you could do it without altering game speed, is on a keyboard. You could set the buttons up so that when you press the correct input it spells a word, so you could set up a simple word that is easy to type without letters being too close together and do it with a rhythm. You could do this infinite without looking that way.

HAYRON

Noob
If that's the case, it wouldn't really have to be a word either. You could just set up the most accessible keys, like s,d,f,j,k,l or whatever. The hard part would be switching from wherever your useable normal control scheme is located to these keys. That's why those six would probably be the best.

Even then, it would obviously be nearly impossible to pull off in a competitive game setting.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The point of making it a word is to create a rhythm of typing. When you have everything next to each other like that it might start missing presses if you hit buttons too quickly.