What's new

UMK3 Sektor Clinic - Mr Bass vs Biggs - The Red Robot Lessons

MRIGOTBASS

Attention All Sektor Fans, as a yearly tradition on Independence Day I would like to release this years UMK3 Contribution.
This year we are doing a Red Trash Can clinic for all Sektor Fans. @Biggs was doubting the validity of Sektor as a character,
for over an hour @Biggs threw the kitchen sink at the Red Robot but nothing stuck. Enjoy the Clinic.

Much love to Sektor TF2 for teaching me how to play the character when I was a wee lad.

Happy 4th.
Bass

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Attention All Sektor Fans, as a yearly tradition on Independence Day I would like to release this years UMK3 Contribution.
This year we are doing a Red Trash Can clinic for all Sektor Fans. @Biggs was doubting the validity of Sektor as a character,
for over an hour @Biggs threw the kitchen sink at the Red Robot but nothing stuck. Enjoy the Clinic.

Much love to Sektor TF2 for teaching me how to play the character when I was a wee lad.

Happy 4th.
Bass
Gotta wait until noon? Damn

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Happy Independence Day @Juggs lol enjoy the video
I watched some of it then fell asleep, I’ll have to check it out again when I get some time. Looked like good matches from what I saw, just a little too many GJ’s tho lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Finished it up, cool matches. Way too many Kabals for me, but I like some of your strats. And Biggs is pretty good at the iaFB’s with Kabal and Kitana. The fact that you can essentially OS with HP GJ’s up close into the pop up combos with several different characters is a smart strat.

What brought this on? Like, is there some more context behind this? When it comes to you, there always is, lol @MRIGOTBASS

MRIGOTBASS

Finished it up, cool matches. Way too many Kabals for me, but I like some of your strats. And Biggs is pretty good at the iaFB’s with Kabal and Kitana. The fact that you can essentially OS with HP GJ’s up close into the pop up combos with several different characters is a smart strat.

What brought this on? Like, is there some more context behind this? When it comes to you, there always is, lol @MRIGOTBASS
This set is from a while back on Mame 119 Juggs before everyone started using their own version or umk3, or fightcade bs. @Biggs had his spreadsheet out said Sektor sucked on paper, so we did this set. The man got smoked, and whats funny is the 3-4 games he won he talks shit every game and out of his pure swolness and hate messages the Red Trash Can was born, I am more or less the Father of the Trashcan. Over the years @Biggs denied he ever got beat by my sektor and this set never occurred lol, I forgot i even recorded the shit. A few days ago I found some random SSD drive in the back of my toolbox in the garage, so I looked on it and what do u know lol the Sektor Clinic was on it, I totally forgot I captured it as we played lol. In all fairness @Biggs has grown a LOT as a player since this video, he really is a great player but my Super Sektor this day was a bit much for him to handle LOL. I think he adjusted his spreadsheet accordingly. LOL

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
This set is from a while back on Mame 119 Juggs before everyone started using their own version or umk3, or fightcade bs. @Biggs had his spreadsheet out said Sektor sucked on paper, so we did this set. The man got smoked, and whats funny is the 3-4 games he won he talks shit every game and out of his pure swolness and hate messages the Red Trash Can was born, I am more or less the Father of the Trashcan. Over the years @Biggs denied he ever got beat by my sektor and this set never occurred lol, I forgot i even recorded the shit. A few days ago I found some random SSD drive in the back of my toolbox in the garage, so I looked on it and what do u know lol the Sektor Clinic was on it, I totally forgot I captured it as we played lol. In all fairness @Biggs has grown a LOT as a player since this video, he really is a great player but my Super Sektor this day was a bit much for him to handle LOL. I think he adjusted his spreadsheet accordingly. LOL
I think Sektor and Sheeva are slightly underrated. A lot of people say they’re the two worst characters in the game. It’s not like I think they’re top 15, but I do think they’re just outside of it. Like, they’re still bottom 6 imo, just not bottom 2. ¯\(ツ)

Anyway, here’s my current tier list18784

MRIGOTBASS

I think Sektor and Sheeva are slightly underrated. A lot of people say they’re the two worst characters in the game. It’s not like I think they’re top 15, but I do think they’re just outside of it. Like, they’re still bottom 6 imo, just not bottom 2. ¯\(ツ)

Anyway, here’s my current tier listView attachment 18784
Yes the Red Trash Can and Sheeva are both pretty dope characters, highly underrated on paper. I have no smart guy answer as to why but maybe one of the experts could chime in? BTW I had to ask Sawns what OS ment lol apparently I was doing option selects which i still have no clue what they are with Sektor lol

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Hello Bass, what's up? I don't get on TYM often so I didn't see this until just now

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Yes the Red Trash Can and Sheeva are both pretty dope characters, highly underrated on paper. I have no smart guy answer as to why but maybe one of the experts could chime in? BTW I had to ask Sawns what OS ment lol apparently I was doing option selects which i still have no clue what they are with Sektor lol
It’s the same thing you do with Kabal. Where you run up and HP GJ on the opponents knock down. If they crouching LK, you block because you’re GJ’ing, if they block, you get the auto pop up combo (which is at least free chip dmg), and if they do anything that can get caught by the auto pop up combo, like trying to press buttons, since you’re doing the option select, it essentially makes the guess for you, and you get the pop up combo. Every character that has an auto combo that starts with HP,HP can more or less do this. It’s a very solid strat.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
It’s the same thing you do with Kabal. Where you run up and HP GJ on the opponents knock down. If they crouching LK, you block because you’re GJ’ing, if they block, you get the auto pop up combo (which is at least free chip dmg), and if they do anything that can get caught by the auto pop up combo, like trying to press buttons, since you’re doing the option select, it essentially makes the guess for you, and you get the pop up combo. Every character that has an auto combo that starts with HP,HP can more or less do this. It’s a very solid strat.
The Glitch Jab OS on strings doesn't translate well sometimes. Some characters like Kabal have slow clHP. I think Kabal's is like 6f compared to the average Elbow being like 4f. Often times you can see crLK's beat Kabal's clHP. because it's slow despite hitting mid. Most of the other characters, like CSub, have a special high or sometimes straight high hitting attack of their clHP. The range required to activate the close version of the normal differs between characters.

All of these factors exacerbate the weakness of the OS. You can't block while doing the close version of HP. If you are too close while attempting to do the OS you are vulnerable. It happens a lot with people trying to meaty Kabal on wakeup. Strings are based on proximity, they can come out even if the opponent is still on the ground recovering. A meaty clHP is mistimed on Kabal's wakeup and he spins you. The OS fails in this instance because you were too close to Kabal when trying to meaty him.

Another example of this OS failing is the whole "most clHP's are special highs/highs" thing. It allows opponents to duck under your high and punish your clHP. It happens all of the time with things like Uppercuts. An instant uppercut is usually required here because your hitbox expands while letting go of the block button, which allows high attacks to hit you even if they would normally miss.

The characters who apply the OS the best are easily Kabal (because Mid string) and Sindel (because range and speed, it basically becomes mid due to the expanding hitbox thing). Then other characters with popups on clHP like Ermac, CSub, Reptile, etc. Then everyone else.

Last edited:

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Happy Independance Day homie, I unearthed the lost set for you lol. Do you like my Option Selecting Sektor or no? Lol
I think I also have this set recorded and the other one we played on XBL too somewhere at home. Traveling RN so I can't find them atm.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Bass' recount of the situation is fairly accurate. I'll add this was recorded about 4-5 months after I started playing the game. The old UMK3 Discord's history dates it around Feb 22, 2018.

MRIGOTBASS

Bass' recount of the situation is fairly accurate. I'll add this was recorded about 4-5 months after I started playing the game. The old UMK3 Discord's history dates it around Feb 22, 2018.
View attachment 18785
Yea 2018 is 6 months after 2016s advanced ermac combo video ‍that you made on day 1 of playing umk3 lol. The post u dug up says add me on xbl, this set was on mame dude lol, the pic above is from the xbl set ft10 kabal vs reptile u raged on after 5 games lol.

But in all fairness it is old but certainly not 6 months after you started playing lol. ‍

Attachments

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
The post u dug up says add me on xbl, this set was on mame dude lol, the pic above is from the xbl set ft10 kabal vs reptile u raged on after 5 games lol.
According to discord the first mention of the fabled "Red Trash Can" was made on February 22, 2018. That is the same day as the screenshot. I think we played on MAME then I added you on XBL? Don't remember tbh

Funny enough when I went back to look through the old UMK3 discord, this set was apparently the first time we ever played.

Yea 2018 is 6 months after 2016s advanced ermac combo video ‍that you made on day 1 of playing umk3 lol.
I'm glad you brought this up. This actually isn't the first video on my channel for UMK3. The first is from 2015 of a TYM online tournament match of me vs Tehdrewsus.

Drew has his own recording of this tournament match here

The video description of my original video claims the tournament took place on January 10, 2015 and I have found the old tournament Challonge bracket to verify this. https://challonge.com/tympsnumk3

I recall playing UMK3 for less than a week before playing vs Drew and didn't touch the game after that tournament. I was busy playing UMVC3, USF4, MK9, MKX and whatever else was popular at the time. My youtube uploads seem to confirm this

Now on to the Ermac combo video. I wasn't playing the game at that time. You can easily tell by half of the combos in that video being blockable lmfao. I was playing SFV at the time. 2 years later you can see me start to consistently upload UMK3 because that's when I actually started playing the game seriously. Not one-off times. I really started playing the game in late 2017 after I quit SFV. I recall playing every day with Tim, Burloq, Glitchy, Cien, Vargas, Haze, and Drak at that time.

My first message in the old UMK3 discord verifies this too.

This has been a fun trip down memory lane though. Anyway Bass you obviously missed me enough to get my attention, so what's up?

MRIGOTBASS

According to discord the first mention of the fabled "Red Trash Can" was made on February 22, 2018. That is the same day as the screenshot. I think we played on MAME then I added you on XBL? Don't remember tbh
View attachment 18787
View attachment 18788

Funny enough when I went back to look through the old UMK3 discord, this set was apparently the first time we ever played.
View attachment 18789

I'm glad you brought this up. This actually isn't the first video on my channel for UMK3. The first is from 2015 of a TYM online tournament match of me vs Tehdrewsus.

Drew has his own recording of this tournament match here

The video description of my original video claims the tournament took place on January 10, 2015 and I have found the old tournament Challonge bracket to verify this. https://challonge.com/tympsnumk3

I recall playing UMK3 for less than a week before playing vs Drew and didn't touch the game after that tournament. I was busy playing UMVC3, USF4, MK9, MKX and whatever else was popular at the time. My youtube uploads seem to confirm this

Now on to the Ermac combo video. I wasn't playing the game at that time. You can easily tell by half of the combos in that video being blockable lmfao. I was playing SFV at the time. 2 years later you can see me start to consistently upload UMK3 because that's when I actually started playing the game seriously. Not one-off times. I really started playing the game in late 2017 after I quit SFV. I recall playing every day with Tim, Burloq, Glitchy, Cien, Vargas, Haze, and Drak at that time.

View attachment 18790

My first message in the old UMK3 discord verifies this too.

This has been a fun trip down memory lane though. Anyway Bass you obviously missed me enough to get my attention, so what's up?

Not much bro, just chillin just found this old set thought it would be nice to post, thats it. Apparently so does everyone else the damn video has 1500 views in 3 days lol. The umk3 community loves my Super OS’ing Sektoro.

Regardless of all that extra stuff u dug up that’s irrelevant other that making it obvious you were not playing 3 months. Biggs i think your an amazing UMK3 player you have grown substantially even since Drews event.

I do have one question tho, do you feel my Super Sektoro’s OS’ing skills are up there or no?

MRIGOTBASS

I cant stream and play because my internet speed is bad, but Im down for some matches. I know you want my "man boobs" badly lol.
Im currently training on MK2 with @jamessmk Pedro and really dont even feel like playing mk3 lol so unless ur going topless on twitch Im declining the offer bud. You can always have ur boy Homberto use his cell phone to stream, me and @Juggs just want to see u in your element in the raw dude. See what u can put together lol

MKK hanzo

Im currently training on MK2 with @jamessmk Pedro and really dont even feel like playing mk3 lol so unless ur going topless on twitch Im declining the offer bud. You can always have ur boy Homberto use his cell phone to stream, me and @Juggs just want to see u in your element in the raw dude. See what u can put together lol
IDK whats "my element" but all good then

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The Glitch Jab OS on strings doesn't translate well sometimes. Some characters like Kabal have slow clHP. I think Kabal's is like 6f compared to the average Elbow being like 4f. Often times you can see crLK's beat Kabal's clHP. because it's slow despite hitting mid. Most of the other characters, like CSub, have a special high or sometimes straight high hitting attack of their clHP. The range required to activate the close version of the normal differs between characters.

All of these factors exacerbate the weakness of the OS. You can't block while doing the close version of HP. If you are too close while attempting to do the OS you are vulnerable. It happens a lot with people trying to meaty Kabal on wakeup. Strings are based on proximity, they can come out even if the opponent is still on the ground recovering. A meaty clHP is mistimed on Kabal's wakeup and he spins you. The OS fails in this instance because you were too close to Kabal when trying to meaty him.

Another example of this OS failing is the whole "most clHP's are special highs/highs" thing. It allows opponents to duck under your high and punish your clHP. It happens all of the time with things like Uppercuts. An instant uppercut is usually required here because your hitbox expands while letting go of the block button, which allows high attacks to hit you even if they would normally miss.

The characters who apply the OS the best are easily Kabal (because Mid string) and Sindel (because range and speed, it basically becomes mid due to the expanding hitbox thing). Then other characters with popups on clHP like Ermac, CSub, Reptile, etc. Then everyone else.
Do you have access to the frame data? I think RemZ at one point attempted to compile a list of frame data, but I have no clue where that went.

Anyway, I guess I would need to test this OS more thoroughly. In my experience, when someone is doing this OS with Kabal for example (which very few people actually do it or perhaps even know about it), if I actually get the cLK out, they’ll just block it due to the GJ’s. If I don’t get it out I get sucked into the combo (since I’m not blocking bc I’m trying to crLK). So at best I just get them to stop for a moment. So are you saying the best option to defend against this OS is to uppercut? It makes some sense, but like I said, I’ve never really been able to test ways to counter it. Also as I said, it’d be really helpful if I had access to some frame data.

i've got an app on my phone for UMK3 Frame Data. I guess it's accurate. I can't seem to find frame data on the web but it's on this app for some reason.

It's called: Frame Data of UMK3

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Do you have access to the frame data? I think RemZ at one point attempted to compile a list of frame data, but I have no clue where that went.

Anyway, I guess I would need to test this OS more thoroughly. In my experience, when someone is doing this OS with Kabal for example (which very few people actually do it or perhaps even know about it), if I actually get the cLK out, they’ll just block it due to the GJ’s. If I don’t get it out I get sucked into the combo (since I’m not blocking bc I’m trying to crLK). So at best I just get them to stop for a moment. So are you saying the best option to defend against this OS is to uppercut? It makes some sense, but like I said, I’ve never really been able to test ways to counter it. Also as I said, it’d be really helpful if I had access to some frame data.
Yeah, I have frame data and have posted some for the characters I play on this forum. You shouldn't Uppertcut vs Kabal because his cl.HP is a mid. Best option as always is usually glitch jab. Counter jab your opponents pressure. From a distance crLK and sweep are powerful bc Kabal can't punish sweep. Pretty much everyone has been doing OS for years, maybe you aren't familiar with it because it doesn't really apply to HSmokes gamplay