What's new

UMK3 Revision 1.3 Public Beta 2 drops October 6, celebrating 22 years of the release of UMK3

With UMK3's 22nd Birthday on the Horizon, there's a 2nd public beta of UMK3 Revision 1.3 coming! It will drop October 6 to celebrate The last (and best!) of the 2D/Digitized MK games. Here's what you need to know about the latest changes!

- REVERTED CHANGES - Character select screen background and fatality sound clip are now original from factory.

- FACTORY FIXES:
Bells on Bell Tower stage restored!

Skull on right side edge of Scorpion's Layer restored!

AAMA Advisory screen no longer clipped on right side of screen.

Scorpion/Kitana/Jade/Reptile WIN Announcement corrected to MK3 announcer's voice!

Noob Saibot announced as "Toasty!" instead of "Kano Wins" when picked on select screen (Feel the power of Toasty!)

Classic Sub Zero given a babality input

Human Smoke and Classic Sub Zero now get proper announcement when performing Mercy in 3rd round!

Sektor (least battled character in arcade mode) replaced duplicate entry of Liu Kang on Master II Tower where Liu Kang is the 2nd and 5th battles.

Factory fixes from previous beta include -
Scorpion/Smoke "Get over here" no longer clipped by blood.

Ermac has babality input

Desert stage right hand side is shifted a few pixels so mame and LCD screen converted cabinets don't show broken background.

Motaro's green blood from MK3 restored

P2 Sektor can now fire dumb missile when homing missile is out.

P2 Jax can charge LK and dash punch.

Noob no longer stage locked

Robot Smoke sparks during "finish him" like Sektor and Cyrax

Many fixes to character, fatality, and vs screen palettes.

These are just the factory fixes. Full change log to be released with Public Beta 2.01 on October 6!!

@NSR @haketh @mkholic @NinjaGrinder
@dubson
@MRIGOTBASS
@9.95
@Shock
@YOMI REO
@McLOV1NS
@Drakonian
@nwo
@ddy_08
@YourMKArcadeSource
@Platinum Shinobi
@Mikemetroid
@MKillBill
@Trukuu777
@dubson
@STORMS
@NoDoubt
@Juggs
@Tim Static
@Biggs
@ClevelandMenace..JAX WINS
@DemoniChris
@necoarc12
@Konqrr
@Kensidj
@Horde
@EdFig81
@BustaUppa
@Dank_Sinatra
@THTB
@jamessmk
@Ziggy
@UndefinedRican
@ComboMaster7
@Stew
@AnTi
@Younng734
@MRIGOTBASS
@Biggs
@RM AtK!

@CRAZY DOMINICAN @MRIGOTBASS @OUIJA WARRIOR @Shock @Juggs @Ziggy @UndefinedRican @YOMI REO @GokuRen @GoldenOreos @KIKI AKA GAME @HSB SKILLZ @He Is Close @dubson @Dank_Sinatra @9.95 @DC HUSTLE @ETHIOPIAN 514 @marvirrasta @w1nter warz @MKK hanzo @MKillBill @Twin Paradox @Mane @Hspeed @NobilityV3 @ComboMaster7 @Goblin Bones @mistaKM @Annihilator83 @BustaUppa @AnTi @iSwampy @darxyde @wazz @oBryant @Remz @Onewhite1Gold @Ninja Ryo @Shaney @Lex @DarKNaTaS @Tim Static @QuiGonZel @X820 @Br0ken @Pikachu @SweetJohnnyCage @RollTide8569 @Dreamcatcher @EdFig81 @Grindfox @Plinko Chip @Nitrogoose @AC1984 @Professor_Rouse @TRIGGAVELLii @DoctorRouse1.0 @crazylebanese @ashapeshifter @JOHNNY ERMAC @xhChrishx @Lucky Day @fugee don @BuhRock v2 @Killmaim420 @skateblind @Rin Andrechentov

but kara jabs
but learn the game. Kara jabs have been in the game forever - it's the glitch jabs (standing and punching the air while holding block) that people hate. It's a frustrating but braindead strategy, and can be beaten. Of the top 5 in my tournament of 17 players this past april, NONE of them were compulsive glitch jabbers. @NoDoubt, miss spin, @McLOV1NS, @DemoniChris and myself.

AND, Kara jabs can be performed in TE! just not glitch jabs.

This isn't a balance/gameplay hack. This is to fix/complete the game. There may be an option down the road in the CMOS to disable to ability to glitch jab, but it's absolutely not being hard coded.

Reactions: NSR

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
but learn the game. Kara jabs have been in the game forever - it's the glitch jabs (standing and punching the air while holding block) that people hate. It's a frustrating but braindead strategy, and can be beaten. Of the top 5 in my tournament of 17 players this past april, NONE of them were compulsive glitch jabbers. @NoDoubt, miss spin, @McLOV1NS, @DemoniChris and myself.

AND, Kara jabs can be performed in TE! just not glitch jabs.

This isn't a balance/gameplay hack. This is to fix/complete the game. There may be an option down the road in the CMOS to disable to ability to glitch jab, but it's absolutely not being hard coded.
No one new will ever pick the game up with glitch jabs and the top tier lol its impossible. I've tried, many times. Once they get to that stage of fighting against glitch jabs, jab infinites, Kabal/Smoke/Ermac... yeah they forget about the game.

No one new will ever pick the game up with glitch jabs and the top tier lol its impossible. I've tried, many times. Once they get to that stage of fighting against glitch jabs, jab infinites, Kabal/Smoke/Ermac... yeah they forget about the game.
Nobody's making you play. I picked it up in 2013 and have made my way towards the top. Dealt with everything you dealt with.

Honestly with you as a moderator of this site, doesn't seem appropriate for you to beat down/discourage people from playing a game that was more or less the cornerstone of TYM's foundation. @Shock @STORMS @Juggs whatcha think?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Nobody's making you play. I picked it up in 2013 and have made my way towards the top. Dealt with everything you dealt with.

Honestly with you as a moderator of this site, doesn't seem appropriate for you to beat down/discourage people from playing a game that was more or less the cornerstone of TYM's foundation. @Shock @STORMS @Juggs whatcha think?
Mike absolutely understands the importance of UMK3 and the classic MK games in general when it comes to the foundation of the NRS scene but I would say it's probably not the best place to talk about gameplay flaws in a thread that's not about the gameplay. However, one might say that being able to input and never release the block command while attacking is a glitch that should be fixed like anything else.

Edit: I should add, this is a fantastic set of fixes and I can't wait for more/would like to work on some.

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I'm simply critizing that there a much bigger problems with the game other than sektor being the least played AI in arcade mode, nothing more.

Sektor was CHOSEN to replace the 2nd instance of Liu Kang on the same arcade ladder, that was the logic behind it.

The ability to Kara Jab and ability to glitch jab was in MK1-MK4. There will be an option to disable it for players like you who can't adapt and want to get bodied by the players that don't need it, LOL.

If I can add that in as an option, we'll enable it and play a FT10 ok @Mikemetroid ? Or we could just play FT10 on whatever version of TE you're best at.

These are factory fixes, not driven based on your opinion.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Sektor was CHOSEN to replace the 2nd instance of Liu Kang on the same arcade ladder, that was the logic behind it.

The ability to Kara Jab and ability to glitch jab was in MK1-MK4. There will be an option to disable it for players like you who can't adapt and want to get bodied by the players that don't need it, LOL.

If I can add that in as an option, we'll enable it and play a FT10 ok @Mikemetroid ? Or we could just play FT10 on whatever version of TE you're best at.

These are factory fixes, not driven based on your opinion.
That would require us to be at the same offline event, maybe KombatKon next year? I don't play the game like you guys do but hey if it gets your blood pumpin' and gives the game hype why not (still won't change the fact that vanilla UMK3 is whack af). Also, me saying the game is whack doesn't translate to "I'm better than you guys".

I think that's closer to you and I've been trying to go. I'll agree i'm being a dick right now but uh yeah I'm not touching this game online. Especially trying to play the game modded online.

Cienfuegos

When I put ice on, I am Sub-Zero
No need to get your panties up in a bunch over kara jabs or glitch jabs, they're certainly beatable. I picked this game up in 2014 and the jabs haven't affected the way I view the game. What does affect this game however, is the salty additudes and complaints over jabs. What you're doing is encouraging newer players to use that tired ass excuse of 'oh kara jabs break the game' all the while you don't even play the damn game lmao.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Too many stubborn opinions and lack of understanding why and how. I'd like to see more suggestions for fixes and touch ups talked about in this thread and less posturing about gameplay, who can beat who, why people don't play the game, why people shouldn't examine the flaws in the game.

Cienfuegos

When I put ice on, I am Sub-Zero
Agreed @Shock big fan. Going back on topic, I've tested Revision 1.3 a few times and I'm liking it (Thanks @tehdrewsus big fan). Would even like to have some type of MAME tourney once the beta goes public.
Anyone that's interested in a tourney or beta testing is more than welcome to join our UMK3 discord.
Here is the invite link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/QYD6QcN

Too many stubborn opinions and lack of understanding why and how. I'd like to see more suggestions for fixes and touch ups talked about in this thread and less posturing about gameplay, who can beat who, why people don't play the game, why people shouldn't examine the flaws in the game.

On that note, I'll be releasing the full change log when the beta drops on Friday. Meantime, here's a few pictures...

nwo

Noob
@nwo can we work together on making this a recognized mame version? like juggernaut hack and TE?
When do you think it'll be done? Maybe we could add this hack + others like the Ultimate Cup Edition by @KOHR and any others, in like January 2018? I'd finish the hack or get close to it or it'll be pointless. Any updates / changes you make and MAME will stop recognizing it.

Early 2018 would be a 3 year anniversary of the 2k15 MAME .119 edition and it's good to not have too many bs versions floating around.

When do you think it'll be done? Maybe we could add this hack + others like the Ultimate Cup Edition by @KOHR and any others, in like January 2018? I'd finish the hack or get close to it or it'll be pointless. Any updates / changes you make and MAME will stop recognizing it.

Early 2018 would be a 3 year anniversary of the 2k15 MAME .119 edition and it's good to not have too many bs versions floating around.

2nd public beta will be released in a matter of minutes. For now at least it's the last big update until a final beta.

@nwo I have mine publicly released. I'm going to PM you the download link.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice thread, speaking of UMK3. It can run on SNES classic which is awesome lol. Once I'm ready I'll post a thread on it.