What's new

UMK3 Post Patch (MKAK)

ChuckFiasco

"I'm the 12th best Sub-Zero player in the world."
how does the umk3 on the AK compare to the one that used to be on the marketplace?

really wanna play it again but i only ever saw footage prepatch
I've never played the old UMK3 from the marketplace. But the version on MKAK AFTER the patch plays pretty good.

MKK hanzo

I played Marvin who lives in Miami and the connection was VERY good.

odd stuff: SOMETIMES my LK button wich is mapped to LB in my Hori VXSA would NOT register even if I mash on it BUT it will always work while doing specials (Kabal spin, NW SR etc).

And the button is NOT faulty I entered SSF4 training and did like 1 hour of tests and pushes and NEVER got an input miss.

Weird

Noob
I played Marvin who lives in Miami and the connection was VERY good.

odd stuff: SOMETIMES my LK button wich is mapped to LB in my Hori VXSA would NOT register even if I mash on it BUT it will always work while doing specials (Kabal spin, NW SR etc).

And the button is NOT faulty I entered SSF4 training and did like 1 hour of tests and pushes and NEVER got an input miss.

Weird
It's definitely a documented issue... the main reason I went crazy and likened playing UMK3 online to using an Atari 2600 controller is because of just that... the cr. LK doesn't work the way it should and its only online when it happens.. and it's not just cr.LK... it happens to a lot of inputs.. including BLOCK!

MKK hanzo

It's definitely a documented issue... the main reason I went crazy and likened playing UMK3 online to using an Atari 2600 controller is because of just that... the cr. LK doesn't work the way it should and its only online when it happens.. and it's not just cr.LK... it happens to a lot of inputs.. including BLOCK!
Thanks Phil, I thought it was an Stick issue.

shark

Noob
I live in Brazil and MKAK is unic chance to fight with other country players!!

There is a bit of delay... but is playable!!

Mame only for same country players!!! =)

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster

A bit of delay doesn't = equal "playable". The game was meant to be played at 53.5 FPS. Now it might be playable to YOU depending on your characters, but there are several characters in trhe game that are drastically altered and nullified by that "little bit of delay". Cyrax for example, Ermac's 50%+ combos get reduced to the 30's%, H Smoke's 3 hit linker stop working, NightWolf's multiple axes become nearly impossible, many punishers completely whiff, late Air Fans/fireballs don't come out until grounded, Kabal's JK/AFBx3 corner becomes impossible, Stryker's infinites, relaunchers.....

......the list goes on and on. My point being, the fact that you can sit there and mash out combos and do a few things w/ the game doesn't make it "playable". The other main thing is if c.LK barey works as IS, how can it work to any useful extent in delay thus preventing any possilbe way to stop rushdowns unless you anticipate ahead of time. Try fighting an invisible Homo-Smoke in a bit of delay just enough to make Teleport uppercut safe on block. There's nothing playable about that garbage.

Don't say the word "playable", people. It's absolutely an oxymoron. Games should be played at the speed they were programmed to be played at, nothing else.

He Is Close

The Puppet Master
I knew it was something wrong with c.lk's :/ also I use the analog and d-pad to play and it feels like the analog has a few dead zones, feels the same offline also, tested with 4 new different controllers

MKK hanzo

c.Lk doesn't work well, or c.lp in MK2. I was holding back with Jax (go figure) and held down and he kept walking back and I lost a match because of it (no it wasn't MK2 walk cycling). This makes MK2 pretty awkward in close kombat, not that it needs much help with that. But sweep and uppercut are about the only viable ducking or low normals up close now if there is any amount of lag, unless you are already ducking.

The amount of lag is usually good enough to avoid this but it definitely happens.
that happens on original arcade hardware as well. And MOSTLY if you use a japanese stick or even a pad. It happens on ALL MK games except 4.

[MENTION=10041]shark[/MENTION]

Man Im going to add you to test the conections. I am from Venezuela

shark

Noob
A bit of delay doesn't = equal "playable". The game was meant to be played at 53.5 FPS. Now it might be playable to YOU depending on your characters, but there are several characters in trhe game that are drastically altered and nullified by that "little bit of delay". Cyrax for example, Ermac's 50%+ combos get reduced to the 30's%, H Smoke's 3 hit linker stop working, NightWolf's multiple axes become nearly impossible, many punishers completely whiff, late Air Fans/fireballs don't come out until grounded, Kabal's JK/AFBx3 corner becomes impossible, Stryker's infinites, relaunchers.....

......the list goes on and on. My point being, the fact that you can sit there and mash out combos and do a few things w/ the game doesn't make it "playable". The other main thing is if c.LK barey works as IS, how can it work to any useful extent in delay thus preventing any possilbe way to stop rushdowns unless you anticipate ahead of time. Try fighting an invisible Homo-Smoke in a bit of delay just enough to make Teleport uppercut safe on block. There's nothing playable about that garbage.

Don't say the word "playable", people. It's absolutely an oxymoron. Games should be played at the speed they were programmed to be played at, nothing else.
playable does not mean perfect!

If you think that is devaluing versions 8bits for example, which is playable but limited!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
A bit of delay doesn't = equal "playable". The game was meant to be played at 53.5 FPS. Now it might be playable to YOU depending on your characters, but there are several characters in trhe game that are drastically altered and nullified by that "little bit of delay". Cyrax for example, Ermac's 50%+ combos get reduced to the 30's%, H Smoke's 3 hit linker stop working, NightWolf's multiple axes become nearly impossible, many punishers completely whiff, late Air Fans/fireballs don't come out until grounded, Kabal's JK/AFBx3 corner becomes impossible, Stryker's infinites, relaunchers...........the list goes on and on. My point being, the fact that you can sit there and mash out combos and do a few things w/ the game doesn't make it "playable".

Well yeah, it's playable for him. Just as you didn't specify that it's you that have a problem with "Ermac's 50%+ combos, H Smoke's 3 hit linker, NightWolf's multiple axes become nearly impossible, Kabal's JK/AFBx3 corner becomes impossible, Stryker's infinites... etc, in delay. Those aren't impossible or hard for everyone in delay. So to some people, the delay they experience can be playable. "Playable" is subjective. Someone's meaning of "playable" could differ from yours, and yours from theirs.

Not a big deal though, just wanted to point that out.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Well yeah, it's playable for him. Just as you didn't specify that it's you that have a problem with "Ermac's 50%+ combos, H Smoke's 3 hit linker, NightWolf's multiple axes become nearly impossible, Kabal's JK/AFBx3 corner becomes impossible, Stryker's infinites... etc, in delay. Those aren't impossible or hard for everyone in delay. So to some people, the delay they experience can be playable. "Playable" is subjective. Someone's meaning of "playable" could differ from yours, and yours from theirs.

Not a big deal though, just wanted to point that out.
On some connections it's impossible, but what I'm saying is that "playable" is a relative term. I don't think the term "playable" should even exist cuz if u aren't playing the game at proper speed, ur not even playing the actual game, it's just a look-alike that plays similar. "Playable" means 53.5 FPS for UMK3, nothing else, which is why most of the best players don't like online.....the better you are, the more those little changes affect your game, typically. Some people can adapt and use other tactics to improvise, but the fact is, we shouldn't HAVE TO. Someone might have a slightly delayed game and call it "playable" while the other person may think it's an absolute abomination of frame-traps and nonsense. Add that to a game that already has trouble reading inputs consistiently OFFline, and u get another piece of shit that will soon be in the $2.99 bin at your local carwash.

Using the term "playable" is basically us settling for less than we should have, rather than telling MK Team that the game doesn't run properly and we want what we paid for, we are telling them "That is acceptable until u get off your lazy asses to fix it. We will pay you in advance for something you may or may NOT fix eventually."

I expect a higher standard from everyone who grew up with these games.....it's not hard for them to fix a game from 1995 with this technology. We just need to get on them about doing it and make SURE they listen to our suggestions.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
On some connections it's impossible, but what I'm saying is that "playable" is a relative term. I don't think the term "playable" should even exist cuz if u aren't playing the game at proper speed, ur not even playing the actual game, it's just a look-alike that plays similar. "Playable" means 53.5 FPS for UMK3, nothing else, which is why most of the best players don't like online.....the better you are, the more those little changes affect your game, typically.
That's what playable means for you. You keep stating what playable means as if it only means what you say it means. Even after you say it's a relative term.

Some people can adapt and use other tactics to improvise, but the fact is, we shouldn't HAVE TO. Someone might have a slightly delayed game and call it "playable" while the other person may think it's an absolute abomination of frame-traps and nonsense. Add that to a game that already has trouble reading inputs consistiently OFFline, and u get another piece of shit that will soon be in the $2.99 bin at your local carwash.
Right.

Using the term "playable" is basically us settling for less than we should have, rather than telling MK Team that the game doesn't run properly and we want what we paid for, we are telling them "That is acceptable until u get off your lazy asses to fix it. We will pay you in advance for something you may or may NOT fix eventually." I expect a higher standard from everyone who grew up with these games.....it's not hard for them to fix a game from 1995 with this technology. We just need to get on them about doing it and make SURE they listen to our suggestions.
You have to consider the abomination we were given when the MKAK first came out. If you could define "unplayable", just play the pre-patch MKAK online and you'll see the definition manifested for your viewing displeasure. Now, we can actually play the game online with just delay and dropped inputs. Which isn't up to my or others standards, but in comparison to pre-patched MKAK, it's hard to complain.

Noob
That's what playable means for you. You keep stating what playable means as if it only means what you say it means. Even after you say it's a relative term.

Right.

You have to consider the abomination we were given when the MKAK first came out. If you could define "unplayable", just play the pre-patch MKAK online and you'll see the definition manifested for your viewing displeasure. Now, we can actually play the game online with just delay and dropped inputs. Which isn't up to my or others standards, but in comparison to pre-patched MKAK, it's hard to complain.
Or, for those of us who still have the 2006 release, you can play on that, which, at the bare minimum, does not drop inputs like MKAK does...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Or, for those of us who still have the 2006 release, you can play on that, which, at the bare minimum, does not drop inputs like MKAK does...
Yeah, but only for playing people in the USA. If I play someone in another country in 2006 UMK3, it's terrible. In MKAK, it's nearly the same connection regardless of where the other player is in the world. So at least now I can play players like Hanzo on a somewhat playable connection.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I get what you are saying, but what would be considered playable about that scenario. One person saying it's playable and the other saying it's not is still not playable. You need 2 people. That's why I also don't think we should use the word "playable" at all

Hard to complain about a half-assed fix job to a game that was less than half-assed? Idk about you but I'd be complaining until it's at LEAST better then the previous ports, and then try and get them to do a HDR or some shit besides re-selling us the games we bought 5 times in a row already. I got like 5 versions of UMK3 and they all "suck". How can you be patient with these people after this fuckery?

I guess what i am saying is it just needs to be perfect, because nothing else will do. REALLY we should have had a slight rebalancing, but the LEAST we could get is the actual product itself.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Hard to complain about a half-assed fix job to a game that was less than half-assed? Idk about you but I'd be complaining until it's at LEAST better then the previous ports, and then try and get them to do a HDR or some shit besides re-selling us the games we bought 5 times in a row already. I got like 5 versions of UMK3 and they all "suck". How can you be patient with these people after this fuckery?

I guess what i am saying is it just needs to be perfect, because nothing else will do. REALLY we should have had a slight rebalancing, but the LEAST we could get is the actual product itself.
I just don't feel it's worth it honestly. It took them 5 months to come out with a patch that was needed to make the game even function properly online. So basically, it needed a patch to be played on day 1. And all the feedback we got was from NRS staff, which they had little to do if anything with the MKAK as far as I know. So the creators of the MKAK (Other Ocean) haven't made an effort to communicate with it's consumers at all. The only thing I've even seen from them is when the patch was out, they tweeted that it was out (not first mind you, after everyone basically knew about it already being out) and they tweeted @ me and Tim as well. I mean, I'm grateful that they made this kollection, it's just a half assed attempt in my opinion. The older MK's never get the time and dedication they deserve. Look at 3sO. So much time, effort and money went into the production and execution of it. You can tell they deeply respected the game, and deeply appreciated the fans of the game enough to put all of their hard work and passion into making 3sO as awesome as possible. To me, the MKAK seems like they thought it would be a good idea, which it is. But instead of investing time and money (which NRS SHOULD have gotten WAY more involved in this), it's like they just slapped this together and released it without testing anything.

A lot this could have been avoided if they had some UMK3/MK2 veterens and high level players actually TEST the shit before it was released. Like MK9, first time they had high level players test an MK game in years and look how well that turned out. Sure it wasn't really to test the functionality of the online play, but my point is still valid. If Shock, 9.95, Arion, Tim, Myself, etc would have tested the netplay, do you really think we would have given it the go ahead? No, we would have told them it was unplayable and would have helped them in every way possible. Not only with the netplay, there's a lot of other stuff that could have been easily avoided that just pissed me off. Everything just screams laziness and lack of dedication. So until they establish some type of communication, I don't really care about the MKAK anymore.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Everything just screams laziness and lack of dedication. So until they establish some type of communication, I don't really care about the MKAK anymore.
But that's just condoning them putting out garbage like this and we as consumers are allowing ourselves to be treated like this by the corporations. They already HAVE your money. Thinking like that is just going to let this type of unacceptable nonsense happen again.

ChuckFiasco

"I'm the 12th best Sub-Zero player in the world."
I just don't feel it's worth it honestly. It took them 5 months to come out with a patch that was needed to make the game even function properly online. So basically, it needed a patch to be played on day 1. And all the feedback we got was from NRS staff, which they had little to do if anything with the MKAK as far as I know. So the creators of the MKAK (Other Ocean) haven't made an effort to communicate with it's consumers at all. The only thing I've even seen from them is when the patch was out, they tweeted that it was out (not first mind you, after everyone basically knew about it already being out) and they tweeted @ me and Tim as well. I mean, I'm grateful that they made this kollection, it's just a half assed attempt in my opinion. The older MK's never get the time and dedication they deserve. Look at 3sO. So much time, effort and money went into the production and execution of it. You can tell they deeply respected the game, and deeply appreciated the fans of the game enough to put all of their hard work and passion into making 3sO as awesome as possible. To me, the MKAK seems like they thought it would be a good idea, which it is. But instead of investing time and money (which NRS SHOULD have gotten WAY more involved in this), it's like they just slapped this together and released it without testing anything.

A lot this could have been avoided if they had some UMK3/MK2 veterens and high level players actually TEST the shit before it was released. Like MK9, first time they had high level players test an MK game in years and look how well that turned out. Sure it wasn't really to test the functionality of the online play, but my point is still valid. If Shock, 9.95, Arion, Tim, Myself, etc would have tested the netplay, do you really think we would have given it the go ahead? No, we would have told them it was unplayable and would have helped them in every way possible. Not only with the netplay, there's a lot of other stuff that could have been easily avoided that just pissed me off. Everything just screams laziness and lack of dedication. So until they establish some type of communication, I don't really care about the MKAK anymore.
My thoughts exactly!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Played some UMK3 on MKAK online. Then switched to 2006 UMK3. The online for 2006 is MILES better. Like it's so much better. In MKAK I can't anti-air anyone with any type of consistency. So people are jumping like retarded scrubaroo's and I just stand there taking the JK's. I won't be playing much of the MKAK until it gets another online patch.