What's new

UMK3 from MKA Premium Pack: Initial Reaction

UMK3 PS2 questions:

I havent played the PS2s UMK3 emulation that comes with MKA, I dont have a PS2! only xbox.

But I have some questions about its quality:

1. Is the sound crisp and clean or is it muffled like regular MK3(MAT2)?

2. do the shaddows flicker?

3. Once you enter in the UKK, does it save it so you dont have to do it again ever time you play? I found it odd that MK3(MAT2) would save the winning streakes, oh but it wouldnt save smoke.

4. Does random select work? did they learn not to make the options menu to be triggered with the start button?

5. does the blood actually make a splatter sound when it hits the floor this time?

6. do you think the bugs will be improved for the XBLA version? something tells me no, boon stamped the label "arcade perfect" onto this, even though its not, so why would he have something fixed that he labels as "Arcade perfect"?

I have a whole list of bugs found on MK3(MAT2) that I would like to check to see if theyve been fixed this time around, but I dont have it with me, Ill see if I can get it later.

kombat_veteran said:
UMK3 PS2 questions:

I havent played the PS2s UMK3 emulation that comes with MKA, I dont have a PS2! only xbox.

But I have some questions about its quality:

1. Is the sound crisp and clean or is it muffled like regular MK3(MAT2)?

2. do the shaddows flicker?

3. Once you enter in the UKK, does it save it so you dont have to do it again ever time you play? I found it odd that MK3(MAT2) would save the winning streakes, oh but it wouldnt save smoke.

4. Does random select work? did they learn not to make the options menu to be triggered with the start button?

5. does the blood actually make a splatter sound when it hits the floor this time?

6. do you think the bugs will be improved for the XBLA version? something tells me no, boon stamped the label "arcade perfect" onto this, even though its not, so why would he have something fixed that he labels as "Arcade perfect"?

I have a whole list of bugs found on MK3(MAT2) that I would like to check to see if theyve been fixed this time around, but I dont have it with me, Ill see if I can get it later.
Many of your questions have been answered already. If not in the first post, then in the replies below.

no,
there were no references to the sound's actual quality, only that it "drags".
There were no references to flickering shaddows, only that the characters disappear sometimes. No one has addressed these questions yet, atleast not in this thread. Im hoping someone who has the game can answer if these bugs are still a problem the second mk emulation around.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
kombat_veteran you are being belligerent. I'm asking you to cut out the obviously aggressive attitude towards everyone who responds to you when you make a poor assumption, or don't read.

If there were flickering shadows, I'd mention it.

The problems that still shine through and tinny sounds and overall glitchiness of emulation. I am sorry that wasn't intensely specified.

Between this and MKT, I'd stick to the latter for sure. I had no issues with the previous emulations of MK1 and MKII since the gameplay was spot on, but the slowdown here is a real drag.

Why Midway stuck with Digital Eclipse after one poor job after another is rather puzzling (well, cheap labour..). It's just a shame really, especially after being treated to perfect emulations of more taxing games from Capcom and Namco. Heck, Namco emulated Tekken 3 (fully uploaded onto the main memory but with streaming music).

yeah, midway/digital eclipse have been doing a half assed job at emulating the MKs. They shouldv taken more pride in it, mk is one of midways greatest games ever.

I say we find some really good independant developers(not professionals, just some talented ameteur developers who should be working for rare, midway, microsoft etc. who would be willing to emulate umk3 right,maybe they could put it in their portfolio), and hire them to emulate mk right, maybe sell it on ebay or on the black market or something lol. who cares if theres no packaging to go with it, I could take care of that. just an idea tho, too bad no one would actually get behind this idea.

Well I start playing it again, I found a couple more things. If you watch the supreme demonstration there are sound bugs galore, and it's very choppy. The transitions are poor. I don't know if this was in arcade but sometimes when it transitioned to the next fatality, the sprite of the new character is the the color of the old one for a frame.
EXAMPLE Sindel hair wrap fatal - sektor flame thrower fatal. Sektor will be look glitchy purple for the first frame or so. It reminds me the 'jade' glitch from MK1 where the characters look kind of green.

Also, It appears the MAME glitch is in this version.

Br26

Noob
I played this on the PS2 version. The music sounds really old compared to XBL's music, and there were some glitchy spots as well. Gameplay wise i didnt notice anything, but I very much prefer Xbox Lives version compared to this one.

The select screen glitches occur at the same times they do in MAME. After you unlock the hiddens, just play 1 player a couple times.

MKK hanzo

I was doing some testing on this.

If you play 2 on 2, all smoke characters on N00bs dorfen you wont notice any significant slowdown. I have been testing on wich stages the game slow down the worst and I have to say the church and the graveyard are one of the worst.

Kunglao and his combo seems to cause some slowdown to due to the lots af blood and speed of it.

Still testing.

dreemernj

Ambassador
MKK hanzo_hasashi said:
I was doing some testing on this.

If you play 2 on 2, all smoke characters on N00bs dorfen you wont notice any significant slowdown. I have been testing on wich stages the game slow down the worst and I have to say the church and the graveyard are one of the worst.

Kunglao and his combo seems to cause some slowdown to due to the lots af blood and speed of it.

Still testing.
The church makes sense since you have the dancing candles in front of the characters. I wonder if the tombstones add something extra to the graveyard. It is kind of unique that they have the text that changes.

RZP, I don't think there's a blood option for this UMK3.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Those are the same problems on older computers with mame. The Temple has a lot of colors I think as well.

NaD

Noob
DAVE101 said:
I was going to comment on this. The most noticble thing was infact the music.

I guess UMK3 on the MKA disc is okay gameplay wise, but the features suck. There is no random select and no way to change the controls. The psx trilogy setup is good but I can't have run as any of my left triggers. I need run as a right trigger. I couldn't get more than 2 cycles of kung lao corner inf because it's so hard to do the combination with the run button on the same side as the directions. Unfortunately it does not save the unlocked characters. This is not for 'tournament play' simply because of the demanding way you must play.

UMK3 is on the regular armageddon disc but only comes with the Premium edition. I don't know why they just didn't use the regular disc for armageddon and put UMK3 on the bonus disk.

EDIT: here's that short clip of the human smoke transformation. It looks like there is just a premature flame.
http://uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/28220240541.wmv

how come the video dont work i want to see it.

I still cant believe how much they slacked off with this... not being able to save the hiddens and no changing of the button assignments. Damn, would that have taken more than a day to do?

:(

Tim Static

Adminerator
I got the Premium pack and played it strictly on my PS3 and its the worst of ALL the MK emulations by DE.
Lets not forget this is a PS2, so shitty quality should have been expected. I'd rather play the MAT:EP for my PSP.
Too bad this Premium edition wasnt on the Xbox. At least that machine has proven its more powerful to handle those emulations.

Mgo

Noob
sorry for revive a decade old post but i was trying it.. the game run at 30 fps?? and in mame is 60..