What's new

UMK 3 Player Influences

Now I've always said I'm an average player but the tips and videos on this site have helped me tremendously in becoming a better, more competitive player. Have there been any players that you have learned from and helped you get better? Of course, the UMK 3 originals who helped revolutionize the game get all the credit for how far the game has progressed today and they don't need to list influences.

Watching videos of Action KungFu's Kitana got me interested in playing/learning her. One day, I tried to use Crazy Dominican's style with Kitana and won a whole bunch of ranked matches, but I couldn't keep it up after that as he is really aggressive and my own style is more defensive.

For Sindel, I picked up some things from dreemernj, but I'm not nearly as good.

I don't know anyone who really plays Jade so I'm learning her on my own.

I generally observe people who consistently beat me and try to mimic certain strategies that they do. I try and pick up one new thing every time I play. Frankie has helped me a lot giving me real advice and tips, especially a couple months ago. Jokalk more recently showed me some things. What you said about kitana is funny cause I tried to litteraly copy crazy's and IMO I have one of the best now.

I loved watching vids of Julian's Sektor.

Crazy Dominican's Kabal is what really inspired me to get competitive. I always wanted to land a Kabal corner combo after he did it to me in a random ranked match, and that's when I stopped playing as Stryker.

I saw one of Shock's matches (I think the ermac and reptile vs liu kang and kano) and I saw at the end when he juggled Liu Kang. I knew that I wanted to teach myself how to do that. No matter what it took.

Other than that I kinda make stuff up as I go along :p

Now I'm less of a competitive player. I just love big combos or cool combos, so when you play me you'll see that's all I go for :lol:

The only thing i could tell you guys is just be yourself, and don´t try to play like a other guy ^^ take a little from others players and create a monster, example: i saw hanzo playing UMK3 With Kabal, and saw some matches then take some moves and use it against him ^_^ and sometimes like to play with reptile using the Ded_´s Infinity

abc ur dead0 said:
My Reptile is self taught. One of my Few character's I have as my own true style.
I think all my characters are self taught. I use bits of pieces to mix my own style.. like my Kabal, I use a bit of Bill's style from what I've seen.

Again, this topic isn't about "who's style do you copy?" I have my own style and how I play also depends on my opponent at the time. One of the most important skills in a fighting game is adjusting to your opponent's style. If you do the same tactics all the time, you will become predictable and get beat.

This topic is more about influences like who has inspired you to play a certain character. Yes, you may pick up a thing or two about how they play to help develop your own style but that is far from straight out trying to copy someone.

One of ded's match videos (Reptile vs Ermac) inspired me to master the juggle infinite combo cause it looked so fucking badass, and that subsequently made Reptile one of my mains.

so I'll say ded. He's just overall amazing at this game.

mr lex KUNG LAO i watch he's video all day b4 i hop on mk he's kung lao is crazy!!! !!! lol and almost everyone from here :lol:

Tim Static

Adminerator
DC HUSTLE 106 said:
jax is not played by many people im one of the few who use him.
True. My Jax is nowhere near yours, but he is my main.
My thing is I cant get that autocombo on the 360 controller off for shit, but on sticks, its no problem.

Rush, rush, rush. Backbreaker, backbreaker, backbreaker. :D

DizGirlWillOwnU said:
mr lex KUNG LAO i watch he's video all day b4 i hop on mk he's kung lao is crazy!!! !!! lol and almost everyone from here :lol:
oFF - tOPIC: IF that your pic¿? you´re a princess ^_^

On-Topic: noone like my Hsmoke? (Sniff) :cry:

I forget who it was but I saw a vid on youtube, and this kabal totally made me want to play as kabal.. but I never really got to it.

rzp said:
DizGirlWillOwnU said:

your hsmoke is probably one of the best.

rzp said:
DizGirlWillOwnU said:

yep