What's new

UltraDavid & James Chen speak Injustice 2 at EVO on UltraChenTv (pre-EVO)

Shaka

Tier Whore.
On July 11th, the UltraChen show took a deep dive into Injustice 2, especially with @UltraDavid . UltraDavid was the captain of this coversation. He discussed the overall community vibe and community discussion around 'who is the best character' and the predicaments players have been jumping to. Keep in mind that this was recorded before EVO and after CEO.

With that said, UltraDavid makes predictions about what would happen at EVO. Check it out and see if he was right!

ultrachen.png

Some timestamps...
  • 0:26: Predicaments of who's the best (characters) - UltraDavid
  • 4:10: SonicFox, who can beat SonicFox - Chen
Mention of THEO, Slayer, FOREVER KING, Dragon, TekkenMaster, Whiteboi, AF0xyGrampa for consistent players

• 5:55: It's the deepest the NRS scene has ever been - UltraDavid
edited/promoted by STORMS*

Last edited by a moderator:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
"Nobody really knows what's going on. Calm down."

"Sonic is probably the best. Others are very strong too."

That's it. It's a good promo.
Thanks. Gonna give it a watch when I get home. I can definitely agree with both points.

Here's some other things we know. There was not a Swamp Thing, Captain Cold, Blue Beetle or Gorilla Grodd even close to the top 8.

Other characters had either 1 or 2 notable players who made it through pools only to hit a brick wall against Aqua's and Adams, characters like Braniac, Cheetah, Joker, and Firestorm.

Even in Grand Finals the most notable Flash player decided he would rather try the Aquaman mirror than try to deal with the Flash vs Aqua match up.

Certain small fixes could really improve the game's balance. Few would argue I2 needs a complete overhaul to be balanced. These changes should probably happen sooner rather than later in order to keep the game alive not just for the pros but for the online players that make up the majority of the playerbase. I tried playing Swamp Thing for a week straight and dear God I feel bad for Swamp Thing mains. I played Aquaman for 1 hour and I was already more effective than Swamp Thing in almost every match up.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
UltraDavid is mah man, but he's usually overly optimistic about low->low mid tier characters early in games.

I remember when he thought the meta of MKX was going to change to be less offense/rushdown/50-50 based on its own :cool:

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Here's some other things we know. There was not a Swamp Thing, Captain Cold, Blue Beetle or Gorilla Grodd even close to the top 8.

Other characters had either 1 or 2 notable players who made it through pools only to hit a brick wall against Aqua's and Adams, characters like Braniac, Cheetah, Joker, and Firestorm.

Even in Grand Finals the most notable Flash player decided he would rather try the Aquaman mirror than try to deal with the Flash vs Aqua match up.

Certain small fixes could really improve the game's balance. Few would argue I2 needs a complete overhaul to be balanced. These changes should probably happen sooner rather than later in order to keep the game alive not just for the pros but for the online players that make up the majority of the playerbase. I tried playing Swamp Thing for a week straight and dear God I feel bad for Swamp Thing mains. I played Aquaman for 1 hour and I was already more effective than Swamp Thing in almost every match up.
Are you listening to yourself? you can't have 30+ chars in top8! that's mathematically impossible, even if all players switched chars every match that would be 8x3 24.

if you wanna look at the whole picture look at top16 at least.

Are you listening to yourself? you can't have 30+ chars in top8! that's mathematically impossible, even if all players switched chars every match that would be 8x3 24.

It's not just about top 8. It's about character representation in general. Swamp Thing was shown once on stream. As far as i know Captain Cold didn't have any streamed matches. Now, it's a big tournament so there were probably players here and there playing these underrepresented characters and probably even holding their own against the "top tier" in fact lots of mid tier characters are probably viable in a tournament setting but only if you wanna work twice as hard for the same results.

I don't think I'm being particularly controversial here unless you think its still too early to say which characters are strong and which might need some help.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it

Ik you're just messing around, but I had to do this since this is the first time I've felt like saying anything in public the last couple days and I have to go with it lol. There's a total of 10 sets minimum in top 8 and each set is 3 to 5 games, with the potential for an 11th set. So 1 set = 3 games(to make it simple) with the potential to see 4 different characters out of those 3 games. So 1 set = 3 games = 4 chars, or simply just 1 set = 4 different characters. Out of the 10 guaranteed sets in a top 8, 40 unique characters could potentially be played if every game in the top 8 was a 3-0 and the loser changed after each loss. This is with the minimum amount of sets/games played :c

I mean we don't have 40 chars, but still lols

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
It's not just about top 8. It's about character representation in general. Swamp Thing was shown once on stream. As far as i know Captain Cold didn't have any streamed matches. Now, it's a big tournament so there were probably players here and there playing these underrepresented characters and probably even holding their own against the "top tier" in fact lots of mid tier characters are probably viable in a tournament setting but only if you wanna work twice as hard for the same results.

I don't think I'm being particularly controversial here unless you think its still too early to say which characters are strong and which might need some help.
Games have bottom tiers, that's nothing new. And mid tiers have to work twice as hard to beat top tiers. That is also nothing new.

I certainly think the balance could be a bit better, but I can't think of a single game where every character is tournament viable and no characters have to work harder than others.

Games have bottom tiers, that's nothing new. And mid tiers have to work twice as hard to beat top tiers. That is also nothing new.

I certainly think the balance could be a bit better, but I can't think of a single game where every character is tournament viable and no characters have to work harder than others.
I don't disagree with you. We had these same discussions during MKX's tournament life. Some really great improvements were made. Not everyone agreed with every change but I think most people would agree most characters had at least 1 tournament viable variation by the end. Those changes didn't happen because everyone playing Simply said "That's life there will always be low tiers" Thats not really a way to make a better fighting game.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
I don't disagree with you. We had these same discussions during MKX's tournament life. Some really great improvements were made. Not everyone agreed with every change but I think most people would agree most characters had at least 1 tournament viable variation by the end. Those changes didn't happen because everyone playing Simply said "That's life there will always be low tiers" Thats not really a way to make a better fighting game.
There were still high and low tiers. It's in the nature of the beast. you can't change gravity.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Another thing I forgot to say: props to UltraDavid for riding with our community. He gets blown up every year about how he's supposedly not really into it; but yet, here he is. He's been commentating in spots and places where there's less prestige, rather than just the big stages.

I don't think there should be any doubt at this point, and his vibe helped make Saturday finals a more pleasant experience. So, see you around the way, partner (but good luck with that Scarecrow Struggle ;))

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN

I have been labbing Swamp thing daily since release.... and my Aquaman was better after 90 minutes of training mode + casuals.

NRS dropped the ball so hard on this character :(

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN

Alex and FANG (easily bottom 2) are the only characters who weren't really represented much in SFV at EVO. And even then, Xian has bopped plenty of ppl with FANG in the past. That's pretty close to be fair.

As an Alex main I feel the pain when playing Akuma, Rashid, Cammy and a few of his other bad MUs. But I will say that an uphill battle in Street Fighter is NOTHING compared to a counterpick in NRS. You can legit lose to ppl walking backwards and abusing 1-2 moves in NRS games if they have decent spacing and a solid counterpick. You can legit lose to a less talented or less technical player if the MU is bad enough in NRS games if your opponent knows how to exploit it.

I have never lost to a player who is noticeably worse than I am at any Street Fighter game, no matter how bad the MU.

It won't be perfect--and I2 is a step in the right direction from IGAU and MKX--but Christ if NRS doesn't need to start hiring in the QA & balancing dept.

Another thing I forgot to say: props to UltraDavid for riding with our community. He gets blown up every year about how he's supposedly not really into it; but yet, here he is. He's been commentating in spots and places where there's less prestige, rather than just the big stages.

I don't think there should be any doubt at this point, and his vibe helped make Saturday finals a more pleasant experience. So, see you around the way, partner (but good luck with that Scarecrow Struggle ;))
Its pretty obvious Ultradavid likes the game. He could of easily got the spot with James Chen commentating SFV but he chose to commentate Injustice 2 and I love the chemistry him and KP have together.

At this point its undeniable so I agree Crimson. Big up to Ultradavid.

Redk9

Noob

You make such a good point. This community confuses me. On one hand they complain that they aren't taken as seriously as the "Capcom mainstays" but on the other hand are very dismissive of people from that community that present their opinion, especially Ultra David. You'd think having such a prominent and insightful commentator from more popular fighting games would be welcomed.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Ultra David and Chen are both making such great points and essentanly explaining what me and others said all along. The game is just over two months old, there is a lot of stuff that need to be discovered in the game, and every time there was a character that people thought it was broken, they found ways to deal with that character. And it can very possibly happen with Aquaman right now.

These guys are very much important to the NRS community, and Ultra David doesn't enough credit for what he does for our community. He should get much more respect then he does.

Alex and FANG (easily bottom 2) are the only characters who weren't really represented much in SFV at EVO. And even then, Xian has bopped plenty of ppl with FANG in the past. That's pretty close to be fair.

As an Alex main I feel the pain when playing Akuma, Rashid, Cammy and a few of his other bad MUs. But I will say that an uphill battle in Street Fighter is NOTHING compared to a counterpick in NRS. You can legit lose to ppl walking backwards and abusing 1-2 moves in NRS games if they have decent spacing and a solid counterpick. You can legit lose to a less talented or less technical player if the MU is bad enough in NRS games if your opponent knows how to exploit it.

I have never lost to a player who is noticeably worse than I am at any Street Fighter game, no matter how bad the MU.

It won't be perfect--and I2 is a step in the right direction from IGAU and MKX--but Christ if NRS doesn't need to start hiring in the QA & balancing dept.
I won't go into another argument but I will just gave you both this one message and that's it.

IJ2 doesn't need an overhaul, you guys just overreact. Like I said above, as well as Ultra David and Chen, any character that was thought to be broken, people found ways to fight that character. And that's because NRS didn't patch the game until now. I'm not saying that back when NRS patched MKX there were no changes that could've been done, but AT LEAST some of the changes were clearly made just because the community were crying to much and for to long. At then end MKX has become the most balanced MK game to date, but the community cried to much when they shouldn't have. Now NRS haven't patched game at all, people were crying about Atro and Adam and what not, and look what happened.

Also regarding Swamp Thing and Captain Cold and such, IJ2 has over 30 characters and it's barely 2 months old with a lot of potentially undiscovered tech (like David and Chen said) and it didn't had any balance patch until now, while SFV doesn't have that many characters and of course it is a much older game that has had a few updates by now, that's not a fair comparison. And about the feeling of balance in SFV, maybe it's just because (no offense) you're just not good enough in IJ2 like you are in SFV? Just saying.

Also Honey Bee picked Aquaman not because of the balance but because Dragon got into his had in after their previous set, once HB managed to shake it off he went back to Flash and he got much better results, but Dragon's mind game have worked.

And finally, QA has nothing to do with Balance. QA is all about checking the general functionality of the game and finding bug in it, not checking the balance of the roster.

That's it. This will be my only comment on that matter in that regard.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
IJ2 doesn't need an overhaul, you guys just overreact. Like I said above, as well as Ultra David and Chen, any character that was thought to be broken, people found ways to fight that character. And that's because NRS didn't patch the game until now. I'm not saying that back when NRS patched MKX there were no changes that could've been done, but AT LEAST some of the changes were clearly made just because the community were crying to much and for to long. At then end MKX has become the most balanced MK game to date, but the community cried to much when they shouldn't have. Now NRS haven't patched game at all, people were crying about Atro and Adam and what not, and look what happened.

Also regarding Swamp Thing and Captain Cold and such, IJ2 has over 30 characters and it's barely 2 months old with a lot of potentially undiscovered tech (like David and Chen said) and it didn't had any balance patch until now, while SFV doesn't have that many characters and of course it is a much older game that has had a few updates by now, that's not a fair comparison. And about the feeling of balance in SFV, maybe it's just because (no offense) you're just not good enough in IJ2 like you are in SFV? Just saying.

Also Honey Bee picked Aquaman not because of the balance but because Dragon got into his had in after their previous set, once HB managed to shake it off he went back to Flash and he got much better results, but Dragon's mind game have worked.

And finally, QA has nothing to do with Balance. QA is all about checking the general functionality of the game and finding bug in it, not checking the balance of the roster.

That's it. This will be my only comment on that matter in that regard.
A) No one was saying "these broken characters need an overhaul!" If anything, @PetulantWaste and I both said the game doesn't need a big overhaul.

B) NRS community gonna cry regardless. That's every game. Every fighter has it's fair share of whiners, NRS just gets the brunt of that stereotype given how many casuals jump on board.

C) SFV only has 5 less characters than I2. Some ppl would argue the release version of SFV was/is more balanced than it is now. It's obvious you don't know much about the game. Anyone who plays both will tell you SFV is MUCH more balanced than I2. Whether it's a better fighter or not is completely subjective, but there is nothing in any recent SF game that even halfway resembles the struggle of the Swamp Thing v Deadshot MU.

D) QA does affect balance. When moves don't work properly on trade (ST's MB clone), when attacks don't hit character models properly (Robin's F3, Swamp's F233/F2, character specific combos, etc.) all tie back to testing and absolutely affect balance--even if it's not a direct A=B relationship.

No one is hating on the game. I'm simply saying that as a lifetime Capcom player (and diehard Injustice 1 and 2 player) the balance in this game is DEFINITELY an improvement, but there is still a LONG way to go before the risk/reward, meter management, damage, and matchup balance is where it needs to be for the game to stick around and have the longevity a lot of Japanese fighters have.

If you took that commentary as whining for patches, I'm sorry but you missed the point.