What's new

Ultimate Mortal Kombat on the DSi XL

I'm a perfectionist, and I love arcade games. So I'm one of those guys who loves to play them pixel-perfect. And maybe this was just me, but I always wondered how UMK would look on the DSi XL; I wasn't sure if the new screens had different native resolutions, if they did how well was the upscaling, would the image have been stretched and blurred and just wondering how it would've looked in general. Well I finally bought one, and it's like I have a portable arcade cabinet in my pocket. Going from the DS Lite to the XL was a huge difference for me. Even though the screens are the same resolution as before (so UMK still has a bit of scrunchy-ness to it), the bigger screens do such an amazing job they practically make it unnoticeable. There are zero viewing angle problems, whatsoever. The D-Pad now feels more like a set of 4 buttons with a plastic arrow on top of it versus the old one which makes it easier to do combos and fatalities with, and just feels much better in your hands (like something else I've got, SCHWING). I am just super pleased overall, my DS was collecting dust but that's all changed now. It's so awesome I even made a vow to catch me some Pokemanz. I'm not sure how well you can see it, but wanting to show the difference I made a video of it (incase anyone had the same questions I had).

http://www.youtube.com/v/_03nF6IQbQE?fs=1&hl=en_US

There is a downside though, they crippled the online multiplayer pretty bad in the sense that it's no different from the old DS. But UMK specifically was my reason for upgrading the DS and it was absolutely worth it.