What's new

Guide Ultimate BD3/F3/J3 Combo Guide

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
When I first started using Frost like a week ago, I went to the Killer Frost combo thread and after playing reading it and playing her for a bit, I was dissapointed to see like all the combos I saw that people posted used jump ins which added unnecessary damage and was confusing me as to what was viable in an actual match. I learned that the primary moves that land were Slide/BD3, F3, and J3. Slide is amazing any way you look at it and F3 is the peanut butter to the Slides jelly, they just are amazing on one character. J3 is the best jumping move she has and it has great cross-up potential. So I decided to document and record every single one of the combos that I use regularly now.

***CURRENTLY UPDATING DUE TO PATCH 1.05***

****BD3 STARTER***

NO METER OR TRAIT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 METER NO TRAIT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 METER AND MID COMBO TRAIT (TRAIT VERY CLOSE TO FULL)

2 METER AND MID COMBO TRAIT (TRAIT VERY CLOSE TO FULL)
BD3, u3, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 22~MB Grab, b1u3, u3 x5, 22~Grab = 44%

***F3 STARTER***

NO METER OR TRAIT

1 METER NO TRAIT

f3, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 2~Slide, u3x8 22~Iceberg = 50%
F3, u3, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 11b2~Slide, u3 x7, 22~Iceberg = 52% (wall carry)
F3, u3, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 2~Slide, u3 x7, 22~Iceberg = 52%

F3, u3, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 11b2~Slide, u3 x7, 22~MB Grab, NJ2, 2 reset = 52% (wall carry)
F3, u3, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 2~Slide, u3 x7, 22~MB Grab, NJ2, 2 reset = 52%

***J3 STARTER***

NO METER OR TRAIT

1 METER NO TRAIT

J3, 2~Slide, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 22~MB Grab, b1u3, u3 x4, 11b2~Daggers = 48% (wall carry)
J3, 2~Slide, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 22~MB Grab, b1u3, u3 x5, 22~Grab = 49%
J3, 2~Slide, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, 22~MB Grab, b1u3, u3 x6, 22~Iceberg = 50%
J3, 2~Slide, u3, 2~MB Iceberg, TA, u3 x8, 22~MB Grab = 56% (difficult)

If I made any errors in relation to the video or your video please tell me. I hope this helps some people as well who were as confused to her as I was the first time.

If a combo is not in the video or listed in the OP, it will be in a lower post as I will not add combos that dont have video evidence.

-LD50-

In a relationship with Killer Frost
I always did j3, d1 xx bf3, not just j3, bf3. Not sure if yours does more or less damage or what, I don't even know how much damage I do when I do j3 starts heh

Also feel like it cuts more slack / makes it safer online. Not that it's easy to drop or anything

ApertureBlack

Nice work once again!

Also, does delaying the MB for Iceberg help in the mid-trait combos?
Ive found that the timing for the 4 is much more natural after the delayed MB, as you press 4 nearly right after they get impaled and are going upwards. Without the delay its some time after they get impaled. It may provide the illusion of a larger window, when in reality its simply a timing preference. I for one find it easier with a clear visual clue when in reality its actually the sound.

Also, you have basically helped alot with opening my mind to the viability of mid trait combos. I thank you for that.

I always did j3, d1 xx bf3, not just j3, bf3. Not sure if yours does more or less damage or what, I don't even know how much damage I do when I do j3 starts heh

Also feel like it cuts more slack / makes it safer online. Not that it's easy to drop or anything

I honestly dislike the input system when it comes to comboing with any Down 1 commands as you have to go back into the neutral position in order for the next command to come out. Its strictly a preference issue but I tend to have trouble with the wonky input. Your variation does 2-3% more I believe. You can do whatever you want to add damage if you can properly execute it.

Shawi
Reptile Orion

I made this more for the players who want to learn Frost with the tools she should be using. When I first started using Frost I learned the hard way that stuff like b1 is slow and very punishable, using some of her jump ins recklessly isnt safe unless crossup unlike other chars, and that her AA game is very poor. This is just meant to clarify the use of her most useful tools as well as combos that are extremely damaging while also having some slack on execution.

Thanks for the encouraging words though, I actually won a local using most of these, didnt drop a single one of the mid trait ones :) People didnt know what I was doing when I didnt activate my trait.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
I made this more for the players who want to learn Frost with the tools she should be using. When I first started using Frost I learned the hard way that stuff like b1 is slow and very punishable, using some of her jump ins recklessly isnt safe unless crossup unlike other chars, and that her AA game is very poor. This is just meant to clarify the use of her most useful tools as well as combos that are extremely damaging while also having some slack on execution.

Thanks for the encouraging words though, I actually won a local using most of these, didnt drop a single one of the mid trait ones :) People didnt know what I was doing when I didnt activate my trait.
I primarily use Bats and Aquaman. For the past few weeks I've been working with Cyborg and Catwoman but looking to add Killer Frost to the mix. I'm still trying to determine who will be my 3rd major.

I do like the fact that KF has a projectile (only if Catwoman had a zoning tool....), a ground spike, and more suited for rush down. It seems she still has options if she can't get in on an opponent.

My main goal is to find another character that can go toe to toe with the rest of the cast. Between Cy, Cats, and Frost who fills that void?

ApertureBlack

I primarily use Bats and Aquaman. For the past few weeks I've been working with Cyborg and Catwoman but looking to add Killer Frost to the mix. I'm still trying to determine who will be my 3rd major.

I do like the fact that KF has a projectile (only if Catwoman had a zoning tool....), a ground spike, and more suited for rush down. It seems she still has options if she can't get in on an opponent.

My main goal is to find another character that can go toe to toe with the rest of the cast. Between Cy, Cats, and Frost who fills that void?

Frost is a rushdown character, hands down.

Based on your roster right now, Id say you lack a zoner. Having a trio of rushdown characters isnt exactly the broadest of options. I suggest Sinestro or Raven, as Sinestro gets buffed literally every patch and Raven is an anti zoner who functions as a high level zoner as well.

Not to discourage learning Frost.

Shawi

Noob
Shawi
Reptile Orion

Thats awesome man. I main Shazam and literally decided yesterday that I want to make frost my secondary/joint main, so this video is right up my street. The only thing I really have SOME trouble with, is the U3 online. I also feel like after a f3, most characters can immediately jump, or move, but frost seems like she is stuck for a small second after it connects - weird.

ApertureBlack

Thats awesome man. I main Shazam and literally decided yesterday that I want to make frost my secondary/joint main, so this video is right up my street. The only thing I really have SOME trouble with, is the U3 online. I also feel like after a f3, most characters can immediately jump, or move, but frost seems like she is stuck for a small second after it connects - weird.

Dat Shazam pride, Regardless, good choice.

U3 is ballz online, as the timing offline is somewhat tight already.

Regarding her F3, it is insanely fast and has deceptive reach, but it does suffer some lag afterwards. Its one of the few F3 in the game that you cant jump after the opponent effectively, not that Frost is amazing in the air.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Frost is a rushdown character, hands down.

Based on your roster right now, Id say you lack a zoner. Having a trio of rushdown characters isnt exactly the broadest of options. I suggest Sinestro or Raven, as Sinestro gets buffed literally every patch and Raven is an anti zoner who functions as a high level zoner as well.

Not to discourage learning Frost.
Great opinion. It's funny that you mentioned Sinestro because I have spent some time in practice mode learning the character. Any thoughts on Cyborg?

ApertureBlack

Great opinion. It's funny that you mentioned Sinestro because I have spent some time in practice mode learning the character. Any thoughts on Cyborg?

Cyborg is a heavy execution zoner who has nearly no options up close. Be prepared to get stuck in the corner alot as he is literally a pure zoner with no really up close options. He is still a good character, but his learning curve and lack of reward in some areas makes him not exactly the best choice. I dont nessisarily hate him, but I prefer zoners who have a mediocre close up game rather then none at all.

-LD50-

I honestly dislike the input system when it comes to comboing with any Down 1 commands as you have to go back into the neutral position in order for the next command to come out. Its strictly a preference issue but I tend to have trouble with the wonky input. Your variation does 2-3% more I believe. You can do whatever you want to add damage if you can properly execute it.

In this case you can do BD1 xx 3 and it will do a d1 into bd3, you dont have to go back to neutral.

By the way thank you so much for this thread. By now i already know most of this stuff but I wish this thread existed when I first started playing KF because its extremely clear + helpful.

ApertureBlack

In this case you can do BD1 xx 3 and it will do a d1 into bd3, you dont have to go back to neutral.

By the way thank you so much for this thread. By now i already know most of this stuff but I wish this thread existed when I first started playing KF because its extremely clear + helpful.

You can, just tested that. I do have trouble though with the input still, probably just me. Ill stick without it, I dont exactly need a small damage increase with Frost. Kudos to you though if you can land it.

Thanks for the thoughts once again, I appreciate the support here. Im just a bit used to the Sinestro forums where I posted and many other posted stuff like this alot. Killer Frost forums are a bit quiet.

-LD50-

You can, just tested that. I do have trouble though with the input still, probably just me. Ill stick without it, I dont exactly need a small damage increase with Frost. Kudos to you though if you can land it.

Thanks for the thoughts once again, I appreciate the support here. Im just a bit used to the Sinestro forums where I posted and many other posted stuff like this alot. Killer Frost forums are a bit quiet.

Yeah i had a hard time with the input on a controller. no probs now that i have a hitbox :D

and yeah KF forums theres plenty of community but it seems like less resources / new threads compared to other character forums.
glad you figured out the best place to be :p

ApertureBlack

I think the next step is discussing when and how to use her trait

Well for me, the general idea for charging is:

When finishing with mid air hit daggers, you have enough time for about 1/4 to 1/3 of a trait.
When you want to make someone who isnt a zoner stop turtling.

The general idea for using trait mid combo is:

After an early combo DB2(MB), this allows you to follow up with either a slide or u3 to start the loop.
After an early B3 or BBMB, this allows you to slide and catch them while they are falling.

Her trait is like a Bizzaro Sinestro trait, instead of making her moves safe, it makes her already safe moves deal ridiculous damage if she has 1-2 meters ready to burn. Its probably why I switched mains from Sinestro to her, though the little red devil still gets some love.

ApertureBlack

Everyone, I am going to continue to post combos/videos that are all possible off of these 3 starters.

***BD3 Starter***

1 Meter No Trait
BD3,U3 x 2,2,DB2(MB),B3,BF1 = 40% ALREADY IN OP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Meters Mid Combo Trait
BD3,U3 x 2,1,DB2(DELAYED MB),U3 x 7,2,2,DBF2(MB),J2,F1,1,2,4 = 60% ADDED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***F3 Starter***

1 Meter No Trait
F3,BD3,U3,2,2,DBF2(MB),J2,1,1,1,BF1 = 40% ADDED

Anyone who is willing can post a combo not listed with video and it will be added to the original post. I encourage any of you to step up to the plate and show everyone what you've got using BD3/F3/J3. Make sure to provide evidence of your combo.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
ApertureBlack GGA 16 Bit xKhaoTik Jer RiBBz22

Update to ApertureBlack's combos with ones that are much easier to start the trait into u3:

f3 starter:

f3, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x10, 1~Slide, 22~Iceberg (60%)
f3, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Slide, u3 (58%) **
f3, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Slide, 22~Iceberg (59%)

j3 starter:

j3, 2~Slide, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x10 (64%) **
j3, 2~Slide, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Iceberg (66%)

b3 starter:
b3, j3, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Slide, u3 (62%) **
b3, j3, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Slide, 22~Iceberg (63%)

NOTE: You can substitute j2 for j3 after the wall bounce to make the combo easier but you lose around 3%.

Slide Starter:

Slide, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x10 (61%) **
Slide, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Iceberg (63%)

MB Parry Starter:
NJ2~f113~Slide, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x10 (65%) **
NJ2~f113~Slide, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Iceberg (66%)

** u3 is a hard knockdown which allows you to do ub~air dash j1~111 into either HC Slide or Trait for +15 and vortex

NOTE: You can do u3x10 and still get 11 or 2 into Iceberg for around 1.5% more damage on all combos.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
ApertureBlack GGA 16 Bit xKhaoTik Jer RiBBz22

Update to ApertureBlack's combos with ones that are much easier to start the trait into u3:

f3 starter:

f3, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x10, 1~Slide, 22~Iceberg (60%)
f3, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Slide, u3 (58%) which is a hard knockdown then ub~air dash j1~111 into either HC Slide or Trait for +15 and vortex
f3, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Slide, 22~Iceberg (59%)

j3 starter:

j3, 2~Slide, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x10 (64%) which is a hard knockdown then ub~air dash j1~111 into either HC Slide or Trait for +15 and vortex
j3, 2~Slide, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Iceberg (66%)

Slide Starter:

Slide, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x10 (61%) which is a hard knockdown then ub~air dash j1~111 into either HC Slide or Trait for +15 and vortex
Slide, u3, u3, 2~Iceberg MB, Trait, u3x9, 22~Iceberg (63%)
#WINNING

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Updated My OP, Ill get around to caps locking everything eventually lol.

If you made a vid of those, im sure many people would be appreciative.
I recorded them and I hope they look ok... my laptop is really old so the videos don't encode well sometimes. I'll know when it uploads to YouTube and if it's good I'll post it here.

ApertureBlack

ApertureBlack

Great thread guys.

These combos are fun. I haven't had much chance to do them in a real fight but when I do it feels good.

Got around to adding and caps locking your combos as well a adding the video to the OP.

I welcome any more from anyone.