What's new

TYM Updates

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@RoboCop
Congrats on the new goals man, this is huge and i think the site deserves new fresh air.

I will be here to make as much positive contributions as possible.
I came this close to tagging you in my previous post as the site's resident Skarlet expert, but didn't want to impose lol

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Obviously this is somewhat dependent on the TYM community itself, but I wonder if there would be a way to promote more matchmaking within this site? Like an actual TYM league for various games? It'd be nice if TYM was not just a place to discuss tech and complain about things, but also a way to actually meet people and find reliable training partners.
I really hope this happens. It's going to be a lot of effort so I don't really mind if it ends up being not worth it but I really hope it does work out.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I'd like to go ahead and get some kind of standardized kombo thread pinned at the top of every character forum. It shouldn't be so difficult to find up-to-date kombo information. If users with character kombo knowledge can PM me, I can get that info formatted, posted, and pinned.

The more info I can get, the better the posts will be, but every little bit is helpful. I think this format would work best when submitting your character's info, though you can leave sections blank, like if a character lacks worthwhile 2-bar midscreen kombos:

Loadout (list kustom moves for this loadout)
Midscreen Meterless
Midscreen 1-bar
Midscreen 2-bar
Corner Meterless
Corner 1-bar
Corner 2-bar
Anti-Air Kombos
d2 KB
Fatal Blow Kombos (I'll be listing these separately from the other kombos)
Interactable Kombos
For fun: kombos that end in brutalities.
Repeat for each additional loadout with new kombo variations.

Please include damage numbers, and feel free to include notes, like ending a kombo with move A allows you to follow up with strategy B. You can include "easy" and "difficult" kombos if you like (or "online/offline" kombos). The more info I can get, the better.
Reinstalling so I can get you this stuff for D'Vorah. I'm sure @Second Saint has plenty of information as well, especially Strep setup combo shenanigans as those are his speciality.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Reinstalling so I can get you this stuff for D'Vorah. I'm sure @Second Saint has plenty of information as well, especially Strep setup combo shenanigans as those are his speciality.
You're the best! It doesn't need to be anything too in-depth. My goal is that if someone is looking to pick up a new character, they can quickly reference that character's bnb kombos without having to sift through pages of possibly-outdated content. I suppose D'Vorah is kind of a special case since she's so setup based, so her page is bound to be more complex than other characters.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
@RoboCop How hard do you think it'd be to come up with some kind of ELO style rating system for the site to implement if people were interested in starting a league, or getting more into ranked matchmaking? Obviously it might depend on some kind of honor system with both players needing to accurately report results in a timely manner, but would it be possible to set something up where two players could play each other in a FT5, and after they're done report their score, and then maybe get their new ranking weekly or every two weeks or something?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@RoboCop How hard do you think it'd be to come up with some kind of ELO style rating system for the site to implement if people were interested in starting a league, or getting more into ranked matchmaking? Obviously it might depend on some kind of honor system with both players needing to accurately report results in a timely manner, but would it be possible to set something up where two players could play each other in a FT5, and after they're done report their score, and then maybe get their new ranking weekly or every two weeks or something?
It's just a matter of time and resources, though I'd love to implement something like that. At the very least, I was thinking we could add more user flair for players who are actually competing. So compete in Specific Tournament A, get Flair A. Make Top 8? Get Flair B. Won the tournament? Flair C. Then, when someone with no flair makes a thread crying about Scorpion, and a person with a Top-8 Finalist flair responds, readers know who is the correct source to listen to.

That's not really a matchmaking solution, though matchmaking is a top priority for me (especially as a PC player lol).

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Congrats on new ownership Robo, long live Storms long live RoboCop!

I think that navigation is definitely something that is important, like it's noticeable when the newer characters don't have their nav icon with how little traffic their threads get. Besides just adding portraits for Sheeva and whatnot(FYI pretty sure TYM has always got them right from the "roster" page on the official site), expanding on that idea could help thread variety and character forums get traffic. Maybe even front page links for tournaments like how reddit has sticked threads to help encourage or just consolidate discussion.

Users should be allowed to delete their accounts like any other site! Not planning on doing so at the moment but there's no reason not to have that.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Congrats on new ownership Robo, long live Storms long live RoboCop!

I think that navigation is definitely something that is important, like it's noticeable when the newer characters don't have their nav icon with how little traffic their threads get. Besides just adding portraits for Sheeva and whatnot(FYI pretty sure TYM has always got them right from the "roster" page on the official site), expanding on that idea could help thread variety and character forums get traffic. Maybe even front page links for tournaments like how reddit has sticked threads to help encourage or just consolidate discussion.

Users should be allowed to delete their accounts like any other site! Not planning on doing so at the moment but there's no reason not to have that.
We're still working things out, so nothing is final yet. But thanks for the encourgement! And yes, I think a lot of our content could be easier to find with a bit of streamlining and reorganization.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Congrats! @RoboCop
I actually had an idea I wanted to discuss tourney wise.

a few months ago I spoke to the gentlemen in charge of r/MortalKombat and we talked about the idea possibly founding a Reddit vs tym type of tourney...

thought I’d bring that idea up again here but if not who/where should I take that idea to tym wise?
personally I think it would be a solid and fun idea..

What do yo think? Should I try and reach back out to him to get in contact with you all etc or?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Congrats! @RoboCop
I actually had an idea I wanted to discuss tourney wise.

a few months ago I spoke to the gentlemen in charge of r/MortalKombat and we talked about the idea possibly founding a Reddit vs tym type of tourney...

thought I’d bring that idea up again here but if not who/where should I take that idea to tym wise?
personally I think it would be a solid and fun idea..

What do yo think? Should I try and reach back out to him to get in contact with you all etc or?
That's certainly an interesting idea, and one I would love to look into. Hopefully we can finalize our deal before too much longer and actually get started implementing some of these awesome ideas.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
That's certainly an interesting idea, and one I would love to look into. Hopefully we can finalize our deal before too much longer and actually get started implementing some of these awesome ideas.
Glad you dig it. Should I start reaching out to the r/mk Reddit guys now or did you want me to wait till you all finish your deal etc?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Glad you dig it. Should I start reaching out to the r/mk Reddit guys now or did you want me to wait till you all finish your deal etc?
I'd hold off. Right now I'm in kind of a weird place where I'm an admin, but I have no idea what authority I have to make decisions like that lol. I imagine if we can't finalize our deal, I'll be back to being a plain ol' premium supporter.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
This is great news @RoboCop! I hope the deal works out; hoping for the best outcome for all stakeholders. It would be great to see an infusion of energy, as there is still a good, solid core product with this place and lots of potential.

In the short-term, honestly, just get some social media savvy folks to start updating news and events again. TYM feels so out-of-touch with the larger NRS community, it's like an alternate reality. Come in here and be surrounded by folks trying to convince you that MK11 is the worst game ever, dead as a door nail, and to give up all hope. Go outside and see that streams, events, and tourneys are multiplying and there's tons of hype and enthusiasm. Every community needs healthy balance ofc, but right now TYM isn't balanced; it's a dumping ground of complaints. Just having a hub to learn and talk about latest happenings would help restore some balance.

In the longer term, I do hope the character forums and one or more wikis can get some real love. The main advantage a discussion forum has over a Discord or Twitter is the ability to organize information for easy reading, and right now that isn't done. I personally hate character "general discussion" threads; they're basically a worse version of Discord or Twitter; people dump questions or tech there as they pop up, but any great info that's posted is quickly swamped by page after page of shitposts, never to be seen again.

Even just enforcing a few basic topic threads per character would go a long way: variation builds, match-ups, combos. A separate rant/complaint thread if you want, because that stuff is fine but should be minimized in threads people will want to read for reference. Meaty questions should get their own thread for easier searching later, not dumped in "general". The really good stuff ought to be boiled down and saved in a character wiki, if you have loyalists willing to do that kind of thing.

Anyway, lots of great ideas to consider. I like all the ideas about match-making, tournament presence, all of that too; but I like the idea of focusing on things that discussion forums are uniquely good for, as opposed to some things like Discord, Twitter, etc. do just as well if not better.