What's new

TYM, please sign this petition to close Best Buy during the coronavirus outbreak. I need your help.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I normally don't discuss my work on TYM, but I am the senior repair person at my local Geek Squad (subsidiary of Best Buy). Our CEO decided that we are remaining open "at full capacity" during the current crisis. I disassemble, handle, and repair computers every day, maybe 10-20 at a time. People do NOT clean their devices. People are unsanitary and their devices are even worse. I normally wear gloves anyway when I work, but we are dealing with an elevated situation right now.

Best Buy needs to close. Our CEO does not care about our safety. The current policy is: if you want to stay home during the outbreak, you won't get in trouble but you have to use your PTO, which is fucking insulting right now. We're only given a certain amount of Paid Time Off hours every year. Full-timers, like myself, get much more PTO than part-timers, and Best Buy mostly employs part-timers. As a result of this shit policy, many people will either 1) stay home and not get paid or 2) RISK THEIR LIVES IN A FUCKING RETAIL STORE OF ALL PLACES. Best Buy is not essential. Please sign the petition below and read the VICE article below it. I'm not risking my life - not even for a 0.1% chance - for Best Buy.

https://www.change.org/p/bestbuy-board-of-directors-close-all-bestbuy-stores-canada-us?signed=true

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y3mkvx/best-buy-working-full-capacity-coronavirus-risks?fbclid=IwAR1ipz7jQrviaL-cO6eCXIyCIlvQS3DRED2OhB7F9p3lmnswXL4xYjWY7dA

Thank you

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's kinda messed up from all sides.. Like employees shouldn't be exposed.. But then what about the people who are dependent on this week's paycheck to feed their family? Like, it might be that they either work this week or their kids might not eat. That's crazy.

It's just unfortunate anyway you look at it and no matter what you do.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
It's kinda messed up from all sides.. Like employees shouldn't be exposed.. But then what about the people who are dependent on this week's paycheck to feed their family? Like, it might be that they either work this week or their kids might not eat. That's crazy.

It's just unfortunate anyway you look at it and no matter what you do.
I have no doubt that Best Buy can at least afford to pay its full-timers for 2 weeks like other companies are doing. Best Buy is one of the few retail giants that can keep up with Amazon.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Thank you, guys. Keep em coming, please!!!

Best Buy: Starting Wednesday, store hours will be reduced to 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time, but the company says it "will revisit on an ongoing basis the decision to remain open with shorter hours." Then on March 23, the company plans to use curbside pickup and limit access to stores, including only allowing 10 to 15 customers in at a time.
^ For YOUR own job security and health, I think this is a reasonable call, yes?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I have no doubt that Best Buy can at least afford to pay its full-timers for 2 weeks like other companies are doing. Best Buy is one of the few retail giants that can keep up with Amazon.
That's true. And I really hope they do.. But after 2 weeks, you wonder what will happen. This is expected to last at least 8 weeks on the low end.. It's just a big giant mess.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021

^ For YOUR own job security and health, I think this is a reasonable call, yes?
There's a literal epidemic, so I really don't think it's reasonable to remain open whatsoever. Best Buy can afford a 2 week break. We should be closed. I work in the busiest Best Buy in New Jersey, right next to Manhattan. I assist people from New York City, Jersey City, and Newark, NJ This place is gross. People are gross. People's devices are unsanitary. Do you clean your computer or phone with alcohol, especially when dropping it off for repair? Probably not. People are gross. The inside of their devices are often gross. Even before this whole coronavirus thing, I'd normally wear gloves anyway. I've seen dead bugs inside computers, living cockroaches, ants, etc. People cover their computers and phones with their biological remnants on them. People eat over their computers. People jerk off with their computers.

Best Buy is not an essential store for survival purposes. Our employees might be young and probably won't experience bad symptoms, but anyone can be a carrier and really hurt someone else.

If this is expected to last at least 8 weeks, that's even more of a reason to be closed! 8 weeks is a long time. This is seriously bad. 8 weeks+!

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
That's true. And I really hope they do.. But after 2 weeks, you wonder what will happen. This is expected to last at least 8 weeks on the low end.. It's just a big giant mess.
Yeah... two weeks seems like a band-aid over the words "don't panic".

@scarsunseen Fairy enough... not trying to upset you BTW... more just looking out for you in a way just because of reading about other people losing their jobs already or getting laid off.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Yeah... two weeks seems like a band-aid over the words "don't panic".

@scarsunseen Fairy enough... not trying to upset you BTW... more just looking out for you in a way just because of reading about other people losing their jobs already or getting laid off.
I didn't take it as you trying to upset me :) It's just a shitty situation everyone is in right now. I think everyone is upset lol.

Wigy

There it is...
The issue in the UK at least is the government not forcing the shut down of unnecessary stores. The insurance doesn't cover your costs if you choose to close to help prevention without the government order.

Basically bars clubs etc all staying open til they're told not to so they don't entirely hemorrhage money.

Signed!

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Wow that's crazy. All these public gathering places need to just end for a while. It sucks but that's how it is right now.