What's new

Guide TYM Cyrax Community Guide

Seapeople

This one's for you
What kind of set ups do people use after u4? You could put out a mid bomb but you cant pressure the opponent onto it if they tech roll. You could AAt to be in their face for pressure but then there's no bomb mix up.

Right now I don't feel like u4 by itself is scary enough to get low hitbox characters to stop blocking low. The set up afterward has to be really effective.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
What kind of set ups do people use after u4? You could put out a mid bomb but you cant pressure the opponent onto it if they tech roll. You could AAt to be in their face for pressure but then there's no bomb mix up.

Right now I don't feel like u4 by itself is scary enough to get low hitbox characters to stop blocking low. The set up afterward has to be really effective.
glad there's move talk about this normal. i really like it.
midscreen much like you said (when u hit a raw u4 or use it as combo ender) the bomb/aat mixups dont yield much,nor are they scary,
because of this my midscreen use of u4 very limited.

in the corner i use it alot as a combo ender when i cant get the b2 splat as ya can still get a bomb out and block any wakeup, took me a bit to cop on you have to do a slight backdash after using it as combo ender in corner or the close bomb will roll to far (im sure this is a day1 setup for alot you guys,especially that it already in the guide lol)

When ever I use it I do a close bomb. If they tech roll dash up and d4 into pressure, if they dont go for a b1 to hold them over the bomb. I dont use this often at all so I kno theres flaws in this. But its something.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Nice find. I just mash it out so I might actually be doing that lol.
I posted that thinking it was just a neat negative edge thing. But thinking more, negative edge should not really do it.
So I went to Kung lao and tried various input patterns with his 21212, and none of them work.
I also was thinking about how with Jax's throw you can do 1+4, 2+3, 2+4 to extend it, and kung laos 21212 can end with the over head if you do 2121212.

So what if the b1211 is a way to start a different part of the command grab?

Seapeople

This one's for you
I posted that thinking it was just a neat negative edge thing. But thinking more, negative edge should not really do it.
So I went to Kung lao and tried various input patterns with his 21212, and none of them work.
I also was thinking about how with Jax's throw you can do 1+4, 2+3, 2+4 to extend it, and kung laos 21212 can end with the over head if you do 2121212.

So what if the b1211 is a way to start a different part of the command grab?
Do you mean like it could have different properties than the normal command grab?

Seapeople

This one's for you
I've finally figured out how the 2nd net vortex works in the corner (some people might already be aware of this, idk). After a long lasting second net, your opponent can't jump, crouch, poke, or even armor out of 21 or the command grab. However since the 21 has to be done immediately, if you try to do 21~net the net won't come out because it's still on cooldown. So the best combo you can get guaranteed is 212.

You could also delay the 21 just slightly which will allow you to do 21~net, but that can be escaped with armor. The opponent still can't poke though, and if they try to jump the 21 will catch them for an AA combo. I hope that all makes sense and maybe helps some people. I think this is the best way to approach the "vortex" in the corner.

I tried it for a minute today and couldn't tell any differences. If you find anything though that would be pretty awesome.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Seapeople
What combo are you using to set up a good 2nd net in the corner? Most of.the times I try I end up getting a net that gives the opponent tons of advantage.

As for the command grab I tried b1211 followed by every 3 button pattern that exists. Some one who plays on a stick should try 1+2, 2+3 etc...

Seapeople

This one's for you
Seapeople
What combo are you using to set up a good 2nd net in the corner? Most of.the times I try I end up getting a net that gives the opponent tons of advantage.

As for the command grab I tried b1211 followed by every 3 button pattern that exists. Some one who plays on a stick should try 1+2, 2+3 etc...
jip 121~net, b2, 2, 121~net
jip 21~net, njp, njp, b2, 2,121~net
Bomb, njp, b2, 2, 121~net, 33~net
Bomb, crossunder b2, deep jk, 21, 121~net, 33~net
Ex ragdoll, d1, 121~net, deep jk, 33~net

Those are the main ones I use. Not sure if there might be better ones.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Ok so I have heard this several times recently that you can jump out of Cyraxs command grab, and that it is character specific. I never bought it and all of my testing has shown that no character can jump out. I have tried every character, even Sheeva, and some alternate costumes, all of them get hit when trying to jump out. I think the real issue is that Cyrax players are just taking too long to hit their jip.

The only problem I can see within my testing is, does holding up+back provide a just frame jump (as in, you jump the first frame possible) or do you have to actually hit up+back to the frame? But as far as Cyrax holding up +forward, and the opponent holding up+back no character has been able to escape.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Ok so I have heard this several times recently that you can jump out of Cyraxs command grab, and that it is character specific. I never bought it and all of my testing has shown that no character can jump out. I have tried every character, even Sheeva, and some alternate costumes, all of them get hit when trying to jump out. I think the real issue is that Cyrax players are just taking too long to hit their jip.

The only problem I can see within my testing is, does holding up+back provide a just frame jump (as in, you jump the first frame possible) or do you have to actually hit up+back to the frame? But as far as Cyrax holding up +forward, and the opponent holding up+back no character has been able to escape.
Interesting info, I'll double check a few things. But make sure you're not using the training modes' "jump" command with a cpu dummy...it never jumps as soon as possible like a human could.

This would be great if no one could really get out of the jump-in punch...obligatory: HE NEEDS IT

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
there are certain characters that I always seem to be able to jump out with.

Also though, remember that if you can't get off a jump punch, you can always do f2 instead. To counter that though, they can just eat the f2, but if you read that you can do f2 xx net, haha. MIND GAMES.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Interesting info, I'll double check a few things. But make sure you're not using the training modes' "jump" command with a cpu dummy...it never jumps as soon as possible like a human could.

This would be great if no one could really get out of the jump-in punch...obligatory: HE NEEDS IT
Yeah I had my brother hold up+back. Ill try out holding just up though, maybe a neutral jump is faster than up+back.

All of my testing was done on xbox 360 with Komplete Edition, using a ps1 and ps2 controller.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Yeah I had my brother hold up+back. Ill try out holding just up though, maybe a neutral jump is faster than up+back.

All of my testing was done on xbox 360 with Komplete Edition, using a ps1 and ps2 controller.
Ok, good news so far: on ps3 I rubber-banded the joystick on the cabinet here at GGA to up-back and an opponent Johnny Cage could not escape the follow-up jump-in punch by jumping out! I think the main issue when people are escaping is that the Cyrax player is not hitting the 1 or 2 early enough in their jump arc, allowing the opponent more time to jump out. The timings' a bit sooner than it looks like it should be, if I were to describe it...but this is great news for the Yellow Death Machine! More testing later, with straight up jumps, forward jumps, armor, ect...

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Ok, good news so far: on ps3 I rubber-banded the joystick on the cabinet here at GGA to up-back and an opponent Johnny Cage could not escape the follow-up jump-in punch by jumping out! I think the main issue when people are escaping is that the Cyrax player is not hitting the 1 or 2 early enough in their jump arc, allowing the opponent more time to jump out. The timings' a bit sooner than it looks like it should be, if I were to describe it...but this is great news for the Yellow Death Machine! More testing later, with straight up jumps, forward jumps, armor, ect...
Neutral Jump, forward jump, crouch, and armor all lose. Testing with 4x4lo8o a few weeks ago raiden can not even teleport out.

I dont have any good CSZ to try and parry but me and my brother both tried and it doesnt work. Even Johnny Cages X ray did not work.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
I'll double check everything eventually on PS3, the 360 has subtle differences (like walking back out of the 2nd hit of Mileena's EX teleport works, doesn't work on PS3), for the sake of sureness.