What's new

TYM Challenge - Built any Mortal Kombat character using this stats rules ver. 1.0

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This is all just for fun, sadly developers and neither does NRS follows this at all, but its a concept of balance where you have a cycle of development but to prevent characters to be overly strong they have to be weaker some where, so i bring you this challenge, where you can fill in stats of your choice and you have a limited number of points to fill characters propriety so here it goes.

The stats will be:

1. Damage: Implies damage output in general such as combo damage and single damage.
2. Mobility: This will imply ground movement speed, backdash, Jump proprieties.
3. Ulility(Specify which): This will imply teleports, Air movement(Dive kick or Dash),Anti-Airs/Pressure, Jump normals, Command grab, Restand, Links, Punishment or Projectiles
4. Defense: This will imply armor in neutral, wakeup on knockdown.
5. Reach: This implies normals reach on hitbox
6. Punishment: This will imply as the game say, punish.

Now here is the thing, all the stats to equip occupy a total of 10 points except for Utility which costs 15 because its the hability + the perk, so all other utility slots will cost 5 more points.

You get a total of 65 stat points to equip those slots initially and then the fun starts.
Once all your stats are equipped, you now have 30 points MAX to fill each one of the slots you gave the character on a scale from 1/10 being the once you equip a stat it takes away 1 point from your total max of points to fill.

You can choose how many stats you can equip either its the whole 65 points or less, remember that less means your character will not have a certain ability.
You can choose on a scale from 1/10 how to fill your character stat meter as long as it doesn't pass 30 points.

Advantages: The higher a stat the better the character is at what he does, but terrible at a direct opposite of same ability.
  • Damage: Higher values means higher damage output (max to 45% meterless at maxed stat) obvioulsy the lower means the oposite
  • Mobility: Higher values means faster walkspeed but terrible recovery on backdashes and slower jump take off yet floatier jump, lower means slower walkspeed but better backdashes recovery faster jump take off yet floatless jump.
  • Ulility: Higher values means faster startup but bad recovery on whiff or block, lower values means slower startup but better recovery.
    • Anti-Airs/Pressure higher values means vertical hitbox for AA but terrible for pressure, lower values, has horizontal hitboxes for pressure but terrible for AA.
  • Defense: Higher values means hits armor/ frames of invincibility on WU highly punishable on block, Lower values means hits armor/frames of invincibility on WU but safe on block.
  • Reach: Higher value means attack is slower but has good reach but terrible recovery on whiff but plus on block, Lower values means attack is shorter but fast and good recovery on whiff but minus on block.
  • Punishment: Highest value, your character has the fastest normal in the game (6 frames) which can lead to insane punishments, Lowest value, your character has the slowest normals in th game (16 frames)
I know its not perfect and we may even find some things contraditory, but i think its a good start and i believe this can be improved in the future by making a good separations of each stuff.

Default Template

Character: *Name of The Caracter*

Stats Slots(55 / 65)
Damage (5 / 10)
Utility
[Teleport](5 / 10)​
Defense (5 / 10)
Reach (5 / 10)
Punishment(10 / 10)

Pick your own stuff and try to apply it, kinda wanna see how you guys pull this off.
Total: 30/30 points

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
think of this as sort of survey you can do as much as you like using existing characters or how you think your main should play in the game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Damage 10/10
Defense 10/10
Punishment 10/10
Yes but who?

Edit: Whoever this character is, he has a good damage output, lots of armor and invincibility but equaly unsafe and best punishment, he also sucks at everything else being his mobility just as ass.

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
Character: Fujin
Stat Slots (55 / 65):
Damage (5 / 10)
Mobility (5 / 10)
Utility
[Air Dash] (4 / 10)
[Anti-Air/Pressure] (4 / 10)
[Projectiles] (4 / 10)
[Teleport] (4 / 10)
[Dive Kick] (4 / 10)

Total Points: 30 / 30

Since Fujin has a lot of established moves he ended up being a high utility character. I tried to balance all of his stats as much as possible also. He wouldn't be particularly great at anything, but he would have a lot of tools to control the neutral as long as you stay on top of the game and really evaluate the character using your match-up knowledge.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Character: Fujin
Stat Slots (55 / 65):
Damage (5 / 10)
Mobility (5 / 10)
Utility
[Air Dash] (4 / 10)
[Anti-Air/Pressure] (4 / 10)
[Projectiles] (4 / 10)
[Teleport] (4 / 10)
[Dive Kick] (4 / 10)

Total Points: 30 / 30

Since Fujin has a lot of established moves he ended up being a high utility character. I tried to balance all of his stats as much as possible also. He wouldn't be particularly great at anything, but he would have a lot of tools to control the neutral as long as you stay on top of the game and really evaluate the character using your match-up knowledge.
Interesting take, so while has a lot of stuff most of the stuff are usually slower, but you seemed to invest more where it matters the most to compensate like having an average mobility at least to compensate the lack of good buttons to have a great sinergy with his zoning. Interesting indeed, first one i liked a lot.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Yes but who?

Edit: Whoever this character is, he has a good damage output, lots of armor and invincibility but equaly unsafe and best punishment, he also sucks at everything else being his mobility just as ass.
Builds meter like crazy, gets out of shit situations for free with armor and is a suicide to try and pressure. idk who tbh. Probably Kintaro.
A character like this does not need mobility, it will blow you up for even trying to attack and punish you for half your lifebar for one mistake.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Builds meter like crazy, gets out of shit situations for free with armor and is a suicide to try and pressure. idk who tbh. Probably Kintaro.
A character like this does not need mobility, it will blow you up for even trying to attack and punish you for half your lifebar for one mistake.
Doesn't really make much sense, Armor is good invincibility on wakeup is good, but its hella unsafe.
Doesn't have mobility or reach(you left those out) or utilities at all, so the only thing he has for him is good armor, good damage and fast startup on normals, but man, everything else sucks.

There is a reason why i put the a counter to each stats you try to fill, having everything at maxed state doesn't mean you will have no repercussions, but thanks for helping, i get to see where this has a flaw.

And also, you gonna have to put a character under that stats otherwise its just too abstract.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Doesn't really make much sense, Armor is good invincibility on wakeup is good, but its hella unsafe.
Doesn't have mobility or reach(you left those out) or utilities at all, so the only thing he has for him is good armor, good damage and fast startup on normals, but man, everything else sucks.

There is a reason why i put the a counter to each stats you try to fill, having everything at maxed state doesn't mean you will have no repercussions, but thanks for helping, i get to see where this has a flaw.

And also, you gonna have to put a character under that stats otherwise its just too abstract.
I know, I did it to help. It's a boss, I did say Kintaro. Or Goro. Or Motaro.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
1. Damage: Implies damage output in general such as combo damage and single damage.
2. Mobility: This will imply ground movement speed, backdash, Jump proprieties.
3. Ulility(Specify which): This will imply teleports, Air movement(Dive kick or Dash),Anti-Airs/Pressure, Jump normals, Command grab, Restand, Links, Punishment or Projectiles
4. Defense: This will imply armor in neutral, wakeup on knockdown.
5. Reach: This implies normals reach on hitbox
6. Punishment: This will imply as the game say, punish.

Now here is the thing, all the stats to equip occupy a total of 10 points except for Utility which costs 15 because its the hability + the perk, so all other utility slots will cost 5 more points.

You get a total of 65 stat points to equip those slots initially and then the fun starts.
Once all your stats are equipped, you now have 30 points MAX to fill each one of the slots you gave the character on a scale from 1/10 being the once you equip a stat it takes away 1 point from your total max of points to fill.

Character:

Stats Slots( 65 / 65)
Damage (6 / 10)
Mobility (7 / 10)
Utility
  • [Command dash/jump] (4 / 10)
Defense (3 / 10)
Reach (3 / 10)
Punishment(7 / 10)

So what I was thinking is a quick in your face character. They have quick close normals so they have one of the quickest punishes (EX: they can full combo punish at -7 while it's usually -9). Damage is slightly above average to compensate for having to get close. Has some really optimized combos that push the upper damage limit but those are from things like whiff punishing or in the corner. A command movement special with several angles that can be used for getting in, altering approach, baits, and pressure. The character has trouble against characters with better neutral and zoning.

If I wanted to include more utility moves would that cost anything besides the 1-10 out of 30 points?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Character:

Stats Slots( 65 / 65)
Damage (6 / 10)
Mobility (7 / 10)
Utility
  • [Command dash/jump] (4 / 10)
Defense (3 / 10)
Reach (3 / 10)
Punishment(7 / 10)

So what I was thinking is a quick in your face character. They have quick close normals so they have one of the quickest punishes (EX: they can full combo punish at -7 while it's usually -9). Damage is slightly above average to compensate for having to get close. Has some really optimized combos that push the upper damage limit but those are from things like whiff punishing or in the corner. A command movement special with several angles that can be used for getting in, altering approach, baits, and pressure. The character has trouble against characters with better neutral and zoning.

If I wanted to include more utility moves would that cost anything besides the 1-10 out of 30 points?
Aditional utility moves cost 5 more points of the initial 65 you're given to equip stats so inside those 65 you have to think if its worth to have more utility and sacrifice other things, in general you can't have all, your character will always have a weakness, once that its filled doesn't matter how many options you've choosen in order to fill those you are given 30 points only.