What's new

TYM Car Thread

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Long tym no see! (See what I did there)

Haven't had too much time for FGs recently but I missed this place too much and thought Id see if anyone else here shares this new hobby of mine, cars!

Post pics, discuss, debate, anything to do with cars post in here!

I currently own a BMW E46 320d mapped to around 200bhp, beautiful car but becoming a bit of a money pit and unfortunately don't have the knowledge to fix her up right now. Doesnt boost at all just kicks back lots of black smoke whenever the turbo tries to kick in.

Also a new owner of a E88 120i convertible and love the gal already. Not quite got the same punch the E46 had but still somehow more fun to drive. Sounds amazing and driving around with the roof down with the nice weather we've had in the UK recently has been a damn experience.

Would love to see some pics of you guys' cars! Any projects? Daily that you adore? Post pics!

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
How do I tell which cars are better engineered than others? I’m normally not a car guy. I like Jettas and Subaru Outback’s.

How do I tell which cars are better engineered than others? I’m normally not a car guy. I like Jettas and Subaru Outback’s.
Nothing wrong with either of those.

If you're not looking for a sports car or a "muscle" car, most entry to md-range models will do just fine for both performance and comfort.

My experience is American cars tend to be on the lower end of the quality spectrum, German tend to be the higher end. There are exceptions, of course.

My family and I used to be a Chrysler family, but switched after I got my previous vehicle, a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT. The quality of the build and performance were simply on another level compared to American cars of the same grade.

Note here in Canada, Hyundai's are manufactured and imported from South Korea directly, while in the US, they're apparently manufactured in Mexico, and as such, their build quality is slightly lesser there. This is what my recent Hyundai dealer informed me of.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Honestly, google is your friend.

Theres plenty of forums for different car manufacturers and just cars in general. You can usually get a pretty good idea of common issues and how much it costs to fix them by doing a bit of research. I've never been a huge car guy until quite recently, but even with the most basic knowledge about cars you can usually figure out if a particular car is going to be worth it.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
One thing: I did play a little bit of Car Mechanic Simulator 2018, and that game was actually a ton of fun. I don't know anything about cars or parts, but it's really interesting to actually see everything. I think they just came out with a Car Simulator 2021 as well. Makes me want to own and run my own garage.

One thing: I did play a little bit of Car Mechanic Simulator 2018, and that game was actually a ton of fun. I don't know anything about cars or parts, but it's really interesting to actually see everything. I think they just came out with a Car Simulator 2021 as well. Makes me want to own and run my own garage.
Didn't even know this was a thing, but not surprised.

Lawn Mowing Simulator just came out...

I just bought this same car 2 weekends ago haha. I’m enjoying it thoroughly so far.
Very cool. Did you go for the Tech Package (The full digital instrument cluster) or pass on that? What body colour and interior leather colour did you go for?

Heard the new Elantra are amazing.
I'm loving it. Considering I'm coming from a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT, which I also loved and maintained, it took a bit to get used to all the modern features.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Very cool. Did you go for the Tech Package (The full digital instrument cluster) or pass on that? What body colour and interior leather colour did you go for?

I'm loving it. Considering I'm coming from a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT, which I also loved and maintained, it took a bit to get used to all the modern features.
Ah, that’s understandable. About the same for me coming from an 06 to a 17. Technology came a long way in cars lol

Ah, that’s understandable. About the same for me coming from an 06 to a 17. Technology came a long way in cars lol
Yeah, it sure has. The only thing I've disabled so far is the lane assist feature where the car actually tries to steer you back into a lane; that was a pain when I was purposely trying to avoid a road hazard. I kept the alarm though.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
When I was 18, I decided I wanted to build some credit, so I put a down payment on a 2016 Honda Civic EXL (in 2018). It gets excellent gas mileage, has been really reliable, and suits my needs (long commutes to work, shit ton of driving in general). It is faster than it needs to be and is really comfortable and decently loaded out. Not my dream car, but my credit score blows out any other 21 year old, it has got me through my first college degree, and into my first big boy job, and I'm sure through my next degree into my bigger boy job. I will get a truck next, nothing crazy, but it will need to be a half ton 4x4 because I love having extra cab space and doing outdoor type stuff. THeeeeeennnnn something closer to a "dream car".

But I will never trade in the Honda, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off. At this point it is just pure capital, I get paid 30 cents to the mile so I literally make money for driving by a pretty good margin. When I get nicer vehicles, it will be great to have a car that wont break down, and that I'm not afraid to use as a work horse and rack up miles. Shit, it might be my kid's first car if I ever have one of those lmao

When I was 18, I decided I wanted to build some credit, so I put a down payment on a 2016 Honda Civic EXL (in 2018). It gets excellent gas mileage, has been really reliable, and suits my needs (long commutes to work, shit ton of driving in general). It is faster than it needs to be and is really comfortable and decently loaded out. Not my dream car, but my credit score blows out any other 21 year old, it has got me through my first college degree, and into my first big boy job, and I'm sure through my next degree into my bigger boy job. I will get a truck next, nothing crazy, but it will need to be a half ton 4x4 because I love having extra cab space and doing outdoor type stuff. THeeeeeennnnn something closer to a "dream car".

But I will never trade in the Honda, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off. At this point it is just pure capital, I get paid 30 cents to the mile so I literally make money for driving by a pretty good margin. When I get nicer vehicles, it will be great to have a car that wont break down, and that I'm not afraid to use as a work horse and rack up miles. Shit, it might be my kid's first car if I ever have one of those lmao
Civic's are insanely well built cars. You maintain that thing, it'll last near forever.

aj1701

Noob

Honda Civics and Accords are great cars. Reliable and great value, fun to drive.