What's new

TYM’s Tier List Discussion Thread

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Semij just won a tournament with Digital Soldier. I am not buying this argument that Cassie is so bad that she can no longer compete. Obviously Semij is a great player, but Cassie has been massively downplayed. She is still good.
I cannot recalling anyone calling Cassie "bad" and suggesting that she is no longer tournament viable. Indeed, Semiij is a great player, but I stand my opinion that Cassie was over-normalized.

I would love to go back and watch / re-watch some of the matches on Twitch, but they are for subscribers only. I hope the entire tournament gets uploaded to YouTube.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I cannot recalling anyone calling Cassie "bad" and suggesting that she is no longer tournament viable. Indeed, Semiij is a great player, but I stand my opinion that Cassie was over-normalized.

I would love to go back and watch / re-watch some of the matches on Twitch, but they are for subscribers only. I hope the entire tournament gets uploaded to YouTube.
There is absolutely no way she isn't at the very least as good as Terminator and Sub Zero.

Pygmy_Potato

BF4+FF+BLK
So should we start a new thread to clear the slate for a post aftermath tier list discussion?

I know evo online getting canned has cooled competitive hype, but I’m kinda curious if there’s an early consensus on where the roster lies these days.

(Aside from Jacqui & Joker being top 5, which I feel is a given.)

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
@Vslayer
Do you know of any reputable up-to-date Tier list that includes the last patch, I've been very busy and had a crisis in my life so I've been away
And maybe a newer one that speculates on the Kustoms Patch and how that will change tiers?

It doesn't look like there are any recent tier lists on TYM. You would think pro players would be creating them left and right at the very least notable members of this community.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
@Vslayer
Do you know of any reputable up-to-date Tier list that includes the last patch, I've been very busy and had a crisis in my life so I've been away
And maybe a newer one that speculates on the Kustoms Patch and how that will change tiers?

It doesn't look like there are any recent tier lists on TYM. You would think pro players would be creating them left and right at the very least notable members of this community.

This is usually up to date. Also has links to discussions. Only recent one I can think of that's not on here is KP's.

They're usually posted on Twitter though, not TYM

Tier lists are dubious/irrelevant rn because nobody plays offline. There are a lot of them surely, but all based on Final Kombat and guesses.

LawAbidingCitizen

I mean tier lists are nice and all but once customs are out that's gonna go out of the window pretty darn quick.
I'm sure it will make some characters much better but for the most part the majority of characters only have 2-3 moves outside of their variations and some have none.
Jade will be unchanged mostly
Kabal will get better combos

Can you think of any characters besides a couple top tiers that will have insane advantages by choosing custom moves?

Can you think of any characters besides a couple top tiers that will have insane advantages by choosing custom moves?
Sub-Zero ex ball + slide + ? = top1 online
Noob slide + high damage projectile + combo teleport = top5
Shang exploding corpse + ? = top5
Liu low fireball + mixing stance + tele = top5
Jacquie pretty much the same but more damage
Sindel low scream + hair cut + ?
Geras slowing sands+clone+low sand = very good against some charcters
Cetrion tornado + port + earthquake OD against anyone who can't close distance fast/punish earthquake up far like Joker.
Joker low projectile + low jack or combo extender = ok but not that good
Sheeva directed stomp + low grab + quake or death march
Robo low pistol + grab + rocket or flamethrower

Cassie, Jax and Kotal are very good too i think, but haven't played them in customs. Scorpion's demon dash is stupid. Raiden is unchanged, his first variation still the best.

Slymind

Noob
I'm sure it will make some characters much better but for the most part the majority of characters only have 2-3 moves outside of their variations and some have none.
Jade will be unchanged mostly
Kabal will get better combos

It's not only about having access to new moves, but also combining moves you couldn't. Aside from a few characters that i feel will remain mostly the same(ex: Cetrion and Raiden) most characters will definitely benefit considerably from this.

LawAbidingCitizen

It's not only about having access to new moves, but also combining moves you couldn't. Aside from a few characters that i feel will remain mostly the same(ex: Cetrion and Raiden) most characters will definitely benefit considerably from this.
Ohh yeah I think many characters will benefit from it greatly. I just don't think it will make them completely broken

LawAbidingCitizen

I'd stick with up skulls and something else. The exploding corpses does give him more damage, more than skull combos but less than prenerf the issue I see with Exploding corpses is that it changes corpse drop amp from Overhead - Low to "Overhead - Mid"
This makes it incredibly easy to block considering the startup time. Not saying it's useless or anything but I feel there is more utility with the mix-up with corpse drop and decent damage and the pop-up from far/very far exploding corpses doesn't net that much damage being so far away so it's limited to close up mix-ups with a huge gap when done on block.

But literally anything is better than two bar tripple straight skull as a secondary. Soul Well for healing, shake for parry are very good secondaries to ground skulls

But I bet a exploding corpse drop variation can be good.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Cetrion tornado + port + earthquake OD against anyone who can't close distance fast/punish earthquake up far like Joker.

Cassie, Jax and Kotal are very good too i think, but haven't played them in customs. Scorpion's demon dash is stupid. Raiden is unchanged, his first variation still the best.
Whoa — we don’t even know what the nerfs and buffs are, what’s banned, and how the special moves will be changed.

Everything is liable to be changed, including frames, damage/scaling, meter usage, or even entire properties of how certain specials work (like Kitana’s razors).

It’s way too early to be saying who is Top What right now.. Wait for the patch notes :coffee:

I'd stick with up skulls and something else. The exploding corpses does give him more damage, more than skull combos but less than prenerf the issue I see with Exploding corpses is that it changes corpse drop amp from Overhead - Low to "Overhead - Mid"
This makes it incredibly easy to block considering the startup time. Not saying it's useless or anything but I feel there is more utility with the mix-up with corpse drop and decent damage and the pop-up from far/very far exploding corpses doesn't net that much damage being so far away so it's limited to close up mix-ups with a huge gap when done on block.

But literally anything is better than two bar tripple straight skull as a secondary. Soul Well for healing, shake for parry are very good secondaries to ground skulls

But I bet a exploding corpse drop variation can be good.
I think you are right. After playing him a bit more I prefer ermac lift now, but up skulls is great too. As for secondaries vile sorcery is better then it looks plus shake/slide depending on the matchup.

Whoa — we don’t even know what the nerfs and buffs are, what’s banned, and how the special moves will be changed.

Everything is liable to be changed, including frames, damage/scaling, meter usage, or even entire properties of how certain specials work (like Kitana’s razors).

It’s way too early to be saying who is Top What right now.. Wait for the patch notes :coffee:
Sorry I didn't make it clear, it's my opinion about current customs. No idea about the upcoming patch of course.

Upcoming patch aside, these are really great guesses as to who's gonna come out on top with customs (or even current top tier customs). I think Kitana, Kotal, and Kabal with air dash are also gonna be incredibly good. Particularly Kotal.