What's new

Twitter Hashtag to get awarenes of requesting a Ping Filter?

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
Since twitter seems to be the only place now nr listen to when people complain how about we bring the topic about adding a simple ranked/leauge ping filter either for mk11 or at least future games.
what would you suggest to use as a hashtag? #AddPingFilter ?

yeah, that topic bothers me so much that i try now to get attention to it and bitching here brings nothing...i mean come on. it affects everyone here. it baffles me that this topic goes so under compared to others and that for 4 games in a row. its the most basic feature to grant you decent matches.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Being forced into fights in obviously terrible connections in RANKED is the #1 reason why I haven't touched Kombat League in months.

If they were going to have a game mode where everyone can compete over gear and goodies and stuff you can get over time in the cash shop, okay. But this is STILL supposed to be a high-level competitive fighter, regardless of how big a casual base it has, and Ranked Modes are supposed to be where the best of all best can do that. Whether it's best to just meet other players with solid connections or not, that isn't the point; this shouldn't be an issue to begin with. Tying those two things together and creating this atmosphere, where people whose paramount interests are improving and growing as competitors have been left no choice but to butt heads with WiFi warriors who are only there for the cosmetics, and will gladly cheese their way through awful connectivity to do so, is one of the biggest mistakes by far that's been made in the life of this game this far.

Solution: seperate Ranked Mode and Kombat League completely. I think it can safely be agreed upon that KL thus far has been a wash anyway; I was perfectly content when Ranked was about the fights themselves and not the stuff you get as a result. Make it its own entity and leave it as is if the casuals need their own room to be lame for mostly lame looking gear that badly. Allow the people like myself and others who love the grind of fighting through the up and coming good and great players the world has to offer the chance to do so without having godawful connections forced upon us.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
That only tricky thing about this is that the ping number isn't actually a great representation of how good your connection to someone is.

It's the stability of the connection that matters much more, and that's tricky to represent in a single number.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
That only tricky thing about this is that the ping number isn't actually a great representation of how good your connection to someone is.

It's the stability of the connection that matters much more, and that's tricky to represent in a single number.
Indeed but it would be at least a Start. Being able to Choose the Region would help to get Stable Connection and on Top of that a Wifi Filter but i would be already happy with a simple Ping Filter to reduce the amount of Bad Matches. Thats what these Filters are about...reduce the chance of getting Bad Matches..it of course doesn't work out all the Time but other games at least try while nr doesnt really give a fuck about it for whatever reason.

Iv always felt their ping counter lies to allow people with worse connections the ability to actually play games. It keeps player retention when people dont always cancel you. Its awfuly odd though that in game its always 50+ more than advertised.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
it of course doesn't work out all the Time but other games at least try while nr doesnt really give a fuck about it for whatever reason.
Yeah, I hear you. They generally do listen to networking concerns (which is why we have one of the best examples for networking code in an engine that had some of the worst a few years ago), and why they started showing the WiFi indicator. But it might be that this is too big of a change in matchmaking to make this game and will end up in the next title instead. Who knows.

Anyway, I support people advocating for it.

mrapchem

Noob
This game needs much more than merely a ping filter for online play.

NRS needs to replace peoples' win/loss records and win odds with a display that show peoples' connection type(wired or wireless) and the connection stability(rock-solid, mostly solid, unstable & volatile).

It sucks to fight someone that was shown to be wired and have 60 ms ping and then in the match, the display shows numbers several times higher than that and the connection fluctuates constantly. That has got to go.

But, to go back to the original point of the thread, a ping filter would definitely be much appreciated.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

Yeah, there is no magic ping number. It's really the jitter stuff that ruins things. I haven't seen how it's implemented but they just added some jitter detection stuff to Skullgirls to help relay that factor. Mike Z from the recent update logs (of which there are soooo many), seem to be really looking at a way to address that issue in some way.

DOA6 has both wifi/wired icons and lets you see the signal quality over time. You get about 10 seconds to watch a connection before it auto denies the match. If you see the quality bars change several times, then you know there is a stability issue. At any rate, there has been some stuff attempting to help, but it's probably something that still needs work.

I was goofing at home and tried making a connection visualizer of sorts to try and display jitter and track ping numbers over time. I tried a couple of things like plotting individual pings in bar lines and dancing icons. When jitter gets bad it's pretty wild what it translated into. It seems like there something there that could be done to help "show" what connection quality looks like to regular people. It's hard to get nontechnical people to understand why something that normally "just works" like WiFi doesn't work for a niche genre of video games. Another big obstacle is that connection quality fluctuates a lot, and you need time to evaluate one. How much time can you take to do an evaluation before it is an annoyance or becomes good enough for what you need?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
This game needs much more than merely a ping filter for online play.

NRS needs to replace peoples' win/loss records and win odds with a display that show peoples' connection type(wired or wireless)
The game already does this.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
Yeah, I hear you. They generally do listen to networking concerns (which is why we have one of the best examples for networking code in an engine that had some of the worst a few years ago), and why they started showing the WiFi indicator. But it might be that this is too big of a change in matchmaking to make this game and will end up in the next title instead. Who knows.

Anyway, I support people advocating for it.
that would be at least something when future games will have it but they didnt cared for 4 games in a row without any kind of huge "backlash" on it so maybe its time to ask for it directly.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Tired of you all bitching about KL. It SUCKS, it ALWAYS WILL. Even with a ping filter. KL will be A W F U L. You wanna play 2/3 sets against randoms to earn gray skins? What is the appeal?

You are on a website DEDICATED to matchmaking, sharing tech, and gitting gud... try matchmaking with players who use characters you have problems with or just matchmake in general.