What's new

Tweedy Wins Injustice: A Combo Breaker Retrospective

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Let's totally disregard that Crimson pointed out that there was a traditional results thread which also happened to not contain spoilers and complain about this thread having spoilers.

Sorry you caught the thread with spoilers, but this horse has been beaten to death. It's up to the thread creator to include or omit them. Since there is NO rule against spoilers, you KNOW you run the risk and yet still complain about it.

Charybdis and Hawkman have both been making a valiant effort to not put spoilers in the thread titles lately. Yet here we are, it's still getting questioned.

No one has to explain why they have "the right" to post spoilers. Their site, their rules. You know this and agree to it every single time you come to the site.

Let's move on from it already.
The spoiler is in the title so talking about another thread doesn't really... make any difference. it's fine though TYM is in the dark ages and that's how the egotists want it to remain, it's all been hashed out by now so I guess we leave it as is. This topic always cracks me up though

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think it is clear that Theo and Sonic at least have spent to much time in DBZ. I would bet dollars to donuts that Theo spent more time in DBZ than IJ recently.

As for the rest.. I think there is fatigue around injustices. I do not think it is really a coinkydink that all the legends that drooped out are mostly older players. Maybe even ones that have a "true" allegiance to MK. There seems to be a general feeing of IJ2 wrapping up and while Pro Series Season 2 was announced recently, I think a lot of people had started to move on and slide into a more casual arrangement. Maybe if Pro Series was announced sooner?

I tend to think that these older players will come back super strong.. with the War of the God starting up again as a weekly giving people tons of competitive practise and the reality of the huge cash prise in the Season 2 Pro Series.. I think a lot of players will be back in the lab with a pen and a pad trying to get the damn label off.

But my question is to Crimson specifically, why he thinks he has the right to spoil results on the main page.
I'm kind of weary of rehashing this over and over again, but since you seem genuinely curious: https://testyourmight.com/threads/spoilers-in-thread-titles-debate.63365/
Simple solution to that.. stop doing it. Other mods have taken the initiative and starting putting results in spoilers and using neutral titles. Maybe you should as well. It affects you exactly ZERO percent, but not doing upsets "x" amount of users of TYM.. so by doping something so trivial as format your post with a little more care you could make the entire site a better place. When it costs you nothing, when it effects you in no way.. why would anyone get al stubborn about it. Just stop doing it. There is a reason EVERY thread this comes up.. because it upsets the hell out of a large number of users.. and you could avoid all that by just not putting spoilers in the title and putting results in spoiler tags.. like other mods now do. That is what I really do not get. The fix for this is so simple and then everyone is happy.

Last edited:

God Confirm

It's curious how this comes up every time lol.

You would think, as mods... you number one goal would be to KEEP people coming to the site, not "don't come here until you find the time to watch every tournament you eventually plan on watching but weren't able to live"

Wonder why every other community has these rules, even FGC ones. It's really strange huh lool

God Confirm

The fix for this is so simple and then everyone is happy.
Nope, plenty of people will be unhappy, you're forgetting the two big arguments against it.

#1, this is how we've always done it (always the best reason against change)
#2, and this the big one - egotist tournament winners don't get their name in titles on this forum, that they all shit and abandoned for twitter anyway

Just accept it's not going to change Jynx and have a chuckle at it

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There is a reason EVERY thread this comes up.. because it upsets the hell out of a large number of users..
"Large number of users"

Poll has 90% "Just do it".

Sorry but you've lost this one, and it's time to give it a rest. I'm just going to clean further complaints of yours out of these threads. To everyone: please stay on topic from here on out, as I'm just going to remove any further derailing of this thread.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Dose anyone know what happened to Dragon? I heard he turned up and then got DQ'd?

"Sorry but you've lost this one,
Hey.. I didn't bring it up.. nor have I ever after the VERY first time like in MKx days. If you guy do not want to do it.. that's cool... it is your world. Though this will happen again, and again and again and again. So the choice if yours.. but do not get annoyed next event when you do it and some other random dude also satrts the entire thing up again cuase that is what will happen. . next time and the time after that.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
It's up to the thread creator to include or omit them. Since there is NO rule against spoilers, you KNOW you run the risk and yet still complain about it.
Perhaps there should be a rule for it then, to ensure consistency.

If the rule is that spoilers are in the title then people know not to come here until after they've watched a tournament (which they should be doing anyway tbh, I don't know why people would risk coming here if they don't want to be spoiled.)
If the rule is no spoilers in the title then people know they can browse the site secure in the knowledge that they won't be spoiled.

If it's up to the thread creator then you have no idea whether you're safe from spoilers or not.

Personally, I don't care either way, I don't visit the site until I've caught up, but I feel like there definitely needs to be a rule in place otherwise this topic is going to continue being brought up.

Error

DF2+R2
Dose anyone know what happened to Dragon? I heard he turned up and then got DQ'd?

Hey.. I didn't bring it up.. nor have I ever after the VERY first time like in MKx days. If you guy do not want to do it.. that's cool... it is your world. Though this will happen again, and again and again and again. So the choice if yours.. but do not get annoyed next event when you do it and some other random dude also satrts the entire thing up again cuase that is what will happen. . next time and the time after that.
He's been having issues with panic attacks according to his Twitter and decided to self DQ from the tourney.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
While I appreciate the props to me and the other news guys for the work we do, this is the thing that kind of grinds my gears: people get upset randomly one day about spoilers in a results post. So we make it a point to leave spoilers out of thread titles. This post discussing Tweedy's win has gotten more activity than the non-spoilers one. When my job is to get people engaging with the site more, that kind of tells me we should just go back to spoilers in the titles so we can get people at least popping on to complain.

If there's something different we can be doing to get people on board, let us know! Clearly, the news team is open to criticism so we can change things up, if me doing the big wall of text is too much say something. Tried to break things up with stream grabs this time around, but I was on public wi-fi all weekend so I know they didn't come out great.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
While I appreciate the props to me and the other news guys for the work we do, this is the thing that kind of grinds my gears: people get upset randomly one day about spoilers in a results post. So we make it a point to leave spoilers out of thread titles. This post discussing Tweedy's win has gotten more activity than the non-spoilers one. When my job is to get people engaging with the site more, that kind of tells me we should just go back to spoilers in the titles so we can get people at least popping on to complain.

If there's something different we can be doing to get people on board, let us know! Clearly, the news team is open to criticism so we can change things up, if me doing the big wall of text is too much say something. Tried to break things up with stream grabs this time around, but I was on public wi-fi all weekend so I know they didn't come out great.
You did everything perfectly fine. That’s the reason this thread has more activity, because people don’t understand why you put in all the work and you purposely didn’t spoil the results in the thread title OR even in the OP, but then this thread basically deletes your efforts.

Don’t worry man, you’re doing a fantastic job and no one has an issue with you.

I think we should make a “no spoiler in thread titles” rule. The only argument for spoilers is for props for the winner. You know, the top players that stopped coming to this site. Most people don’t care about spoilers, but they also wouldn’t care if they WEREN’T spoiled. But some DO care if there’s spoilers. So following common sense, we should just make a rule to not post spoilers in thread titles.

This post discussing Tweedy's win has gotten more activity than the non-spoilers one. When my job is to get people engaging with the site more, that kind of tells me we should just go back to spoilers in the titles so we can get people at least popping on to complain.
In all fairness, most of this thread is just the same old conversation again. Your thread was clean and on topic, this one is a total mess and just causing divisions between members. Also, this entire thread is basically a snip of your original post as you had already posted this exact topic and this one just knocked it off the front page spot. It got more attention for that reason as much as anything.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Very good read. I disagree however about that the top guys were resting on their accomplishments on the way to this tourney, I think it all happened because that the other guys just managed to level up in order to push the top guys away. Maybe they aren't yet the that very level, but they can still beat them. And FTR this is not true just for IJ2, but also for MK9 and MKX. In any event, all 3 tournaments of MK9, MKX and IJ2 at CB were excellent, and the community and the scene are indeed in a great place, and it's gonna get even better.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
In all fairness, most of this thread is just the same old conversation again. Your thread was clean and on topic, this one is a total mess and just causing divisions between members. Also, this entire thread is basically a snip of your original post as you had already posted this exact topic and this one just knocked it off the front page spot. It got more attention for that reason as much as anything.
This isn't a results post. The entire point of this thread was to discuss the implications behind what happened, why, and what it means for our community/the future.

Also, I didn't front page this thread! You seem really desperate to attack what was not intended to be a replacement in the first place. This community needs more discussion, and less of doing the same old things (since we barely read or discuss them anyway when they're mostly identical).

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Very good read. I disagree however about that the top guys were resting on their accomplishments on the way to this tourney, I think it all happened because that the other guys just managed to level up in order to push the top guys away. Maybe they aren't yet the that very level, but they can still beat them. And FTR this is not true just for IJ2, but also for MK9 and MKX. In any event, all 3 tournaments of MK9, MKX and IJ2 at CB were excellent, and the community and the scene are indeed in a great place, and it's gonna get even better.
I honestly don't think they've been pushed away -- I'm sure they'll be back. This was just a wake-up call that 1) People have been putting in work to get better, but also mainly that 2) Whoever is hungrier for these wins is going to edge out people who may have already assumed that they're good enough. I think that this isn't set in stone, which makes it really interesting for tournaments coming up.

Deep33

Noob
The faster your projectile and the more chip it has, ya win in this stupid game. Sit your large ass down with star fire and have another donut boyz (on second thought, make it several more). Combo Breaker will be yours then.

This stupid tournament made me realize how incredible MKX was/is and how much i love my Displacer Raiden. Bye now.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
The faster your projectile and the more chip it has, ya win in this stupid game. Sit your large ass down with star fire and have another donut boyz (on second thought, make it several more). Combo Breaker will be yours then.

This stupid tournament made me realize how incredible MKX was/is and how much i love my Displacer Raiden. Bye now.
lmao.

If only there were characters who 6-4 Starfire amirite

To be completely honest I grow tired of reading stuff like this. If it was as easy as everyone claims it is, then everyone would do it. But they don't. Because it's not that simple. Stardust has ridiculous recovery and is extremely scary to use against characters with teleports, mobility, or just MB rolls even. Yea trait helps cover it but then you're using a resource and even then you can get around it, it's just a little harder and riskier, as it should be if the opponent is using a resource

Honeybee and Biohazard both played Starfire as well and still lost. In fact Tweedy made about a 50% life comeback against Bio's Starfire (Mirror match) which is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to do than people give it credit for. In that situations you can't afford trades in zoning, and you're playing against one of the best zoners in the game, with some of the best chip damage in the game, so your gameplan has to be completely flawless. There's no set-play factor there, there's just reads after reads after reads which shows the level of skill that Tweedy was able to offer.

This "Carried by X character" bullshit doesn't exist at the current state of the game, everyone had the option to play Starfire, some people did, and they still lost anyway.

Last edited:

Deep33

Noob
lmao.

If only there were characters who 6-4 Starfire amirite

To be completely honest I grow tired of reading stuff like this. If it was as easy as everyone claims it is, then everyone would do it. But they don't. Because it's not that simple. Stardust has ridiculous recovery and is extremely scary to use against characters with teleports, mobility, or just MB rolls even. Yea trait helps cover it but then you're using a resource and even then you can get around it, it's just a little harder and riskier, as it should be if the opponent is using a resource

Honeybee and Biohazard both played Starfire as well and still lost. In fact Tweedy made about a 50% life comeback against Bio's Starfire (Mirror match) which is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to do than people give it credit for. In that situations you can't afford trades in zoning, and you're playing against one of the best zoners in the game, with some of the best chip damage in the game, so your gameplan has to be completely flawless. There's no set-play factor there, there's just reads after reads after reads which shows the level of skill that Tweedy was able to offer.

This "Carried by X character" bullshit doesn't exist at the current state of the game, everyone had the option to play Starfire, some people did, and they still lost anyway.
Biohazard is a much more sophisticated player than anyone from Donutville Arkansas. But, he decided to be a character loyalist, stuck with Bane and went 2 down. He completely LOST HIS SAFETYNET and the stress levels were high a.k.a impairs performance. He took starfire at 0-2, got it to a 2-2 and barely lost game 5. This is bound to happen when you consider that miniscule yet significant role luck plays in FGs. The lack of a safetynet cost him. Even if he had switched right over to Starfire after his first loss with Bane at 0-1, he would have won. Biohazard, DON'T EVER be a character loyalist in this stupid game when money's on the line man.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Biohazard is a much more sophisticated player than anyone from Donutville Arkansas. But, he decided to be a character loyalist, stuck with Bane and went 2 down. He completely LOST HIS SAFETYNET and the stress levels were high a.k.a impairs performance. He took starfire at 0-2, got it to a 2-2 and barely lost game 5. This is bound to happen when you consider that miniscule yet significant role luck plays in FGs. The lack of a safetynet cost him. Even if he had switched right over to Starfire after his first loss with Bane at 0-1, he would have won. Biohazard, DON'T EVER be a character loyalist in this stupid game when money's on the line man.
Nothing wrong with character loyalty, it's just that Bane probably isn't the best character to be loyal to lol.

Bio lost to Tweedy because Tweedy played the better game. Bio went into CB knowing full well that Bane loses a good chunk of common matchups like Starfire and Fate but decided to stick with it, and should've understood that Tweedy had been grinding Starfire and Fate for a good while, among other players, including Honeybee. He had a pocket Starfire but it's a pocket at the end of the day. Bio picking Starfire at 0-1 instead of 0-2 doesn't guarantee a win, he might have if he did, but you can't say for sure.

Tweedy went into CB having an equally diverse cast of characters and understood who the best characters would be for the MU's he's likely to encounter and he grinded those characters to death. Tweedy was prepared as fuck for CB and understood the meta of the game, and it complemented his skill with Starfire and Fate perfectly - He was prepared for basically every MU in the game with his roster.

Also didn't realise we allowed cyberbullying on this website but that's none of my business.