What's new

Tweedy (Frost) vs Ninjakilla (Liu Kang) @ CEO 2019 Top 8

Thoughts? Not really sure why frost exactly lol.
Some points:
  • as expected, 13 and b22 were pretty much the only strings he used in neutral (344 once or twice)
  • lot of jump kick into bf4, I usually go for df2 cancel instead
  • tried to punish flying kick with 13, whiffed as expected lol
  • didn't notice any special tech, his combo after d2 kb was pretty sub optimal (30%, you can get more than 40)
  • once ninjakilla figured out all tweedy was doing in close range was grabbing in plus frames (jump kick grab, poke grab, etc) game was over
Still, props to tweedy for trying this out, ggs

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think tweedy is taking a que from Foxy... She was always his day 1 main and he just digs her, and thinks there is tech in there... Foxy a while back pubicly said fuck it.. playing characters you do not like is to much like work and went back to Kung Loa and his love and energy with the character took him ti top 3. I suspect Tweedy was looking at that and thinking along similar lines. It is no secret Tweedy has been having a hard time of late.. I think (and I have nothing but intuition on this) that he just wants to find the fun again... and how do you find the fun? You play your favorites.

I wouldn't be surprised is he is maining her by the next major and gets into top 8

trufenix

bye felicia

Thoughts? Not really sure why frost exactly lol.
Because Baraka vs Liu Kang is the worst and I'm sure he knew NK knew how to play the MU. It looked (to me) like he went with Frost because of the zoning and the lack of breakaway risk. Scoring about 15% chip off every b+2,2 wasn't half bad either.

Some points:
  • as expected, 13 and b22 were pretty much the only strings he used in neutral (344 once or twice)
  • lot of jump kick into bf4, I usually go for df2 cancel instead
  • tried to punish flying kick with 13, whiffed as expected lol
  • didn't notice any special tech, his combo after d2 kb was pretty sub optimal (30%, you can get more than 40)
  • once ninjakilla figured out all tweedy was doing in close range was grabbing in plus frames (jump kick grab, poke grab, etc) game was over
Still, props to tweedy for trying this out, ggs

don't forget db+2 being completely irrelevant from all ranges and d,d+2 having ZERO deterrent to Liu Kang's fireball game, even when he was meterless. Ugh, poor Frost.

FreshFromTheDeli

FrostFromTheDeli
He should of mixed up his D1 poke into grab by instead doing D1 into hop attack.

Also 223 string can catch someone off guard but only works once per match in my experience.

Did not see him use the D4 into BF3 frame trap.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
As a Frost main, he did the worst MU for Frost. He missed a lot of opportunities to deal against Liu. Allow me to explain.

1) Right at the start of the match, he could do 13xxFreeze (Amp DB4), j.2, B32D1, 1, dash, 13xxDrill (BF4) for maximum midscreen combo damage, but instead he did the 134, which was the OH at her string. First mistake.

2) Instead of spamming BF3, he could spam DB2 for zoning, since this leads to the HKD. BF3 is just a kind of a restand (which similarly the DB4 has). Second mistake.

3) He could even go for D4xxDB2B for OKI setup to add more damage against them. This somehow prevents them from jumping at the right distance. They would have no other choice than to either risk their ass to charge in, or to block low. Third mistake.

4) At corner, he did j.4xxDrill. He didn't even do this: j.4, 13xxFreeze, j.4, 4xxDrill for a bit more damage. Same goes for the other corner carry combo that he could even do double B32D1. Fourth mistake.

5) For pressure, he never used the other strings. Only B22 and 13. The other strings are useless, because they're either high and fast, or mid and slow with huge gaps, except of 344, which is a good baiting one. He didn't even use B3, which is the only low starter for the string, and Ninja didn't know that. Fifth mistake.

6) He used too much that useless Ice Barrier (DD3), and it did cost him too much. He could even get close and jump a bit like a froggo. That Ice Barrier, that you guys saw, is slow AF and can be ridden with one projectile. If Amp, it's getting faster and further, but AGAIN be ridden with one projectile. Final mistake.

And for all those mistakes he did, he got DLed by Ninjakillah.

Frost is suffering from her strings having too many highs as string starters leading to mid, and then to either low or OH. What's worse, almost all of her slow strings, like B22 and B12, have HUGE AF gaps. And now, after seeing the match, I'll have to add to the list of useless specials her BF3, because it has a gap, but it's good for far AA.

This is why most have dropped her, thanks to NRS.

Last edited:

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Doesn’t seem like tweedy has been playing much Frost, he didn’t do anything special or utilize any set ups and his zoning wasn’t that strong. Props to him for using her and I like using her in that matchup too even tho she loses.
#BuffFrost

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
They really need to polish this character up a bit, she looks so awkward even with a great player like Tweedy. The zoning is there, the corner game is there, good wakeups, she has spacing... But the jump kicks into whiffed specials, whiffed punishes, whiffed microburst, D3 into jump in... It's ugly. If she was more consistent and solid up close then I think players could be more patient with her. All props to Tweedy for pulling her out and putting on a show though

Thought Tweedy the buffalobird was gonna quit esports altogether and go work at McDonalds? Rite, any real job would consume more calories than sittin around pressing buttons.
Get laid

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
He's a great player but a few things in his performance made me feel conflicted, other than the non-optimal combos ppl have already mentioned.
  1. Liu Kang wants to be in your face and Frost needs to be slightly further than sweep distance to be as effective as possible. Yet he chose to try to zone for a lot of the matches.
  2. You can outzone Liu Kang as Frost if full screen. He only has single projectiles (unless amplified), yet Tweedy barely used the shield to absorb or full screen arc projectile for the hard knockdown. Instead he opted to trade with basic BF3....
  3. When you hit confirm a D1 or D3, I feel it's best to go for B12. The poke gives you a hit advantage of 10 and the B1 comes out in 16 frames, making the move come out in 6 frames for the opponent. Unless your facing Geras, LK has to respect it or else you cancel B12~Microburst for a full combo or go with B12~Spin or B121 to stay safe. Going for a grab or a naked Spin isnt the best option if you hit confirm a poke IMO
  4. B22's second hit can be flawless blocked so if I saw my opponent attempting to do that, I would start throwing B2~DB2B to catch them letting go of block and getting a hard knockdown.
Despite this though, shoutout for Tweedy for using a subpar character in a major competition.

EDIT: I wanna add that its very easy to be critical of a person's performance as observers. That fact that he did as well as he did vs NinjaKilla is no small feat.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
This was the best match of top 8. I’ve said it several times now but these two guys deserve to be sponsored. The tournaments are just better with them there.

When Tweedy won with Frost and NinjaKilla clapping and Tweedy smiling, then the fist bump... maaaan, that was wholesome AF

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
If you have a string with high starter, it should be super fast (punish) or long range. Otherwise it's useless.
Considering that she used to be Sub Zero's pupil, she should have been fast and have the same pressure as Jacqui, but no... They left her incomplete and too unsafe for most of the matches. Even Cyber Sub Zero was faster than her.

And a string with high starter isn't always good. They need to rework her and make a low starter the same faster as the high starter, for good pressure.